Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Toyota Will Only Move in 4L.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Will Only Move in 4L.

Hello, good morning/evening, I own a 1986 toyota pickup, its 4x4 automatic, I just rebuilt the 22re engine along with the tranny and transfer case. Now everything is installed but I tried driving it and it wouldn't move only in 4L and it moves really strong in 4L, had a hard time stopping it. I lifted the rear tires off the ground and attempted to move them in 2H and 4H and they do move but as soon as the tires touch the ground then it won't move. It revs hi and you can feel when you shift between gears, and in the ground you can see that it kind of wants to move in 2H and 4H. Any ideas of what it could be? Please help! I appreciate any ideas, thank you.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:22 PM

I'm curious about this one, and really want to hear what people have to say, but can't offer more than: torque? For whatever reason, you need full gear reduction to generate torque sufficient to move. That you "have a hard time stopping" indicates that 4L is working great. That confuses me as I would expect a weaker 4L if something was off at the tranny.

Edit: the longer I think on it the more this seems like a t-case problem. Ive never owned or dealt with an auto tranny though. That all 4 tires spin in 4H is the bugger. No "bad" sounds in 2h or 4h?

I'm really just trying to bump this up

Edit, again:did you play with the brakes at all?

Last edited by dromomaniac; 05-02-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:08 PM

Does the 4wd shifter feel normal ? It sure does sound like a shifter problem to me if it was good before the rebuild . Pull shifter out look down into t case. Where the end of the shifter goes. If it's in 2wheel , the right notch should be all the way back and left one should be all the way forward .
Old 05-02-2014, 07:57 PM

yes i am also leAning toward the transfer case being the cause of the problem. there are no bad sounds in 2h or 4h.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:59 PM

the 4wd shifter feels normal but ill take it apart tomorrow. ill post the results tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:30 AM

More than likely, the shift rails were put back in incorrectly.
That is if you completely rebuild the transfer.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
shift rails? in an automatic? lol

You say you rebuilt the tranny. So you....yourself..rebuilt the automatic trans? I think I found the problem.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by HighLux
shift rails? in an automatic? lol

You say you rebuilt the tranny. So you....yourself..rebuilt the automatic trans? I think I found the problem.
There are shift rails in the transfer....
Old 05-04-2014, 02:24 PM

Well guys, I looked into the shifter and put it back together and it still doing the same thing. I got the transmission and transfer case rebuilt so I decided to take it out yesterday and give it back to the guy who worked on it. He said he will give it back this coming week since it does look like there might be an internal problem most likely in the transfer case. He said the trasmission couldn't not be the problem because if it was it wouldn't move at all in 4H. I look forward to getting the transmission back and hopefully that getting the problem fixed. Ill keep you guys posted on what the results are and on what he tells me. If you guys have any opinions about if what he said is correct or might be right please let me know. P.S. the transfercase and transmission were working great before the rebuilt. I do wonder what he missed or messed up. If there are rails inside the transfercase then maybe he did put them backwards and thats why its only engaging in 4H.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:57 PM

There are two shift rails in the transfer case, high/low and 2wd/4wd. Sounds like something might be wrong with the high/low shift rail. Sounds like it will go into low, then neutral, but will not go into high. Either the rail or the shift fork was put in wrong.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:13 AM

I don't want to clutter this thread, but I still don't understand how this is happening.

So, there's two forks here, the one that engages the front drive shaft and the one that grabs either 4H or 4L. In this case, power is going to the front but it is insufficient in 4H because the High-Low fork isn't grabbing in 4H.

OK, that makes sense I guess. Bu what about 2H? The original post seems to imply that 2H is not generating sufficient torque.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by dromomaniac
I don't want to clutter this thread, but I still don't understand how this is happening.

So, there's two forks here, the one that engages the front drive shaft and the one that grabs either 4H or 4L. In this case, power is going to the front but it is insufficient in 4H because the High-Low fork isn't grabbing in 4H.

