Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Tranny oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny oil change

ok im new here, so im not to sure if this is the place for this thread. I was searching on changing the tranny oil, and i couldnt find the one I needed. I got an 1991 toyota p/u v6 4x4 x-cab with 156xxx miles. My dad told me the tranny oil got changed only ones through its entire life time, which was yrs ago. When i drive 75% of the time when i shift into reverse, it always grind. Strong grindings. Also when i shift from gear to gear its not really good. Most of the time when im shifting to third gear, it kind of grinds, real little bit. Like when you shift, you can feel it grinding trying to shift it in. Also its very hard to shift gear. Not really, but it isnt smooth. We just got the clutch recently changed, so that should be all good. Im wondering how do i refill the tranny oil. I know how its drained, but dont know how to fill it back up. Also the truck is a off roading, farming truck. so its always pulling heavy loads of crap. I was thinking of changing the tranny oil, and putting some lucas transmission fix. Also i want to change all the transfer case, and axles. Also what kind of gear oil is good for the tranny, and what kind of oil is good for the transfer case, and axles. thanks in advance
Old 12-03-2006, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My brother civic was diong the same grinding noise also and it happen to be a low fluid in the clutch cylinder or what ever is that is call. It is locate under the hood and should be next to the master cylinder. If it is low on fluid you can use D.O.T 3 brake fluid.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Guardian_Saint
My brother civic was diong the same grinding noise also and it happen to be a low fluid in the clutch cylinder or what ever is that is call. It is locate under the hood and should be next to the master cylinder. If it is low on fluid you can use D.O.T 3 brake fluid.

yea me and my dad jsut did that today. A friend told me the clutch might of bleed properly, so we did it today. Feels a bit better, but we'll see how it goes. But thanks
Old 12-03-2006, 07:09 PM

change the fluid is simple i have the same truck. drain plug is on drivers side filler plug is on the passengers. i believe. one is lower than the other lower is obviosly the drain higher is the fill. Once it is drained u will need a fluid pump in order to get the fluid into the tranny u can buy them at any autoparts store cheap. The tranny fill plug dosent give u enough room to tip the bottle up to empty the gear oil into tranny. as far as type of oil i personaly use mobil one recommended viscosity is 8o-90 gear oil same for front and rear differintial
Old 12-03-2006, 07:22 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm gonna be doing mine soon - can anyone recommend a good pump?
Old 12-03-2006, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by weakyota91
change the fluid is simple i have the same truck. drain plug is on drivers side filler plug is on the passengers. i believe. one is lower than the other lower is obviosly the drain higher is the fill. Once it is drained u will need a fluid pump in order to get the fluid into the tranny u can buy them at any autoparts store cheap. The tranny fill plug dosent give u enough room to tip the bottle up to empty the gear oil into tranny. as far as type of oil i personaly use mobil one recommended viscosity is 8o-90 gear oil same for front and rear differintial

The filler plug is located actually in the truck? Or is it under, but towards the passenger? When i look under the truck, i know where the drain is, but im not to sure where the filler plug is. Is the place to refill the gear oil also the place to check the level of the oil fluid? 80-90 gear oil also works for transfer case? Also what type of engine oil you guys use? i use mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic oil with lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:36 AM

Unhappy

dmon, it sounds like the syncros could be bad ???
Old 12-04-2006, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Just Learning
dmon, it sounds like the syncros could be bad ???

could be, im not to sure. lol. to much fricken offroading in its life... Well yea the gears feels like it drags. For some reason like two months ago, shifting to second was ÅÅÅÅ. i shift at 15 mph, into 2nd gear. then when i release clutch wow, feels like the tanny 2nd gear drags. like it struggles in second gear, then after few seconds when the revvs are up it sounds, and works better. But now we dont have that problem. If in that case the syncros are bad, maybe i go for rebuild, or find a used tranny. But ill try changing the oil, and lets see what happends...My dad said hes going to drive that truck till it dies lol...
Old 12-04-2006, 08:21 AM

Use a GL-4 gear oil for the trans if you can find it. Something about GL-5 isn't good for the yellow metal in the trans. Although the manual says GL-4 or GL-5.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:47 AM
tc
Contributing Member

As for oil:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/index.sh...ntheticGearOil

How to check, etc (page MA-17)
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...nce/2maint.pdf
Old 12-04-2006, 10:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
there could be a couple of issues, do a search as there is another thread on here in the last couple of days about the same issues. Basically its either the clutch hyrdraulic system has some air, the gear oil is low, or really old, or the shifter bushing is shot.

