Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Trail gear rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trail gear rear bumper

Hey folks,
I was hoping someone could tell me definitively if i can keep my spare tyre underneath my 89 4Runner (90 model year - coil rear) if i install a trail gear rear rock defense bunper?
Will i have access to the little winch with the jack handle to lower the spare? Will a spare still fit - or does the bumper intrude on it's space?
Thanks!
Old 03-25-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
for starters, your truck is a 90...not an 89. You will have access with the TG bumper. tire can stay where its at. the bumper bolts to the outside of the frame.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:47 PM

Righto, i contacted trail gear and they said the spare tire would have to be removed. But i checked out the fitting instructions and it sure looks to me like the spare would fit! So someone doesn't know what they are talking about.
What about the angle on the jack handle into the winch though? Does it hit the tube bumper?
Also, my compliance plate on the vehicle firewall says 89.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:15 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by space-junk
for starters, your truck is a 90...not an 89. You will have access with the TG bumper. tire can stay where its at. the bumper bolts to the outside of the frame.
OP is in Australia so different stuff.

you should be fine. I could still access the tire winch on my 94, tight fit but it would work with the T-G bumper
Old 03-26-2017, 04:50 PM

Thanks!

I plan on getting one of those tube bumpers, to give me a rear recovery point (hitch with bow shackle in receiver), and also allow me to use a hi lift jack to lift the rear wheels up.

On your bumper, did you have to put the jack handle through the reese hitch tube and into the tyre winch? The hitch receiver looks like it is in the same spot as the original hole in the rear bumper?

Also, my tyres are 32 inch. Does the TG bar protrude any further in than the factory bumper? As my tyre fits fine with the factory bumper.

Last edited by The_One; 03-26-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:38 PM

I planned on getting a TG bar from the US shipped to Australia. But it doesn't look like anyone ships them here. No one knows of any Australian suppliers of good quality aftermarket parts for old Toyotas?

From what i have seen there is a lack of any parts for old toyotas down here. There isn't even that many 4Runners/Surfs still on the road. And most of the old Hiluxes are on farms!

The majority of people just buy a new vehicle every few years and landcruiser wagons/prados, new 'plastic bubble' hiluxes and nissan patrols dominate what you see on the roads.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check and see how much it would be to ship it to 34771 zip code, and how much it would cost for me to send it to you from 34771. It may be best to just build one of its going to cost you a months pay tho
Old 03-28-2017, 07:16 PM

Yeah i am a bit of an amateur welder. I weld up everything around the farm and all the small stuff on my vehicles like i built the roofrack, brackets for accessories and battery trays etc. But i don't trust my welding with recovery points!
My current bullbar is a bit too close to my 32inch mud terrains, so i was thinking of a tube style front bumper too.

My other vehicle is an old Land Rover Disco i did up. It has the 3.9 Rover V8 and i put on ARB bullbar, ARB rocksliders, full length roofrack, safari snorkel, dual batteries, few inches of lift, all the little things (UHF, spotties etc). It is a very nice vehicle but it is heavy compared to my old toyotas! I am trying to keep my 4Runner lightweight with small tube bars instead of big ARB bullbars as i only have a 22R and need to keep my fuel economy good.