86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Toyota 'Buzzer'

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota 'Buzzer'

I finally got annoyed enough at the buzzer that I removed it. Admittedly I was surprised to see that there are 7 wires going into the buzzer. I checked my FSM and could not find a schematic as I would like to do two things:

1. Pick and choose what things cause the buzzer to go off.
2. Determine if I have a headlight warning

Anyone have a wiring diagram or already gone through this?

I have an '87 4Runner SR5. Should I have a headlight warning already? I either do not, or its not working. Wire color? That and ignition are the only buzzer alarms that I want.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Here it is.
https://www.yotatech.com/51637488-post10.html

Disassemble buzzer box/assembly. Defeat/Delete buzzer mechanism. Assemble & Re-install buzzer box/assembly. Insert wiring connector. Done.

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-15-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by angrybob
I checked my FSM and could not find a schematic as I would like to do two things:
1. Pick and choose what things cause the buzzer to go off.
2. Determine if I have a headlight warning
Should I have a headlight warning already? I either do not, or its not working. Wire color? That and ignition are the only buzzer alarms that I want.
Any help would be appreciated.
Angrybob, I'm angry at that buzzer, too that as soon as I saw you post, I decided to go for it.

Thanks, MudHippy for the link. That will disable all the buzz but it will also disable buzz for leaving key in ignition when you get out of the car.

Cleaner Approach:
There is a switch in the seatbelt buckle that closes when you're not buckled up. To defeat seatbelt warning, follow seatbelt buckle to where it bolts into floor right-hand side behind the driver's seat. Note someone's lost penny ). Find a black wire. Pull it out from under carpet and you will see a white/yellowish connector. Disconnect. Seal off connector with electrical tape before someone's lost penny finds it - LOL!

I will post pics of the seat belt connection after brunch -

Now you will only get a buzz if you left key in ignition.

I believe light remind relay is only on SR5's. Per FSM it is located behind right front speaker, and to right of blower, near the Circuiit Opening Relay. General location here... I do no have an SR5 so I only have the mounting hole.
Name:  Circ_Open_Relay_001-1.jpg
Views: 9405
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  Circ_Open_Relay_002-1.jpg
Views: 7149
Size:  90.6 KB
Old 04-15-2012, 03:52 PM

Maybe the headlight warning was an option bundled with cruise control. I found its location in the FSM (same as your description) and nothing was there. I don't think my truck has it.

I do have the seatbelt circuit but no warning either.

I think I am going to make a jumper to find out which one is the ignition and try to disable all others...its out of the truck for now
Old 04-16-2012, 02:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just cut the door sensor wire.
Simple.
Just gotta remember to turn the marker lights off when I get out. Hah.

I always have the doors open with the key in when I'm working on something so I can listen to my tunes. I believe the door button wire was my first mod. Hah.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stuwy123
I just cut the door sensor wire.
Simple.

I always have the doors open with the key in when I'm working on something so I can listen to my tunes. I believe the door button wire was my first mod. Hah.
Why not just roll the window down and shut the door? Or, assuming you have a good battery, leave the door open but turn the key all the way to 'on' instead of 'acc' so it quits buzzing? Didn't you lose the dome light door trigger when you cut the switch wire?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It buzzed constantly whenever the key was in the ignition.
The door dome light quit turning on when the door is opened.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been ten years, but I seem to recall simply finding the buzzer component, and jamming a small screwdriver tip into the sound hole, and twisting it around until the buzzer died it's death. I still have warning lights(where applicable), but I, for one, do not need a buzzer for anything, ever.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Seatbelt Warning Disabled - Key Left in Ignition Warning Active

Originally Posted by angrybob
Maybe the headlight warning was an option bundled with cruise control. I found its location in the FSM (same as your description) and nothing was there. I don't think my truck has it.

I do have the seatbelt circuit but no warning either.

I think I am going to make a jumper to find out which one is the ignition and try to disable all others...its out of the truck for now
Hi Angry Bob & folks,
I finally got the chance to post this fix.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199.../#post51904213

Disabled seat belt buzz
This time it will only buzz If door is open and you leave your key in ignition.
Leaves your buzzer assembly stock.

Mod to add light reminder circuit in build thread & signature.

Regards,
RAD
Old 04-17-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith B.
...but I, for one, do not need a buzzer for anything, ever.
I'm with ya. Hence why I did what I did to mine.

