Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Truck will not start when warm.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck will not start when warm.

My trucks being goofy. A few months ago the starter started to go, I'd hit it with a hammer and she'd fire up for me.

Yesterday I got stuck 15 minutes out of town because the truck wouldent start, tried the hammer thing, didnt work. Tried to start it 45 minutes later and she started.

Getting tired of this I decided to use my tax refund wisely and get a new starter. I put the new starter in and she started up except I could here the new starter sticking and made noises for a couple seconds after start, so I went back to lordco to trade in my old starter for 40 bucks for the coil expecting maybe the noises was just from breaking in a new starter (sorry if that sounds retarded to some of you, I aint no mechanic), went to leave and nothing just a tick from the starter. Hitting it with a hammer didnt work, and they closed right after.

The truck slept at lordco overnight, and guess what? When I came back the today she started no problem (except with the noises). I took the truck home and tried to start again just for kicks and nothing. So I took the starter out and replaced it with a new one from lordco.

New starter in, no noises on the start, buuut, after driving into town, she didn't start again. Just a tick.

Please if anyone has had similar problems and knows the fix let me know, I'm getting waay to frustrated over this. Thanks

EDIT: No longer seems to be when warm, wont start even cold sometimes now. Maybe 1 of 7 times I try and drive it wont start. (Not 1 of 7 key turns but when I want to go somewhere)

Last edited by ClintonP929; 03-15-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
We need to hear some noises (actually, your description of same.)

The "hammer" solution is for when the pinon gear is burred to that it won't engage the ring gear (you hear the starter whine - pretty loud), OR when the solenoid contacts are getting flaky (you hear a "clunk" with the key-turn, and nothing else).

If all you hear is a "tick," that's probably just the starter relay (you didn't give a year/model, but I think the relay came in around '89). Most likely, the relay is bad (and even though it clicks, it doesn't close the contacts), or you've got a wiring problem to the starter. "Hammering" the starter could jiggle a bad wire into place, but most likely it's just a coincidence; once cooled, the iffy relay or wires relax into place.

Which one is it? That's what you use your multimeter for. Don't start changing parts (like the relay, or the starter) just because that's "easy." You can run out of money quickly.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
We need to hear some noises (actually, your description of same.)

The "hammer" solution is for when the pinon gear is burred to that it won't engage the ring gear (you hear the starter whine - pretty loud), OR when the solenoid contacts are getting flaky (you hear a "clunk" with the key-turn, and nothing else).

If all you hear is a "tick," that's probably just the starter relay (you didn't give a year/model, but I think the relay came in around '89). Most likely, the relay is bad (and even though it clicks, it doesn't close the contacts), or you've got a wiring problem to the starter. "Hammering" the starter could jiggle a bad wire into place, but most likely it's just a coincidence; once cooled, the iffy relay or wires relax into place.

Which one is it? That's what you use your multimeter for. Don't start changing parts (like the relay, or the starter) just because that's "easy." You can run out of money quickly.
Sorry its an '89 Pickup v6, and yes all I hear is a tick now. Thanks! I don't see a relay in the fuse box, is it located somewhere else?

EDIT: I just tried started it again and it started, and the noise is back. i recorded it, and put it on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE8M...ature=youtu.be noise was not there before I changed starter, only tick.

Last edited by ClintonP929; 03-14-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:20 PM

*Bump* Please help, its my daily driver and no very useful in its current state
Old 03-15-2015, 03:02 PM

If it's a manual tranny, have you tried the clutch start cancel switch?
Old 03-17-2015, 01:07 PM

Couple new updates. Checked the alternator and it read 14.4v steady. Googled and found out thats normal voltage for the alternator running and it should be good. After running truck checked my battery with my multi-meter I could see it losing power, So I got a new battery. Didnt friggen help. Used multi-meter to check power going into starter, and it read 12.5v. So stumped right now.

also its a auto. no clutch start cancel switch.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ClintonP929
Couple new updates. Checked the alternator and it read 14.4v steady. Googled and found out thats normal voltage for the alternator running and it should be good. After running truck checked my battery with my multi-meter I could see it losing power, So I got a new battery. Didnt friggen help. Used multi-meter to check power going into starter, and it read 12.5v. So stumped right now.

also its a auto. no clutch start cancel switch.
12.5 is all right without the engine running. I don't know where the neutral start switch is for the auto. Have you looked at that?
Old 03-17-2015, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by grumpin
12.5 is all right without the engine running. I don't know where the neutral start switch is for the auto. Have you looked at that?
No, but I will thanks.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:43 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by ClintonP929
*Bump* Please help, its my daily driver and no very useful in its current state
Make this special service tool

It will do two things:
1) Help US diagnose your issue, AND
2) Could help her get started in case problem occurs.

IF SST consistently cranks her right up, find FSM/schematic for your truck.

Also need to find where the Click is coming from.
Starter relay?
Starter solenoid?

Need to find your starter relay. Could be in a relay block
here?
Name:  1991-1995_Relay_Block_2_zpse0c89c78.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  49.4 KB

We could not be sure. You would have to find it yourself, because you're the one who can hear and feel the click.

Once you let us know what you find out, we'll go from there.