Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Timing chain issues on 89 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing chain issues on 89 4Runner

Hey everyone,

I have an '89 4Runner with a 22re engine, about at 200k miles now.

I was driving the other day, and randomly the engine died as I was driving (I first noticed the ride become very smooth as the engine wasn't running anymore). All the lights on my dashboard came on at the same time the engine died. I pulled off to the side, with all my cars electronics working and thankfully the brakes.

I then turned the engine off, and when I would try to turn it on, I could get the engine to keep turning as long as I had the key turned but I couldn't get it to catch and I was forced to get it towed.

After a 100 dollar diagnostic, they are telling me it's the timing chain and to get to it they basically have to remove the entire engine. The cheapest option (replacing the timing chain and the labor) was 2,400$. So that's upsetting.

I'm unfortunately not knowledgable at all on this subject right now, so I'm turning to you guys to make sure the information and prices the shop is telling me are legit.

Thank you for any info or advice you can give! If you need more information on the truck, please ask!
Old 01-10-2016, 03:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
An outright untruth!

It might be something as simple as a loose or broken wire. If it would be a timing chain, the job isn't difficult or complex, but it would cost you quite a bit to have it done. The engine would not have to be removed from the vehicle. If the timing chain had broken, you would have heard some loud and expensive noises from the engine.... http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml See the caution. If the chain breaks, the camshaft stops turning. Open valves stay open. Pistons keep reciprocating. Piston approaching top of stroke and an open valve there...not good.

If you can't do the troubleshooting yourself, somebody here will walk you or whomever you can get to help you. If an engine just stops running with no warning, its usually an ignition problem. If you get s few sputters it could be fuel or ignition. Good luck to you. I have an '89 2WD 22re pickup. I replaced the timing stuff myself at 144,000 miles. At 200,000 miles it is most likely that the timing chain had been replaced at least once.

Last edited by JJ'89; 01-10-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
They are trying to rob you. Those guys are crooks. To see if it is the timing chain, remove the valve cover and see if it is loose or will come out. If it is broken, you should be able to see it quickly. Last truck I did some trouble shooting on, I was able to lift the chain right out. It was broken. If the top sprocket is bare, the chain is at the bottom and is broken.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These guys are right, thats WAY too much for chain replacement.
like mentioned its easy to check
Old 01-13-2016, 04:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by upnext
Hey everyone,

I have an '89 4Runner with a 22re engine, about at 200k miles now.

I was driving the other day, and randomly the engine died as I was driving (I first noticed the ride become very smooth as the engine wasn't running anymore). All the lights on my dashboard came on at the same time the engine died. I pulled off to the side, with all my cars electronics working and thankfully the brakes.

I then turned the engine off, and when I would try to turn it on, I could get the engine to keep turning as long as I had the key turned but I couldn't get it to catch and I was forced to get it towed.

After a 100 dollar diagnostic, they are telling me it's the timing chain and to get to it they basically have to remove the entire engine. The cheapest option (replacing the timing chain and the labor) was 2,400$. So that's upsetting.

I'm unfortunately not knowledgable at all on this subject right now, so I'm turning to you guys to make sure the information and prices the shop is telling me are legit.

Thank you for any info or advice you can give! If you need more information on the truck, please ask!
The timing chain job is kind of a package repair, in that it includes a new front cover for the engine, and water pump too. When i priced it last year, the Toyota DEALER quoted $1900 for the 14 hour job.

When i posted that price here, a half dozen dudes offered to come do it for me for less. So, maybe buy a plane ticket and a nice hotel room and steak dinner for someone willing to really troubleshoot it.

Something you can do now: find the FSM online for free and just read through the steps of the repair job. Know what they're trying to sell you, check if your BS alarm goes off.

It does sound like a second opinion is justified. Good luck.

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 01-13-2016 at 04:49 PM.