86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing Idler pullys of something in that area

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Timing Idler pullys of something in that area

going another route here because some one mentioned to me that maybe I have a bad water outlet idler pulley or maybe some thing else in the timing belt area.... so I'll give another try at trying to locate source of vibration one last time...maybe it's a shot in the dark but what the heck...I have replaced other parts but still can't shake this issue

I can stand in front of my engine in park (95 4runner 3.0 4x4 auto)...with it running and reach over to the throttle body.I grab the accelerator cable and raise the rpms from idle through 2500-3500 and have a vibration and I can feel it through the front bumper, and the higher I raise the rpms the more vibration I have and a noise.I have used my stethoscope around that water outlet pulley and can here a lot of noise there when raising the rpms

Could this be coming from any of the timing parts or idler pulleys?... and travel from front of the engine to my front bumper and automatic shifter?

has any one had a problem like this before?... when the pulley bearings go bad can they be felt through the engine and tranny auto shifter

It is always at the same rpms noticed from about 2500 and really bad at 4000 and higher. when I accelerate hard and I watch the rpms go up the vibration goes up with it.....and once I reach a speed lets say 55 and the level off accelerator to maintain that speed....I don't feel it quite so bad because the rpms are low in the O.D.gear

any suggestions will be much appreciated
Dwayne
Old 03-07-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I doubt the idlers could cause a vibration bad enough to be felt through to the bumper and your tranny shifter. Can you feel the engine itself vibrating? Maybe bad engine mount, or crank bearings, or excessive clearance in the camshaft journal bearings (not as likely, unless you ran low on oil).
Old 03-07-2009, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info...and to answer your question ..I replaced the drivers side engine mount yesterday and the passengers side is fine.I really can't feel a vibration in the engine at idle but it does idle rough some times.I really don't know how to tell if it is coming from the crank bearings, or excessive clearance in the camshaft journal bearings at this point
but a good call and if you have any more idea please let me know
Dwayne