86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission went bye bye, Part II...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission went bye bye, Part II...

This was the original thread I started about my issue...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...k-help-163319/

Some excerpts from the thread...
Driving around all day and it was fine. Parked it for about 2 hours to see a movie, went back to leave, started truck put it in drive and nothing happened. Put it in reverse and still nothing. I don't see any fluid leaks anywhere. No funny smells. I didn't hear any funny noises or gears grinding at all.

The only gear it does go into is Low gear. It moves in low gear like normal but I didn't drive any distance because I just didn't know what would've happened.
When I pulled up my driveway I could barely make it up the slight incline I have.

So the Tranny fluid seems okay.
No clunking or grinding of any kind.
Nothing is leaking underneath
No wierd smells of any sort

What are these symptoms of? Transmission or Transfer case?
So I took it to my mechanic yesterday and he can't seem to find the issue. He's checked all the linkages and they seem to be working as intended. He thinks it's internal. He's not an expert on transmissions at all and his shop doesn't really do any type of trans work.

I told him it may be electrical and I shared some of the comments from other forum members in my original posting.

I've looked at the factory service manual and it mentions something about the solenoid. I keep hearing about the shift solenoid but where is it located? I hear they go bad and corrode and the signal get's broken??

Any other thoughts what it may be? I guess my next move would be to bring it to a transmission shop (which I'm hoping mot to have to do).

Thanks in advance guys. Just want to get my baby back on the road.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lotus1

I've looked at the factory service manual and it mentions something about the solenoid. I keep hearing about the shift solenoid but where is it located? I hear they go bad and corrode and the signal get's broken??
Sounds like maybe its starting off in 3rd or 4th gear. A soleniod problem can cause that. They are located above the tranny ATF filter, on the valve body. Must drop the pan and ATF filter to get there. Do you have a flashing OD light? That will mean a code has been thrown, giving a good place to start. If it is a shift solenoid I'd probably just replace them all while you are in there. Things as small as lint from a rag can cause problems with shift soleniods.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-26-2009 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

Here's a good link on getting to the ATF filter, that's most of the work: http://home.centurytel.net/stevenjac...sh/tranny.html I know its a different year but the basic steps are the same.

That's way too nice a truck to keep out of service!

Another thing to try is start off in 4WD low and see if you can get going, then shift up into high range. Report back results.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-26-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

After seeing more pics of your truck I've decided its a total loss....so sorry...but I will be willing to take it off your hands for you.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-26-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:24 AM

LOL, thanks for the suggestions mt_goat.

I'll look at that link you sent me.

Another thing to try is start off in 4WD low and see if you can get going, then shift up into high range. Report back results.
I have tried this. Still nothing.
It's interesting though, when I do put it in drive (2H) or Reverse (2H) I can feel it wants to move. I don't hear any grinding at all though. Man I'm stumped.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:51 AM

Do you have a flashing OD light?
No flashing OD light either.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lotus1
No flashing OD light either.
I think you can still have a clogged soleniod without getting a code thrown.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:56 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
wonder if the torque converter would do that? That's a replaceable item
Old 02-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ZUK
wonder if the torque converter would do that? That's a replaceable item
Yeah I thought of that too ZUK, but since he said there wasn't any noises I kind of dismissed that possibility. I think they usually make a lot of noise going out don't they?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:06 AM

Yeah I thought of that too ZUK, but since you said there wasn't any noises I kind of dismissed that possibility. I think they usually make a lot of noise going out don't they?
Yes, absolutely no noise whatsoever. No grinding of any kind. No funny smells, no leaks of any kind. We had it up on the hoist and didn't see anything alarming at all. it goes into 4lo just fine in both drive and reverse. I figure it's transferring to those gears with no issue, it's just not moving at all in regular drive or reverse.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
and the plot thickens...
maybe the transfer case? isn't the transfer case on the auto basically a two ratio set of planetaries behind the trans?

disclaimer- I'm not a transmission oriented guy so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Last edited by abecedarian; 02-26-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:35 PM
ZUK

Originally Posted by abecedarian
and the plot thickens...
maybe the transfer case? isn't the transfer case on the auto basically a two ratio set of planetaries behind the trans?

disclaimer- I'm not a transmission oriented guy so take what I say with a grain of salt.
could be.....actually, I think you are right

Last edited by ZUK; 02-26-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ZUK
could be.....actually, I think you are right
don't tell anyone...

I was thinking that if everything works fine in 4Lo but not in 4 or 2 Hi, then it would seem the transfer case is slipping.
Being that I'm not that familiar with the transfer case on the automatic (don't have one myself) but from what I've read, the transfer case behind the automatic is basically a 2-speed automatic trans behind the regular trans with some gears to drive the front shaft.
It could be the problem if things slip in high gear and don't slip in low gear.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:09 PM
ZUK

Ok....won't tell anyone. This is between you and me, abecedarian. I think it's either an internal issue with a sheared hi-range related gear....or it could be as simple as the external linkage.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:10 PM

Thank you. I don't want this to be out there on some public forum for others to see. I'd hate to say something out loud that later turned into a scenario where I was proven wrong yet again.

Last edited by abecedarian; 02-26-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:18 PM
ZUK

ya....know what you mean
I saw pics of Lotus1's truck on the other link and that is one clean truck....the engine compartment is beautiful. I think I would start by checking the level and the look of the transfercase fluid....then manually shift the linkage from underneath the truck and see if there's an issue there. That only leaves a sheared gear or shaft inside the transfercase at that point....probably best to just get another from the junk yard at that point.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:22 PM

it's people like you that give us backyard mechanics a bad name.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 PM

I think I would start by checking the level and the look of the transfercase fluid....then manually shift the linkage from underneath the truck and see if there's an issue there. That only leaves a sheared gear or shaft inside the transfercase at that point....probably best to just get another from the junk yard at that point.
My mechanic had it up on the hoist and did check all the linkages and they seemed fine and everything looked like it was working.

I'm thinking Transfer case myself now. If that's the case is it cheaper to rebuild, find a junk yard one, or some other source?

I appreciate everyones input on this. Now that the weather is getting a little bit warmer I'm getting the itch to drive it now. thanks again.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:41 PM

Update...

Okay....you ready for this...??

My mechanic suggested I take the truck to a transmission shop because they just really don't have the experience with these type things.

So I decided to take my truck to a transmission shop locally. So instead of calling a flatbed I had my brother in law pull me to the shop with my tow straps with his Tacoma.

It was about 5 miles away and the tow went without incident. I got there and the owner came out to greet me. After talking for about a minute I proceeded to show him what the issue was. So I showed him how it moved in 4lo both reverse and forward, then I shifted it to 2hi and it moved?? Yes it started to move! I shifted to reverse then in forward then in reverse again.

What I'm saying here is that the truck "magically" work fine.

So I ended up driving it back home and as a matter of fact I drove it ALL DAY with no issues! It's as if it never happened.

I really don't know what to think about this? The transmission guy (owner) was dumb founded himself. He's been working on transmissions for about 30yrs now and hasn't seen anything like this. He wanted me to keep him aprised of any issues I may find later on down the road if there are any.

So bottom line the truck runs beautifully. I literally drove it 53 miles today. I know because I filled it with gas and reset the odo. I'm still leary because if it happened before I feel it could possibly happen again?? I'm thinking maybe something happened to it when my brother-in-law pulled me? Who knows.

Well, there it is. If for some reason something else happens to it I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Well, here's my theory. The shift solenoid was clogged or stuck with some little piece of crap and the blockaged worked its way passed the solenoid and its fine now. I guess just thank your lucky stars now and go on.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-28-2009 at 05:52 PM.