Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Truck keeps pushing antifreeze out

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck keeps pushing antifreeze out

My 94 truck with 22re keeps pushing antifreeze out from around the cap area(I think). The motor and radiator were replaced 2 years ago and a transmission a year later. Everything is pretty new still. Recently it has been pushing fluid out within a few miles of driving. I can smell the antifreeze, and I assume that's when it's pushing back. No water in oil or no signs of head gasket trouble. I took it to my shop that put everything in and he said he put the gauges onvital and drove it with no high pressures showing, but something is causing it to build up and blow antifreeze. I put a new cap on today and it still did it, maybe a little worse than before. I had a 13# cap and put on a new 19#. Any ideas what's causing this??

according to the temp gauge, it never runs hot. The temp is always in normal operating range. I'm wondering if it isn't blowing back when the thermostat opens or is supposed to be opening

Last edited by fountain; 02-10-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:49 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Spent the 20-30$ on an OEM cap and thermostat, from a dealership. Make sure your overflow tube is clear. The heater hoses are where they should be and all the heat shields are in place. Verify the radiator has the right fill neck.. and purge the air from the system, Use a lisel "burping funnel" run it till it stops purging air and let it heat cycle a few times keeping the funnel topped up at least midway.

If that doesn't do it and your sure it's not combustion gasses, you've got some coolant passages blocked off and the pump is pushing it out because it can't flow where it should be.