86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

truck bouncing after ZUK install and Top removed

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
truck bouncing after ZUK install and Top removed

So I did some searching and it looks like all the symptoms point to shocks, but I want to be sure since you all are so smart.

I havent driven my truck much since it has been on jack stands while I have been working on it. After doing wheel bearings, big brake upgrade, zuk mod in the rear with 13 inch 125lb springs, removed top for my DIY bikini, I took my truck for a ride and the darn thing is bouncing all over the place and vibrating harshly through the whole truck and in the steering wheel at 50 mph +. I had a friend drive next to me and he said the wheels looked like they were shaking and bouncing. it feels like its coming from the rear.

I just never noticed or had the problem before all those mods. the rear was really sunken down before I did the Zuk, and that is what I suspect, but Im worried I jacked up the wheel bearing install or something else?

if you guys do think shocks are the issue, could you recommend some for on/off road?
Old 10-03-2014, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anything in the rear shouldn't cause the steering wheel to shimmy. i'd jack the front end up with the wheels off the ground and check for play in the front end.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:42 AM

the only thing I did to the front was to change the rotors and calipers and change the wheel bearings and seals. Ill jack it up and see if I find anything.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have never changed the rear shocks, that could definitely be causing a bouncing issue. I would buy some shocks that are a little longer than stock to handle the slight "lift" you have on there now.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:00 AM

Yeah the rears looks old, but no leaking that I can see. The fronts look older too, but I think they have been replaced because they are blue. this may be bad reasoning though...
Old 10-04-2014, 07:13 PM

I checked for play and the right front wheel (passenger) has like an inch of play with the steering wheel locked. Does this sound bad or normal? From what I've read idler arms most commonly go bad... Any way to tell if that is my problem?
Old 10-07-2014, 01:54 PM

anyone else?
Old 10-07-2014, 02:02 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddyota
I checked for play and the right front wheel (passenger) has like an inch of play with the steering wheel locked. Does this sound bad or normal? From what I've read idler arms most commonly go bad... Any way to tell if that is my problem?
Get you a helper with good eyes, wiggle the wheel, and see where the lost motion is.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
which wheels were bouncing?

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
If you have never changed the rear shocks, that could definitely be causing a bouncing issue. I would buy some shocks that are a little longer than stock to handle the slight "lift" you have on there now.
+1
Stock length shocks, even IF they are functional would limit the lift and be under tension. That will cause rough ride.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:32 AM

Resolved

so....Im a newb. I put the lug nuts on backwards and they were seated all jacked up causing one of my front tires to wobble like crazy. flipped the lugs around and voila - fixed.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:20 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to guess wheel bearings needed regreased... Not sure how you put lug nuts backwards? Reverse threading them?

As far as your shocks/struts, replace them w/ quality -- Bilstein, Procomp, etc. You should be able to remove the Zuk mod and have an overall better ride.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:09 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddyota
... flipped the lugs around and voila - fixed.
Oh My! Where in San Diego are you? I have an 86, too. We should compare notes. THere's a San Diego 4Runners FB group. Various gens.

Originally Posted by RSR
As far as your shocks/struts, replace them w/ quality -- ...You should be able to remove the Zuk mod and have an overall better ride.
O.P.'s 1986 MoreFunner does not have struts. Leaf springs carry the weight in the back, and they are flat, hence the Zuk mod as low-cost solution. Removing the Zuk would make rear sag again. Shocks will not fix the rear sag.

Shocks only smoothen the ride.
Going East-West in this intersection at maximum legal speed limit is good test for suspension
Old 10-11-2014, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by RSR
I was going to guess wheel bearings needed regreased... Not sure how you put lug nuts backwards? Reverse threading them?

As far as your shocks/struts, replace them w/ quality -- Bilstein, Procomp, etc. You should be able to remove the Zuk mod and have an overall better ride.
Yeah my lugs have tapered ends.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Oh My! Where in San Diego are you? I have an 86, too. We should compare notes. THere's a San Diego 4Runners FB group. Various gens.

O.P.'s 1986 MoreFunner does not have struts. Leaf springs carry the weight in the back, and they are flat, hence the Zuk mod as low-cost solution. Removing the Zuk would make rear sag again. Shocks will not fix the rear sag.

Shocks only smoothen the ride.
Going East-West in this intersection at maximum legal speed limit is good test for suspension

Yeah man I'm in the eastlake otay ranch area but I don't have FB