I don't need a buzzer to:

A. Tell if my headlights are on. I'm not blind. And my buzzer never had this function anyway.
B. Tell me if I haven't buckled my seat belt. I'm well aware of the fact. And my buzzer never had this function either(PO had already pulled the plug).
C. Tell me if I've left the key in the ignition. Because I really don't care if I do, for a number of reasons. And my buzzer only had this function occasionally. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. So I couldn't rely on it anymore anyway.

I do need my buzzerless buzzer box to:

A. Complete the door open/dome light switch circuit(or whatever it's called). So that the dome light(if you can call it that) comes on, when I have it set to do so, as a cab door opens. That's a useful feature.

So, in theory, I could just bypass the buzzer box altogether to get the same effect. Just splice together the appropriate wires, and have a buzzerless door open/dome light circuit. But, I'm already there. So who cares how I got here?

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-17-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stuwy123
This is the reason I want the buzzer. I have left the marker lights on once at work and needed a jump box by the end of the day...of course that was with a Walmart battery from the PO at the time.

Probably don't need any others.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 PM

My '90 has a headlight warning piezo separate from the door/ignition buzzer. The headlight piezo is handy and much less annoying than the buzzer, but I've always been able to defeat the buzzer without issue...such as turing the key to 'on' instead of 'acc', or rolling the window down and closing the door, etc. etc..

Still a good simple mod for those who are easily annoyed.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Here it is.
https://www.yotatech.com/51637488-post10.html

Disassemble buzzer box/assembly. Defeat/Delete buzzer mechanism. Assemble & Re-install buzzer box/assembly. Insert wiring connector. Done.
My buzzer has been officially 'mudhippified'

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a base with the headlight ringer tone thing and no cruise control maybe it was just a option
Old 03-08-2014, 10:44 PM

My buzzer sounded like A chipmunk in a pair of vice-grips. It buzzed during two occasions; I was unbuckled or my door was opened. I looked and could not find the buzzer so I just unplugged the door courtesy switch and the seatbelt plug. I had only one issue after that though, my dome light would come on when my passenger door was opened, but not when the driver's door was open. I finally found the buzzer, disconnected it and simply bridged the plug's blade connectors with a short piece of wire. I might just kill the buzz in the buzzer so I can have seatbelt lights on my instrument panel.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:56 PM

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts
I popped that seatbelt/key-in-ignition buzzer module out within days of driving my '87 off the dealer's lot. That was pre-Internet, so I was all on my own. The only down-side seemed to be the loss of dome light activation from the left door. Wacky. Actually, I've come to embrace that change so I can now get in/out more stealthily.

And like others, I actually like the warning that I left my headlights on. It only squawks if the key's out anyway.
The following users liked this post:
popsbrothers (08-02-2021)
Old 03-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Here is how I fixed mine and still have the domelight. I think 93 an newer has a different buzzer.

Copied...
thought I was going to fix a problem and created another. I always got tired of hearing my door buzzer alarm and first thing I did was find it under the Steering Column.

All was fine until I noticed that I did not have a dome light when I opened the drivers door. Passenger door worked and so did the switch on the cab. First thing I thought was the door switch was bad or dirty or corroded. I checked it out and it was good.

Did some looking around and you have to have the door alarm in for the drivers door light to work.

Also found the cure for the alarm on YT. Just bent the tab out a little so as not to make contact. If you ever want to hear it again, it can be bent back in.

Here is the Buzzer Box under the Steering Column.
Name:  Buzzerbox.jpg
Views: 6303
Size:  18.3 KB

Just bend the tab out from the bottom a little bit.
Name:  BentTab.jpg
Views: 5752
Size:  20.1 KB

Here it is going back together. There are 2 tabs to the cover that I just pryed a pocket knife. Life is good now.
Name:  Backtogether.jpg
Views: 6162
Size:  17.3 KB

Apparently this is a fairly common problem. What I found on different threads is that a lot of the door switches and buzzers get removed. This was as far as I had to go to troubleshoot. Also I did find that by bending the tab you can control how loud the buzzer is.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Buzzer operation

Silly as it may seem, I would like to get my buzzer working again! I found a relay/buzzer module and installed it. The dome light interface with the driver door switch is now working, but the buzzer does not buzz when it should. Any suggestions? Is there way to test buzzer operation?
Old 11-18-2018, 05:42 PM

Received 158 Likes on 101 Posts

This is for an 87
Old 11-24-2018, 01:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
That picture helped me find the one that showed the seatbelt buzzer relay, which I used to help solve the problem. Thanks for your help.

Jim

Quick Reply: Toyota 'Buzzer'