86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Toyota Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Quality?

Hey guys, i am new to toyota, but i dont understand what the deal is with toyota being a superior product. After i bought the truck, i learned what a 'great' buy i had made. I have had this truck for around 1yr. and i do not see the quality that is talked about. I take the truck as it is, and it does its job. I would not, however, praise it because i did not get left on the side of the road on my way home from work. I dunno if i have missed something, but my Toyota is just a vehicle.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how many parts have you replaced in that year? how many vehicles have you had?

Ive had a few different makes, and Toyota has gave me less problems than my previous cars!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:34 PM

Give it time, and if you beat your truck like most of us, you will be ready to do a commercial!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:35 PM

You bought a 20 year old truck. What exactly do you expect?
...on second thought, I don't want to know.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:38 PM

I am not bashing toyota in any way. I did not expect my truck to work when i got it. I had to work on it to get it running. It had been sitting for a while and i got it running after brake and exhaust work to pass emissions. I did not expect a trouble free truck.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:41 PM

I believe that there is a lot of hype around the toyota product and some of that is not deserved.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah go buy a jeep with waek axles and a unibody then talk about quality...

maybe the previoud owner didnt take care of your yota..
but my 91 hilux straight outta japan has better build quality than a new gm
Old 01-15-2009, 05:46 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Think what you want...
Old 01-15-2009, 05:47 PM

My japanese vehicles have been less repair prone than my domestic vehicles. Specifically my Nissan and Toyota vehicles have been more reliable than my Isuzu and GM vehicles.

My experience with the local toyota dealer has been above and beyond what I've encountered at other brands, namely the parts & service department have been great to work with. Nothing is ever all roses but Voss Toyota took my then 13 year old truck and did the relay rod recall no questions and no fuss, promptly scheduled and appointment and quickly completed the job. I had to pull teeth sometimes with the Nissan parts guys to get what I wanted. Nissan products are good but their dealers are notoriously terrible to deal with AFTER the sale.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:49 PM

My brother has a 1994 jeep and he has just passed me in mileage. He has less problems than me, mechanical or electrical. Obviously, if jeeps or any other cars were junk, then nobody would buy them.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because on a regular basis, the 20r,22r/22re, 3vze, 3rzfe, and a few other Toyota motors (5mge? 7mge?) go to 300K+ miles with little to no rebuild and regular maintenance. Yes, some domestic vehicles have gotten that high, but mainly older ones. Also, Volvo and Honda vehicles have gone that high. Toyotas may not have "quality" trim, carpeting, or other stuff like that, but they hold their value better than other vehicles 10+ years old.

What hype do you speak of?

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 01-15-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MidtownYota
I believe that there is a lot of hype around the toyota product and some of that is not deserved.
what would you be referring to?

He has every rite to have an opinion. That's why we call them opinions. If they were correct, they would be facts.

these toyotas are pretty much reliable compared to other older trucks. ive had this truck for almost a year and i had no problem with it except a blown headgasket. but i bought the truck with the blown headgasket. the only problem i had was a blown brake line. i used to have a 96 ram 2500 and that was the biggest pos that i ever had. over 10 grand in repairs within 4 years including a new engine, bunch of parts in the front end. it had so many steering problems.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:54 PM

At least around where i live, people praise the toyota name for its long lasting qualities and durability. I however, do not see many of these manifested in the sample of toyota i have and of other toyotas in general.

Dude, havn't you seen that video from Top Gear? I can post it if you want!

