Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

transmission question: 1992 Toyota 4x4 v6 automatic ext cab

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission question: 1992 Toyota 4x4 v6 automatic ext cab

When I got my truck the oil cooler line for the transfercase was leaking so I replaced it lost a little bit of fluid but not a whole lot.

I then checked the fluid when warm and the engine running and it showed half. Maybe the truck wasn't 100% heated up but I did have it running. The truck seemed to take off no problem and shift fine the torque converter locked and everything but I never had any sort of load always an empty box. I drove it like this without any issues for a few months not driving everyday and only 2 long trips. I never beat the truck either always taking it easy and trying to keep the torque converter locked to save on fuel and to not wear it out.

Today I probably got 300 pounds of rocks in my truck and I was on an incline stopped. I went to drive forward and the truck was acting like it was in neutral so I gave it more gas and it started to slowly take off once I got going it was fine but the torque converter was having problems locking just as this problem occurred. All gears were working. I got home and the truck was really nice and warm by then I checked the fluid right away and it was on the low end of the dip stick just above the word cold so there was fluid reading on the stick. I dumbed about a quart in there and went around the block and the torque converter was still acting up and I got to a stop sign and the transmission started slipping again. This happened about 3 times taking off I repeat only 3 times.

I then was like wtf and checked the fluid again with the vehical running and it checked out fine just under the hot arrow.

Im like my transmission probably cooked. So I thought to my self theres nothing more I can do but drive it and see if I clears out. When I got in the truck to drive It pulled away effortlessly. I got out to the road and stopped again and took off no problem. I cam to another stop stomped it and the tires broke loose under max power. The torque converter was locking again like it should so Im like thank god.

I went to get more rocks and Iwas doing 55 with the torque converter locked and it unlocked for no reason once and I pressed the button to put it in OD and then pushed the button back into OD off and the torque converter locked and never gave me trouble again for the rest of the trip.

Question how much damage did I do letting it slip from 3 stops( just happened today) and also the (nice and easy driving I was doing with the fluid a bit less then a quart low for say 1000km) before encountering the slippage and torque converter lock fail?

I put in dextron III it came with my truck and I had some of the same stuff sitting in my basement so I used that also.

My trucks a 1992 Toyota 4x4 v6 automatic ext cab is that the right fluid?

Last edited by dropzone; 11-19-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: language
Old 11-18-2012, 11:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

When was the last time you did a Transmission service??

When these things slips it heats the fluid as the fluid thermal cycles it breaks down.

Last I looked Toyota Called for Dexron II

Not a big Auto Trans person so I don`t know if that will make a difference.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque converter locked.

What do you mean the torqhe converter locked up no problem.How do you know when the torque converter is locked?And how do you have control ovwr the torque converter when you say you tried to keep the torque convertwr locked?I didnt know you had any control of what the torque converter does.I also have an automatic transmission and never put any thought at all to it.Thought it xid everything on its own.