86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tried to fix fuel gauge and now the Runner won't start...Please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried to fix fuel gauge and now the Runner won't start...Please help

I bought this 4runner a couple days ago from Prescott Valley, it's a nice 87 with the 22rec. I guess it is a special edition for some reason. I can't figure it out.

Anyway, the gas gauge was broke so I was trying to track down the problem. I pulled out the fuel pump and realized that I would have to drop the tank to get to the sending unit, so I put it back together so I could take the Runner to a friends house for some help. Well now it won't start.

I was thinking maybe because the fuel hadn't got into the lines all the way but i've pumped the gas, tried to push start it...the pump sounds like it is coming on just fine but it's like it isn't getting enough gas.

I'd love some help, thank you.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Pumping the gas on a fuel injected engine doesn`t do anything when the engine isn`t running. Are you sure the fuel pump is plugged in ?, is there gas in the tank ?.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
find somebody to help you cycle the pump by attempting to crank the truck and crack the fuel lines and see if it is sending fuel

what did the pump look like when you pulled it? Covered in sludge or clean?

Last edited by REDYOTA; 10-27-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:12 PM

It was clean, there is probably five or six gallons in the tank.
By cracking the lines do you mean pulling the top two off and turning the key?
Should gas come out of the lines off of the pump?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You can crack the line at the tank or at the fuel filter. When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced ?.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:25 PM

I was refering to the fuel lines under the hood that connect to the fuel rail, i've got the 3.0 and am not as familiar with the 22 but on mine there are banjo fittings where the fuel lines connect to the rails

Dont remove the line completely just loosen it a few turns so it will release the fuel when it pressurizes, this will let you know if your pump is functioning and if your getting fuel to your injectors, you can start at the front and work your way back to the filter and pump, or start at the pump, i'm an optimist so i usually start at the rails

on the 3.0 they are accessable without removing anything, not sure about the 22, maybe someone more familiar with the 22 will chime in

Last edited by REDYOTA; 10-26-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:57 PM

I haven't changed the filter since i've had it. But would it just happen to go out while I was messing with the pump?
Old 10-26-2010, 07:35 PM

The fuel pump only runs when you crank the engine. It does not energize like alot of pumps do. You can also put a gage on the fuel rail to determine if any fuel is flowing.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:28 AM

i was messing with mine one day and had a similar problem for a few seconds. then i realized that the fuel sending unit plug was not plugged in. (the three pin connector with the white case). for some reason i think the truck ecu requires both the sending unit and the fuel pump to be plugged in for it to crank.
just thought i would mention it so you could double check yours before you went and tore some stuff apart.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:57 PM

I haven't changed the fuel filter since i've owned it.
When I crack the lines, do I crack them, then try to crank the motor?

I'm going to check on that plug haha
Old 10-31-2010, 04:59 PM

crack then crank, works best when you crack and look and someone else cranks.

If you want to test the pump itself first take the lines off as close to the pump as you can run them in a bucket and try cranking and see what you get, if that checks out just keep moving up the line.

However, I would suggest starting at the other end on the fuel rail as I believe it may just need bleeding of air that entered in the lines. Crack them there as someone else tries cranking it and see if you get any fuel seepage.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:14 PM

I'm willing to bet a connectors not connected right. Most likely something simple like that.

Also try bleeding the lines like others have said. The fuel filter is located directly underneath the upper intake. You can stick your arm in there, and get an 11/16th wrench on the banjo bolts to loosen them and try to bleed it and make sure you're getting fuel to it. Btw, might want to take the coil off first.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:56 PM

The wiring for the fuel pump can corrode and break off right where it attaches to the top of the tank. If it ran before you messed with it and now it doesn't then that is where I'd look first.

Non starting is either spark or fuel. Spray some starting fluid in the intake. If it starts then you have a fuel delivery problem. If it doesn't then you have a spark problem.

Quick Reply: Tried to fix fuel gauge and now the Runner won't start...Please help