86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission problems or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission problems or not?

93 Toyota truck 4x4, 22RE with automatic transmission with 40,000 org. Miles on it... while on my way home this evening I started Down a hill and suddenly the truck was just reveving up and woundnt take the gas. So in order words the transmission was like it was in netrual. So strarted shifting down and 2nd did do anything but the. Went to 1st and it caught. So I pulled over and placed it in park and put back in gear and started to shift again and drive fine. Normal operation 0-10 1st then 10-20 2nd then 30-40 3rd then 40-50 4th. On hills will drop back or hunt 3 to 4th but has always done that.

I have had zero problems with the transmission sense I owned it. Even changed all the fluids a couple of times sense it set up for a while. Any ideas on what could have caused this or if it might just be a fluck which I doubt. Any common problems with this transmissions? Ideas or help would be much appropriated. Thanks
Old 02-11-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by duckman06
I started Down a hill and suddenly the truck was just reveving up and woundnt take the gas.
Check the fluid level. The pump pickup is at the back of the pan. If the fluid was low, it would first show up going down hill.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:26 PM

Checked the fluid level and it was good along with the fluid color itself
Old 02-11-2017, 09:54 PM

Just left a buddy of mind house and on the way home it was hunting 3rd to 4th. Then it started shifting hard from 1st to 2nd gear. Once i stopped and started back again from 1st it drove just fine. So is this a complete transmission rebuild more then likely or something else a little more simple? This is why i dislike automatic transmissions,
Old 02-12-2017, 05:05 AM

So is this a complete transmission rebuild more then likely or something else a little more simple? This is why i dislike automatic transmissions,
Sounds like an issue with the valve body. Do the mechanical shifting test as described in the link below. You need to unhook the electrical connector on the transmission to remove electronic control. See if you have any issues when manually shifting through the gears.

Manual shifting test...
http://htftp.offroadsz.com/marinhaker/programi/toyota/Automatic%20Transmission/A340F/47manualsh.pdf

Edit: After re-reading your posts, it could also be the No1 One-way clutch. See more information below.

Last edited by rustypigeon; 02-12-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by duckman06;52352823I
started Down a hill and suddenly the truck was just reveving up and woundnt take the gas. So in order words the transmission was like it was in netrual.
Then it started shifting hard from 1st to 2nd gear.
Depending on when your truck started reving in your first post, your "No1 One-Way Clutch" could be going out. If it started acting like it was in neutral during the 1-2 shift, that would support this theory.

Perform the manual shifting test that I linked above, and post the results. Then put the transmission electrical connector back in and drive the vehicle, paying close attention to the 1-2 shift, and post the results.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:32 PM

I drove it up to my office to get tools and have better ground to get under it. It didn't act up at all. So I said shoot I am going to drive it till it does then do the test. 150 miles later hasn't acted up at all.

Is this possible sign speed sensor or solenoids in the transmission are going bad? Do I still need to do the test sense it's not acting up at the moment?
Old 02-12-2017, 02:02 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
I drove it up to my office to get tools and have better ground to get under it. It didn't act up at all. So I said shoot I am going to drive it till it does then do the test. 150 miles later hasn't acted up at all.

Is this possible sign speed sensor or solenoids in the transmission are going bad? Do I still need to do the test sense it's not acting up at the moment?
The fact that it is intermittent is going to make it difficult to diagnose...

Q&A
Yes but wouldn't cause this issue persay, run the TCU diagnostic check for codes it will identify some/most electrical issues.
You can't test it while it's not misbehaving and get an accurate result. But it wouldn't hurt to verify the mechanical bits are functional.

Theory,
its hydraulic. Could be the pump, the torque converter, the valve body or clutch plates.

Test the torque converter, stall test.. warm up the transmission with a short drive. Put blocks/wedges under both the front and back of both tires. With the engine running pump up the brakes, need them tight as can be. Place the shifter into reverse, stomp the accelerator to the floor and hold it there(note stomp not ease into!) Read your tach maximum and release the gas pedal. Wait 60seconds for the fluid and such to cool back down and repeat for the Drive position..

Looking for around 2200 ±150.

This also does a bit of a rednek test of the pump, fluid and first gear clutches.

​​​​​
Old 02-12-2017, 07:50 PM

I think I am going to leave well enough alone and ride it out! Not normaly like me but I don't want to go messing with something that is currently working. Don't know why it did what it did but I hope it doesn't do it again but know it will
Old 02-14-2017, 07:12 PM

Check the wiring harness that runs over the top of the trans, Sometimes they wear or melt through.
Check your shifter to trans linkage, If they have worn bushings or loosen they could be half shift posissioning.
Unplug and check the contact of the plugs for corrosion or dirt.

Just do a good visual inspection firsts, Could be something simple.