Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Took MONTHS but found starting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:02 AM

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts
Took MONTHS but found starting problem.

I recently bought a 1987 Turbo 4runner... since I got it, it randomly would not start...turn the key and everything would light up on the dash but nothing would happen.. no click...no buzz.. no hum...nothing...leave for a few minutes come back and it would start...did this at least 25 times over about a 3 month period... after two starters...new battery terminal connectors...double and triple checking all connections and grounds...messing with the ignition switch and never having any long term success fixing or finding the problem.... I FINALLY found the problem... when it doesn't start I can gently bump the shifter handle forward and it cranks right up...which means that it is the Neutral Safety Switch...for sure positively...yeah.. I found it....finally.....going to try and adjust the switch and see if I can get some more life out of it...the OEM replacement is $300!
Our 87 22re standard 4runner has a "starter relay" on the passenger side fender....which I thought might be the issue with the turbo truck...alas.. the 87 22RTE automatic 4runner does NOT have the "starter relay" anywhere under the hood that I could find. Just FYI .....I was able to put the two stock untampered with vehicles side by side to compare and look for possible solutions to my starting trouble. Then after doing pretty extensive research on this and the 22rte forums I started to suspect the NSS.... sure enough it is the culprit....these electrical issues can be frustrating but I guess being persistent and knowing your truck and sticking with trying to find the problem has paid off.....Good luck with your 1st generation challenges and maybe this will help....or at least encourage you to keep trying.
.... I know I could wire around the NSS and rig something for the back up lights.....but I really wanted to find and fix the problem and leave things as factory as possible...sometimes you can't or can't afford the fix and have to get creative but, I will fix this with Toyota parts if and when it fails...just sayin......

Last edited by 87-4runner; 02-23-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good job. I know it makes you feel good to find the problem.
Rock on.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
That's a familiar problem with some early camry's. Here's a little info on cleaning it up. I've done it to my 90' camry when I was having problems.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...rt-switch.html

If its hard to find 1st gen runners in the yards, try and look for other cars/trucks that use similar parts. Toyotapartszone is a good place to cross check part numbers and it tells you which other vehicles the part is used on. For example your switch is also on 1st gen trucks...so maybe they are more plentiful in the yards.

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/Page_...er=84223-35010

Also, $300 is probably the price your local dealer is quoting, try and check online dealer prices....toyotapartszone and partznet (conicelli toyota) are in the $190's. Me being in california I use partznet so no tax and free shipping over a $100 orders.

Last edited by Grego92; 02-23-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:21 PM

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts
Thanks Grego.....good info I'll check into your references.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
deleted

Last edited by swampfox; 02-25-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:31 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 87-4runner
I recently bought a 1987 Turbo 4runner... since I got it, it randomly would not start...turn the key and everything would light up on the dash but nothing would happen.. no click...no buzz.. no hum...nothing...leave for a few minutes come back and it would start...did this at least 25 times over about a 3 month period... after two starters...new battery terminal connectors...double and triple checking all connections and grounds...messing with the ignition switch and never having any long term success fixing or finding the problem.... I FINALLY found the problem... when it doesn't start I can gently bump the shifter handle forward and it cranks right up...which means that it is the Neutral Safety Switch...for sure positively...yeah.. I found it....finally.....going to try and adjust the switch and see if I can get some more life out of it...the OEM replacement is $300!
Our 87 22re standard 4runner has a "starter relay" on the passenger side fender....which I thought might be the issue with the turbo truck...alas.. the 87 22RTE automatic 4runner does NOT have the "starter relay" anywhere under the hood that I could find. Just FYI .....I was able to put the two stock untampered with vehicles side by side to compare and look for possible solutions to my starting trouble. Then after doing pretty extensive research on this and the 22rte forums I started to suspect the NSS.... sure enough it is the culprit....these electrical issues can be frustrating but I guess being persistent and knowing your truck and sticking with trying to find the problem has paid off.....Good luck with your 1st generation challenges and maybe this will help....or at least encourage you to keep trying.
.... I know I could wire around the NSS and rig something for the back up lights.....but I really wanted to find and fix the problem and leave things as factory as possible...sometimes you can't or can't afford the fix and have to get creative but, I will fix this with Toyota parts if and when it fails...just sayin......
good job You know you could try jumpering(bypass) the nss. I wonder how it would start up while in Drive. It would be kinda interesting. I may do this to mine.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:47 AM

Newbie here. I have auto 1987 4runner. Which color wires to jump NSS? Starts 90% in neutral, 5% in park, 5% not at all. I want to bypass NSS since I cant afford $200 for this part. Thanks in advance for ur help!!

Last edited by Juslog; 03-27-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:52 AM

BTW, my name is Jamie. I own a 1986, standard and the 1987, auto, both i drive to work. Lately both are giving me problems, 1986 is clutch and 1987 is starting problem. I just need a dependable car from and to work. One post said black and black wires. Tried that but it didnt work. Again this is for the 1987 4runner, with auto tranny. Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:05 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Could you be more specific on black to black. That sound like you are talking about electrical. But where. The starter? If your not sure and can post pictures they help tons. Use a hosting site like photobucket and copy the image code in to you post where you want the picture to show and its there. Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:53 PM

Hes referring to the NSS wires. Someone on here will chime in with the answer or wiring diagram im sure.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
Could you be more specific on black to black. That sound like you are talking about electrical. But where. The starter? If your not sure and can post pictures they help tons. Use a hosting site like photobucket and copy the image code in to you post where you want the picture to show and its there. Hope this helps.
Thanks for ur reply. 2 pigtails come out of NSS, one with 6-pins and another with 3 pins. I jumped 1 black wire from the 3-pin and 1 black wire from the 6-pin but it didnt work. Which wires from NSS shall I jump? Thanks again for your help.