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Obviously, if jeeps or any other cars were junk, then nobody would buy them.
Have you been under a rock the past 6 months...? Chrystler (JEEP) needed money from the government, also known as taxpayer dollars just to stay afloat, Why, Because of poor quality finally got around to enough people and they said, *LIGHTBULB* This toyota company that ive been hearing about for the last 20 years sounds like a good deal, And many never looked back. Toyota had its FIRST, in 77 years, loss in profit. Take that chrystler and GM.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by scuba
Think what you want...
x2...
Old 01-15-2009, 05:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Clearly your toyota doesnt love you.
sell it to one of us, we appreciate them.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Hey guys, i am new to toyota, but i dont understand what the deal is with toyota being a superior product. After i bought the truck, i learned what a 'great' buy i had made. I have had this truck for around 1yr. and i do not see the quality that is talked about. I take the truck as it is, and it does its job. I would not, however, praise it because i did not get left on the side of the road on my way home from work. I dunno if i have missed something, but my Toyota is just a vehicle.
you aren't seeing the whole picture, IMO...

Case in point. I'm only 21, but I've owned, drove, or worked on enough vechiles to figure out pretty much what's crap, and what's built pretty solid. From what I can tell, all the car manufacturers turned into crap in the mid 90's, when every thing got computerised, body parts and quarter panels became plastic, and the only thing the automotive CEO's wanted was profit, profit, profit. All of my older cars were the best out of any vehicle I've ever owned. My first car, a 79 Cobra that me and my father picked up, have 245k on the original 302. Purred like a kitten, and would stomp ANY ricer on the street, and it was bone stock. My 82 Monte Carlo, although I guess that one wasn't completely stock, was a solid car too. The interior held up through the years and all it showed was a small crack on the dash. I think my hell started with vehicles with my 88 Isuzu and my 87 Cherokee, but those were beat'n to hell by their previous owner.

Now, I've also owned a couple newer ones. My 2000 Mustang; bought it with 64k on it. 2 Weeks after getting it, it blows a head gasket while driving to school one morning at 55mph. Get that fixed, then the rack and pinion goes to hell. Get that fixed, and something completely screwed up in the computer, cause the car just would not start one day, so I got rid of it. Then I had a 97 S10 for a while. I fixed the blown head gasket in it that had 120k on it, and drove it for another 10k, then the diff grenaded. Fixed that, and 20k later the trans crapped out...

What I've seen also is 2, count em, 2 full size 98 Dodge Ram's about go up in flames do to a short in the steering column. Also on one of those, the flippin driver's side door almost fell off the hinges. These aren't second hand stories either, both the Dodges where my father's.

Out of all of those, this 91 Toyota Pickup has ran the best, and put up with more abuse than any vehicle I have ever seen. The first 6 months I had the truck, it pretty much stayed coated in thick, black, nastey Florida mud. It's seen quite a bit of air, has had numerous rev-limiter clutch drops, and has seen as many RPMs as a Ferrarri in a le Mans 24 hour race. And with close to 300k on the odometer, it has never failed to start for me in the morning. It's been hydrolocked once, and drove home the same day. It's had a tire fall off on the road, and I just jacked the truck up, bolted the tire back on, and continued on to work. That's not to say it doesn't need it's mantainence. After all the miles, you can expect some quirks. But the craftsmanship that Toyota put into the vehicles in unmatched in my eyes. The things were designed right the first time around, and they only got better as the years past (well, ok I'll go as far as 95 ), and accept for the 3.0's, I don't know what happened there... maybe a new guy designed that motor...

Point is, after everything my Toyota as been put through, and after all the miles on it's stock drive line and untouched 22re, she still fires up in the morning, runs smooth with it's primitive electronics, stops at red lights like you would expect it to, and generally get's me from point A to point B with no problems, even if point B were on the top of a snowy mountain or in the bottom of a muddy valley.

But perhaps the best thing my Toyota is good at, and the reason why I like it so much, is the grin it puts on my face every time I turn the key and hear the 22re fire to life and the manifold gasket started leaking; every time I take a sharp corner my turn stops squeek; just wait, the longer you own your Toyota, it'll grow onto you, you'll see. You end up loving it for what it is, and not just thinking of it as just "that truck you drive around, and oh it's 4wd too", it becomes a part of you; your mechnical, fuel burning, offroad tire spining extention to your body. And the more you're behind the wheel of it, the more you'll fall in love with your Toyota.

Trav

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 01-15-2009 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota Quality?