86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tranny rattle on decel

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tranny rattle on decel

Hey guys, 87 4Runner w/ 22RE and W56 transmission.

I am getting a rattle coming from the transmission when decelerating from anywhere above 45MPH. At first I thought it was just wind noise but upon further investigation it is definitely coming from the trans.

I speed up to about 55MPH or so, let off the gas and I can hear the rattle, if I get back on the gas it goes away. If I put the trans in neutral and coast I can hear the rattle, if I push the clutch in it is still there as well. I can get the rattle to stop if I gently push the stick towards any gear, I don't actually have to put it in the gear, just nudge the stick to where its attempting to go into a gear and the rattle stops, this is how I confirmed its coming from the transmission.

Seems to be more prominent when climbing hills, any ideas? Trans still shifts fine and does not seem to be slipping any gears.

At idle and low speeds I cannot replicate the sound.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:21 AM

Any ideas why pushing the stick almost into a gear would cause the noise to stop? Must be stopping something from spinning/rattling in the trans?
Old 11-25-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the bushings.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:51 AM
TMP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same prob on my 94 around 33 mph.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:49 AM

I have the same issue

Originally Posted by defrag4
Hey guys, 87 4Runner w/ 22RE and W56 transmission.

I am getting a rattle coming from the transmission when decelerating from anywhere above 45MPH. At first I thought it was just wind noise but upon further investigation it is definitely coming from the trans.

I speed up to about 55MPH or so, let off the gas and I can hear the rattle, if I get back on the gas it goes away. If I put the trans in neutral and coast I can hear the rattle, if I push the clutch in it is still there as well. I can get the rattle to stop if I gently push the stick towards any gear, I don't actually have to put it in the gear, just nudge the stick to where its attempting to go into a gear and the rattle stops, this is how I confirmed its coming from the transmission.

Seems to be more prominent when climbing hills, any ideas? Trans still shifts fine and does not seem to be slipping any gears.

At idle and low speeds I cannot replicate the sound.
sorry to revive an old thread, but did you ever figure out what the issue was? I have the exact problem going on with my '89 runner
Old 07-05-2017, 05:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I blame mine on the worn out final output bearing on the TRANSFER case.

If I park the truck and crawl under and the trick is not in gear (31" tires - room to skootch under the truck!)
I can "push" the output flange up and down (play)

I have a spare output bearing part that I planned to swap on (the bearing is press fit into the cover - gotta love these modular transfer cases), but have yet to get to it as the truck isn't a "daily driver" and is street parked (i.e. noo garage where I can leave it apart for days on end)
Old 07-05-2017, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by ewong
I blame mine on the worn out final output bearing on the TRANSFER case.

If I park the truck and crawl under and the trick is not in gear (31" tires - room to skootch under the truck!)
I can "push" the output flange up and down (play)

I have a spare output bearing part that I planned to swap on (the bearing is press fit into the cover - gotta love these modular transfer cases), but have yet to get to it as the truck isn't a "daily driver" and is street parked (i.e. noo garage where I can leave it apart for days on end)
Was yours having the exact same issue as the op? If so how much play is allowed for the output flange? The po of my truck put in 4.7 gears and may have reused bearings or not properly installed the gears, just curious, I've heard so many different things ranging from unbalanced driveshaft to bearings out in either tranny or t-case.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
If the noise is coming from the t-case output bearing, it's not very likely that any pressure on the main tranny shifter is gonna change, or stop that noise.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:03 AM

never did get it fixed, drove her for 50K+ miles with the rattle though before I sold it :-o
Old 07-05-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1985toyo
Was yours having the exact same issue as the op?
Same symptoms.
I'm pretty sure it quiets up if I push the stick (but I cant confirm per se)
I've got a ton of miles on the trans and transfer case - I'm sure all the bearings are a bit on the sloppy side

Originally Posted by 1985toyo
If so how much play is allowed for the output flange?
No clue - but my other spare xfer does NOT have anywhere near that amount of "play"
Old 07-05-2017, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by millball
If the noise is coming from the t-case output bearing, it's not very likely that any pressure on the main tranny shifter is gonna change, or stop that noise.
that's what I was thinking, the sound almost sounds like plastic rattling around, I have no clue what it is, I'm gonna start with balancing the drive shaft and go from there.