OK, that makes sense I guess. Bu what about 2H? The original post seems to imply that 2H is not generating sufficient torque.
The key here, is that the high/low is actually high/neutral/low. With all four wheels off the ground, and the transfer in neutral, the wheels will turn simply because of the lack of resistance against the drivetrain. You could easily stop the wheel with your hand.

So, the assumption is that it is going out of low, but isn't getting into high gear at all (4H or 2H).

I had something similar happen when I put a gear driven case in my V6. In my case, however, the rail was actually hitting the adapter, and not allowing a shift from low to high.

I'm guessing the shift rails. It is possible to put it together wrong, and it seems okay, until you put the shifter in, and realize that it won't shift correctly.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:17 PM

You guys do have a very good point, I still haven't heard from the guy who rebuilt the transfer case, but it is very likely like that he did put something wrong because as I mentioned earlier, the transfer case was working great before the rebuilt. I just rebuilt it because I thought it was best to do so while the transmission was getting rebuilt. Maybe I shouldn't have rebuilt it jejeje. Oh well, Ill head to the shop tomorrow to see if there has been any news and let you guys know. Though the shift rail of High Gear not moving far enough to engage high gear seems to be a logical explanation. Ill probably tell the transmissioner that to help him out a little if he still hasn't figure it out.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:32 PM

Good evening everyone, so I finally got the transmission with the transfer case back, turns out the guy who rebuilt is said that the problem was inside the transmission, supposently there had been a bearing/metal ring that was installed wrong. We put the transmission on today and the axle shafts and am looking to finish working on it tomorrow. Hopefully it'll run and everything will be good. Can't wait to try my new tranny and go offroad. What do you guys think? Is there such a "metal ring" inside the tranny that could have caused this?
Old 05-07-2014, 02:24 AM

Doesn't sound right, since the truck moved in 4L. But maybe he found some magic ring that did that.
(edit: unless he means transfer instead of transmission. He might be talking about the shift fork/ring)
If you haven't put the transfer back in yet, pm me your number, and I can walk you through checking it out.

Last edited by Cyberman; 05-07-2014 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:28 PM

I already installed it, and the results are the following, the truck ran like a champ in 2H, 4H and 4L but now the transmission will not go into first gear when put in drive, it seems to be stuck in 3rd gear only and the Overdrive light is flashing. When in a complete stop I have to start from L then move to 2 and the use D and still D won't engage fully, Neutral and Reverse and Park all work great, just D doesn't. Do you guys know what it could be? Have any of you guys had the same problem? Also the speedometer won't engage now, in other words, when driving the speedometer won't say the speed you are going. Please help! Appreciate all the comments.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:37 PM

Real shop or side job guy?

Either way this guy is a joke. Be prepared to get your money back or to get nasty. You either know your way around an automatic or you dont. If you dont...then dont mess with one. They are in my opinion the toughest job possible on any vehicle.

I went through a bad trans builder...who was nationally known on my mach1. He stole my french fries over 3 times in a row. His partner wrote me a check to cover his partners butt. He had no business inside an automatic. I got 1000 miles out of a trans. It smoked. Then 50. Then down the street. My garage smelled like burned trans fluid for years afterward.

PIsees me off to this day. Im mad for you man.

Last edited by vital22re; 05-08-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: bypassing censor
Old 05-07-2014, 08:00 PM

Real shop but they don't rebuild the transmissions there, they send them to a guy who worked at a transmission shop, he is an elderly retired man, he now rebuilds the transmissions from his home and the shop just install them. I am really frustrated and honestly don't think I should trust him anymore. Not even sure if he installed all the parts new in the transmission .
Old 05-07-2014, 08:18 PM

Are you paying the shop directly or the old retired guy?
Old 05-07-2014, 08:44 PM

The shop. Why? Though I already gave the money to the shop of how much the guy who rebuild the transmission asked. Hey how much does it usually cost to rebuild an automatic 4x4 transmission?

Quick Reply: Toyota Will Only Move in 4L.