Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TPS worries...voltage and resistor, WOT V ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPS worries...voltage and resistor, WOT V ?

Hi, i am looking for specific info for the TPS on my 22REC 1986.
I have many manuals about this truck and all of them gives resistor tables to "check" the tps...

So the other day i was doing maintenance on my truck and thought it would be correct to check the TPS since its been there since 1986 untouched.

I am used to measure voltage for tps with a scope to see if its regular.

At WOT i measure 3.9V
wtf ?
i had a new in box TPS ($$$) that i replaced it with, set it up to factory spec with feeler guages, same thing, or very close.
Throtle plate opens fully.

I then measured computer input impedance to check the cause of this low unexpected WOT voltage...nothing there wrong.

So, would it be possible at all that the 22REC "antique" ecu/efi system detect WOT at 3.9v ??

doesnt sound right to me...even in the shilton manual, they refers to the tps as a 0-5v readout unit to the ecu...

the truck runs "ok" and i never had issues realy with that, i am just wondering...
thanks for any details on that.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
How do you know what the input impedance "should" be? (and for that matter, how did you measure it -- you can't measure input impedance with just an ohmmeter).

According to the manual http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995...e/troubles.pdf the TPS WOT voltage should be 3.2-4.9 volts. Why do you think 3.9 is out of spec? Did you replace the TPS based on the WOT voltage?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
How do you know what the input impedance "should" be? (and for that matter, how did you measure it -- you can't measure input impedance with just an ohmmeter).

According to the manual http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995...e/troubles.pdf the TPS WOT voltage should be 3.2-4.9 volts. Why do you think 3.9 is out of spec? Did you replace the TPS based on the WOT voltage?
i reversed the ecu input. it goes straight to an a/d converter, simple r-c filtering.
its 1.2mohm by the way.

high enough to not bother the tps.

i dont know what it should be, other than since its an input, it MUST be high impedance.

yes you can measure impedance of such circuit with "just" an ohm meter, because of the simple nature of the circuit.

not knowing the WOT value of the VOLTAGE, i assumed it would be as close as possible to 5v. i never ever said it was out of spec. you get me wrong right from the start.

Last edited by patallen; 10-09-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by patallen
...At WOT i measure 3.9V
wtf ?
doesnt sound right to me...
... i never ever said it was out of spec. you get me wrong right from the start.
Ah, maybe this is a language thing? When you said that 3.9V didn't sound right to you, I understood that you thought ... it didn't sound right.

...i dont know what it should be, other than since its an input, it MUST be high impedance. ...
Just so you know, that kind of assumption is usually wrong. For instance, the dashboard voltmeter has an input impedance of 347ohms. The oil pressure gauge has an input impedance of 25ohms.

Good luck!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:43 AM

why do you act like a douche bag with me ??

it was not simple enought to just say what was the correct wot voltage ? that would have straightened the facts right from the start, and its was all i needed.
Conclusion, my TPS is just ok.

you talk to me like if i where a complete idiot. i am electronic engineer for the automotive market, RF designer and software programmer.
25 years of experiences
3 us pattens
2 cnd pattens
all related to electronic devices meant for cars.
If you have a hand held remote for ANY of you cars, i am probably responsible of its design, partialy or totaly.

will you start quoting every single sentence i write, just because you think you are smarter ??

by the way, thoses analogue dash guages REQUIRES a resistor pull-up value to show proper range, because they rely on a single variable resistor...you quote that as if it where an absolute verity and the only thing to rely on...you make yourself asumptions based on a complete lack of intelligence.

ANY voltages read out at the ECU are high impedance internally, except some cases where there is a pull-up resistance needed, such as the temp sensor since its only one resistor alone, not a potentiometer with its own voltage source/reference.

MORRON !!!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Pretty high and mighty talk for a guy that can't even spell patent or moron...
Old 10-09-2012, 02:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
why do you act like a douche bag with me ??

it was not simple enought to just say what was the correct wot voltage ? that would have straightened the facts right from the start, and its was all i needed.
Conclusion, my TPS is just ok.

you talk to me like if i where a complete idiot. i am electronic engineer for the automotive market, RF designer and software programmer.
25 years of experiences
3 us pattens
2 cnd pattens
all related to electronic devices meant for cars.
If you have a hand held remote for ANY of you cars, i am probably responsible of its design, partialy or totaly.

will you start quoting every single sentence i write, just because you think you are smarter ??

by the way, thoses analogue dash guages REQUIRES a resistor pull-up value to show proper range, because they rely on a single variable resistor...you quote that as if it where an absolute verity and the only thing to rely on...you make yourself asumptions based on a complete lack of intelligence.

ANY voltages read out at the ECU are high impedance internally, except some cases where there is a pull-up resistance needed, such as the temp sensor since its only one resistor alone, not a potentiometer with its own voltage source/reference.

MORRON !!!
I think you wasted a bunch of money on all those Electrical Engineering classes if the TPS stumps you.

Just a casual observation...
Old 10-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
OP-
Did you check the values in the FSM?