Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Trouble getting into gears

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble getting into gears

I recently replaced my clutch and soon as I get back on the road, I now have problems shifting gears. Pretty much all the gears. Sometimes all are fine, sometimes can't get into any gear easily. Example: when I try shifting into 1st, it gets almost into gear, close enough that anybody else would think it is in gear, but it isn't. I can ease off the clutch and sometimes it will fall into gear and sometimes it will grind. If it grinds I just keep little pressure on it until the grinding stops and then it will go into gear. It is pretty much the same situation with all 5 gears. I was told by a not very reliable friend that it sounds like synchros are out. I could understand that, but, would changing a clutch cause them to get damaged? I tried searching for people with similar situations but couldn't find any. I am sure they are there I just am not good with searching. Any ideas? Ya'll got me through the clutch change with no problems. Vehicle is an 89 4runner 22re. Not sure what transmission this is since I don't have it with me. Thanks in advance for any help or directing me to a thread that has already discussed this issue.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:35 AM

check this out..........mine was very similiar. May not be it but I'd check it before going further. I just welded mine up.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...h-what-197912/
Old 12-03-2009, 07:25 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Wow, another one of those grinding clutch problems. third thread in a week.

I agree check the clutch pedal bracket and also I had the same problem and fixed it by adjusting the rod under the pedal, to make the rod push into the master a little more. My guess is the Original owner adjusted the clutch pedal to compensate for the fact the clutch was wore and I didnt notice it till I put in the new clutch.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:25 AM

Thanks. After reading this and several other threads I am confident this is what it is. That would explain why I have to push it all the way to the floor to get it to crank. Assuming for now this is the problem, where would be a good place to buy a new one that is stronger? I don't have a welder or anyone close by to weld it for me. I read that the new brackets are between $100 and $150. If I spend the better part of a day replacing a part I want it to cost atleast $100. But I want it to last the life of the vehicle cuz I never want to redo it. Can I find these on EBAY?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:27 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
to my knowledge there is no aftermarket bracket available. You have to get one from the dealership, keep in mind the switch under the pedal also tends to move which is also adjustable. Also the "toyota" problem with floor mats can also cause the clutch pedal not to go down far enough for the switch and clutch to engage as well. You won't know what's going on there unless your head is under the dash while pressing on the pedal. As for the life, you've got a vehicle that's 20-25 years old and assuming the bracket is the problem, it finally broke. not too bad a lifetime IMO. Why change to aftermarket when you know a dealer part lasted 20-25 years.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 12-03-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:38 AM

I'd take the bracket off and get a shop to fix it up for you before buying another one. I took mine off, welded what was there back together and then welded a 1/8" piece of flat bar (bent at a 90 degree angle around the corner) on it. I'll be dang if I EVER want to deal with getting that POS of of there again!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:53 AM

I understand that welding it would be the cheapest way to go. I am very happy with everything on the truck since it has all lasted 285k miles with little or no issues. I guess I would be happy with OEM part, but didn't know if I could get it anywhere other than a dealership, I never trust those places. I may try to find a place that can weld it up pretty quick. I hate wasting time midway through jobs. Sometimes it makes more sense for me to just spend the money so that once I take out the old, I can replace with the new, as opposed to take out the old, drive all the way to town, check the few places open on weekends, then spend the next day putting a possibly half-assed replaced part back into it. I don't know welding enough to know when something was done right. I guess it will depend on the cost of the new part. So, assuming this is the issue, is there any other place I can buy this part than a dealership? Thanks for ya'lls help so far.