86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

tps/auto tranny issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tps/auto tranny issues?

So i bought an 88 4runner, with the 22re and auto tranny about a week ago (pics will come soon promise!) its been great so far, ive put only about 300 miles on it. today i had to get on it to pull out into traffic, and after it shifted (at about 4k which was higher than i usually take it) it boged way down and wouldnt go about 1.5k. I limped it home, hopped on here and looked around and saw people talking about the tps sensor... so i looked at it ant iwas broken! just dangling there, bought a new one slapped it in and went for a drive....now all of the sudden it will NOT shift out of first, and at one point wouldnt even do anything and i had to sit there and mess with it to get it to move. my question is.... if i didnt not calibrate it correctly.. would this cause the issue? btw i DID search! thanks in advance... really could use the help!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you put the TPS on, you made sure to position it properly before installing so that when you slid it on and rotated it into position, the tabs on the throttle shaft properly engaged the TPS?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:32 AM

i thiiink i did, i tried to reposition it, and it shifted, into what ithink was second, (it didnt want to shift untill about 4k) but it wouldnt ever down shift.... im at a loss at what to do now
Old 09-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by BlacktoothGrin
i thiiink i did, i tried to reposition it, and it shifted, into what ithink was second, (it didnt want to shift untill about 4k) but it wouldnt ever down shift.... im at a loss at what to do now
don't just eyeball it! you need a multimeter ($10 at harbor frieght) for it to be correct or you will be experiencing no power/horrible shifting/etc....

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...#TPSAdjustment
Old 09-08-2012, 09:15 PM

i have a nice meter, just needed to get it from work and didnt have it at first, turns out the tps i bought was bad, so i got another one, i will try to install it tomorrow... as of right now its acting like the torque converter wont lock up... like its dragging or something. i have that tps adjustment thing printed out so once i get it on there and everything i should be able to adjust it, i have my multimeter and alligator clips ready to go! mainly i just wanted to know if i should worry about a blown trans... also which connectors do i go to on the diag plug to check codes? i need a bulb for my overdrive light too right? mines not workin... but the check engine light does
Old 09-08-2012, 09:44 PM

How many cables attach to your throttle?
You should have one from the pedal...
... maybe one if you have cruise control ...
... do you have another ...?
Old 09-09-2012, 07:28 AM

i only see two cables attached, both seem to be on there good, but i could not see where the other one went down to the tranny, is it on the top or something?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:09 AM

IIRC, the throttle (from the pedal) and cruise wrap over the top of the throttle cam and the trans "detent" cable wraps underneath.

The detent cable will affect when your transmission shifts since it is basically a "throttle position" sensor for the trans.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:11 AM

i saw that cable and tried to trace it out but i cant see it from under the truck, anyone know where /how it actually hooks to the trans?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 PM

so with the new tps in and as close as i could get it to spec it still barely wants to move, like the torque converter is not locking... i had code 41 and 51, both are now gone but still doesnt want to move without lots of revs, can anyone help with this? i need the truck going before it starts to rain! i dont want to talk my boys to school in the rain
Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 PM

anyone?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 PM

sounds like clutches are slipping...all i can really say is your are looking for a pricey rebuild or cheap manual swap in the future... that does not sound good at all. coming from a fellow 22re auto trans owner, those trans are really horrible for how much hp the 22re makes and is a slug. i just finished my 5sp swap today and felt like i gained 50hp
Old 09-12-2012, 10:15 PM

so im not sure if this means anything, but if i put her into 4lo, it works fine, then put it back in 2h it seems to work fine for 5-10 min (onl when forward and back in the driveway...bout 40 ft as i couldnt get out today) then back to not moving unless i pop it in 4lo for a sec again.... make any sense? Also tried pulling codes, but i cannot get the od/ light to flash? it will come on solid if i manually hit the button, but with the jumper in i can only get the check engine light to flash, not the o/d..any tips? ( i tried tapping the throttle as i had read somewhere, and running/notrunning)

Last edited by BlacktoothGrin; 09-12-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 PM

well just incase anyone else has these issues ill give updates, so i drained the tranny, and changed the filter. pulled the battery cable over night, and adjusted the tps as good as i could ( but for some reason at wot i got O.L on the meter, same with check #5 (e2 and vcc i think)) started it up and it seemed to be good, ive driven it about 4-5 times all with no problems so far!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:21 PM

thats good news!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:59 AM

Thats good news. The tps has to be adjusted with a volt meter.

You can have 3 of the 4 settings right but that one wrong setting will cause you problems.

Adjusting the tps is a pain to do. My advice is to get all the settings correct. It does affect your truck. Wether today, tomorrow or the next day it will keep acting up until you correct it.

You can adjust the tps with the intake mani off the motor which makes it alot easier to get to, and work on without having to work around the thermo neck.

I went through alot when working on mine, but the tps also sends signals to your ecu as well as your tranny so it not working properly affects your trans and how the truck runs.

Good luck with it. Hope it keeps working just fix it properly as soon as you can
Old 09-27-2012, 10:22 PM

i could never get the last 2 tests to act right, it alwasy went OL at about 3/4 throttle
Old 09-27-2012, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, this makes me wonder what my 3.0 w/auto trans is doing... I park it in the same place every night, get gas from the same place every time, have replaced the plug wires, rotor, and cap (not plugs or fuel filter yet) and it still does weird stuff. No rhyme to the saga but some mornings at the bottom of the driveway it takes off like a bat out of hell, then some days it will move but very slow, and at 3k rpm, BAM it's moving well. It also drives the way I wish it always would while warming up and before the O/D kicks in. It drives more like a manual trans then

Some days I will floor it and it won't jump to the lower gear, this is rare but it does happen. No codes. My fluid is a little dark but it isn't burnt either. Probably due for a drain and fill or filter change etc. Also, very randomly I have a stumble/miss at rpms lower than 3k. I thought the rotor/cap/wires would take care of that. I do have NGK plugs to go into it but I haven't had a day off from work in 3 weeks so I haven't replaced them yet. I don't know why a spark plug would cause an intermittent low rpm stumble but we'll see, it would be awesome if it fixed it lol.

I've heard horror stories about a flush and the trans. giving up the ghost. I'm saving for a manual trans but that will be a minute, there are about 350 million things to do before that but there will be a part picked up here and there and $20 a week set aside for it....

I really MISS having a manual transmission. I bought and drove my A/T and convinced myself I could get used to it but.... nope. I know when my truck should shift better than it does