Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

toyota rv 3vze headers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking toyota rv 3vze headers!

Hey guys!

I started installing NWOR headers on my toyota rv with a 3vze and ran into a few questions.

1) Has anybody used LC Engineering's 3vze exhaust manifold studs? I purchased these, but they look a bit cheap compared to the OEM ones. I know the LCE's are cheaper in price ($21 vs $70 from toyota!!) Or should I purchase NWOR studs?

2) I was able to test fit the driver side by removing anything that got in the way, but the driver side looks impossible physically. Any advice for tackling this?

Here are a few pictures of the rv and headers:

before

after

LCE studs

Test fit!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
are the headers actually for the RV?

the studs should be just fine, use some good lock tight on them and they'll never budge!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Lol Good luck, is all I can say. It took me 2 days to put mine in, and it took hours of fiddling/scratching up the pipe just to get it installed. Also, Those studs will work. they're much cheaper than buying OEM ones. theyre like 3 bucks a pop, not including bolts.

Also, the easiest way to do the passenger side is to remove all the vacuum hoses, label them, and reinstall after the installation of the header.

Good luck
Old 03-22-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by camo31_10.50
are the headers actually for the RV?

the studs should be just fine, use some good lock tight on them and they'll never budge!
That is what I need to hear. Thank you! The headers are not for the RV, but If it doesn't fit correctly I can always use my mig welder to negotiate it!

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
Lol Good luck, is all I can say. It took me 2 days to put mine in, and it took hours of fiddling/scratching up the pipe just to get it installed. Also, Those studs will work. they're much cheaper than buying OEM ones. theyre like 3 bucks a pop, not including bolts.

Also, the easiest way to do the passenger side is to remove all the vacuum hoses, label them, and reinstall after the installation of the header.

Good luck
lol thanks! I can see I have to remove the vacuum lines, but what about those brake lines on the frame? They look like they are right in the path of the headers. If you didn't have problems with the brake lines then it might just be a 2wd vs 4wd problem.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 PM

should be no problem with the brake lines. if there is, bend them out of the way.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:32 PM

Anybody got pictures of the shifting rod for this automatic tranny. I hope these headers work with the column shifting style.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:17 PM

I dont think anyones every installed headers on an RV, 2WD, or a column shifter before... so you're on your own
Old 03-24-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Thats cool! They cleaned up nice!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:32 PM

what'd you use to clean them up, by the way?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 PM

The headers were stainless steel so I knew they could be restored. I used 2" and 3" sanding discs. I started with 240 grit and went to 1500 grit. It took a long time, but it came out nice. I think I'm going to wrap the entire driver side with header wrap. Everything is so tight on that side. Oh well at least I know how to restore ss
Old 03-26-2011, 09:49 PM

Ran into a minor problem...

Old 03-27-2011, 10:08 AM

Hmmm... I have ceramic ones. Probably no way of restoring that, huh?

And is that a crack in the header? Im unsure of what im looking at. At first I thought it hung lower than the frame rail lol
Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OMG are the torsion bars located on the LCA on that? I never looked at the 2wd suspension before.

Before you start cutting and welding let me warn you about welding SS, it needs to have back shielding or it gets brittle. To back shield a pipe fill the inside with an inert gas like argon.

If it were me I'd sell the headers to cut my losses and go back to the stock manifolds. If its the stock cross-over you want to eliminate build a custom cross-over. Something like this: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...r-pipe-138902/

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-27-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
OMG are the torsion bars located on the LCA on that? I never looked at the 2wd suspension before.

Before you start cutting and welding let me warn you about welding SS, it needs to have back shielding or it gets brittle. To back shield a pipe fill the inside with an inert gas like argon.

If it were me I'd sell the headers to cut my losses and go back to the stock manifolds. If its the stock cross-over you want to eliminate build a custom cross-over. Something like this: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...r-pipe-138902/
Yes sir! The torsion bars are right in the headers path.

We were contemplating on what to do next and we decided cut the passenger side headers and rewelded them. We also dented one of the tubes just enough to clear the torsion bar. We did not use argon to purge the headers, but we'll see what happens.

Thinking about making a jig out of these headers and starting over later on.

Thanks for the advice!

The driver side headers are also in the way of the torsion bar and blocking the shifting rod. This project has become very tiring, but I don't want to give up.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:08 PM

Hmmm... I have ceramic ones. Probably no way of restoring that, huh?

And is that a crack in the header? Im unsure of what im looking at. At first I thought it hung lower than the frame rail lol
I don't think ceramic headers can be polished, but I believed they can be resprayed.

No crack... the headers come right where the torsion bars are located.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by superchiem
...We also dented one of the tubes just enough to clear the torsion bar...
Keep in mind the engine moves/rotates quite a bit while driving, so the headers will too. To check clearance put it in reverse and drive with the brake on and apply some throttle. That will torque it up both directions. Have someone watch the headers move, but don't run over them
Old 03-28-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think anyones every installed headers on an RV, 2WD, or a column shifter before... so you're on your own
LCE sells several headers for the 4cyl 2wd trucks, each 22R header (most of their header listings say what application for other motors too) listed is marked as 2wd or 4wd. Apparently they don't do it for the 3VZ, their page doesn't even state 4wd only or anything like that.

Last edited by Magnusian; 03-28-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Keep in mind the engine moves/rotates quite a bit while driving, so the headers will too. To check clearance put it in reverse and drive with the brake on and apply some throttle. That will torque it up both directions. Have someone watch the headers move, but don't run over them
The 3vze while facing the engine rotates clockwise correct? Thanks mt_goat!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by superchiem
The 3vze while facing the engine rotates clockwise correct? Thanks mt_goat!
It torques one way in reverse and the other way in forward.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:24 PM

Looks like I'm throwing in the towel. I just don't have the skills or the correct tools to tackle this job at this time.

I still need a little uhmmff.. so I was researching on how to block of the EGR. I was about to put in the 10k resistor when I found I don't have an EGR temp sensor.

Would it be located somewhere else?

Quick Reply: toyota rv 3vze headers!