If it hasnt been changed in awhile i'd change it. redline mt-90 will soposedly help the shifting, and mt-90 is going in my trans soon (around christmas perhaps). gl-4 gear oil is recomended because the high pressure additives in gl-5 tend to eat up the syncros.

the fill plug and drain plug shouldnt be hard to find. they should both be 22mm hex bolt plugs. the fill is the higher one. open the fill before you open the drain so that you can be sure that you'll be able to refill it after you drain it.

when you pull the drain plug be ready for dirty gear oil to shot out quickly.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:33 AM

Anyone pull the stick shifter out and fill through the top? Seems easier than a pump if you're carefull enough not to spill...and you can check out your shifter seat/bushing as well.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
never heard anyone do it that way. I have seen people on manual ford explorers pull up a floor panel, and pour the gear oil through one of the rubber gromit holes before replacing the gromit.

The hand pump can be kind of a pain. First time i ever did it i used a siphon pump, but i had a hard time getting the oil bottle above the level of the trans so it took forever. I also own one of the vacuum suction giant syringe thingies (forget what theyre called), but you cant get that to do the trans without adding an extension hose to it.

when i do change my trans fluid in a few thousand miles im going to use the syphon pump, and have someone hold the bottle for me way higher than the level of the trans to get it to flow faster.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:03 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
I also own one of the vacuum suction giant syringe thingies (forget what theyre called), but you cant get that to do the trans without adding an extension hose to it.
They're called suction guns. I have one, it's a major PITA, super slow and messy, and it seems to "eat" a lot of the oil...that's why I'm looking for a good pump system. I seem to recall seeing one on Horsepower TV, but can't find it anywhere.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I use one of those in-bottle pumps (Sta-Lube brand) and it works fine. Be sure the gear oil is warm before pumping, makes a big difference. I never have problem with the pump eating oil, will usually drain all but an ounce or so of oil from the bottle. I pour that oil into the next bottle as I go through them.

Other option is to fill by volume through the shifter base, just be careful to not spill any gear oil inside.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:15 PM

both of my turcks i have filled through the shifter hole. It takes a little time but is real easy to do....
Old 12-04-2006, 01:24 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
I use one of those in-bottle pumps (Sta-Lube brand) and it works fine. Be sure the gear oil is warm before pumping, makes a big difference. I never have problem with the pump eating oil, will usually drain all but an ounce or so of oil from the bottle. I pour that oil into the next bottle as I go through them.

Other option is to fill by volume through the shifter base, just be careful to not spill any gear oil inside.
I tried one of those last time, but it didn't fit the Redline bottles (wouldn't screw on the top - opening of bottle is smaller than the fitting on the pump). Is there one that fits them?

How warm?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:46 PM

For doing the trans I usually grab an empty oil jug, a length of clear tubing and a valve stem. Drill two holes in the top of the bottle, one for the tubing and one for the valve stem. Clean the jug making sure there aren't any plastic shaving in there, etc. Install the valve stem (i usually put it in the lid) and the tubing; the tubing needs to be sitting on the bottom of the jug. Fill with oil and find your bicycle pump. Insert the other end of your tubing into the trans, hook up the bicycle pump and start pumping, slowly.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by tc
I tried one of those last time, but it didn't fit the Redline bottles (wouldn't screw on the top - opening of bottle is smaller than the fitting on the pump). Is there one that fits them?

How warm?
I have a $5 I bought at Kragen once that fits on the 1 gallon bottles (or whatever that size is), and it worked perfectly well on the redline bottles as well without screwing it onto the top. It's kind of slow and a little bit of a pain, but it got the work done just perfectly.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:44 PM

heck, I use the dish shampoo bottle and fill with fluid than I just squeeze it in, it does the job.