86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing chain and escaping coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing chain and escaping coolant

Hi everyone, thought I would start a new thread and see if you've got some tips for me. I have an '87 4Runner and recently would lose all my water into the engine... chocolate milk, white smoke and all.

In doing a compression test found out that the head is sound. Took off the rocker cover and noticed that the timing chain is cutting into the aluminum heavy on the driver's side. Thinking that it has cut a hole big enough for water to escape from the pump into the oil.

I've removed everything down to the timing chain cover and cylinder head and I'm hoping that I can remove the timing cover without removing the head. We removed all the bolts from the cover and dropped the pan and have only the distributor, which I'll get to tomorrow night. Is this possible or do I need to remove the head? Will I tear up the head gasket doing this?

Let me know your thoughts... can we get the cover off without removing the head? Do you think the chain has cut a hole in the aluminum like we suspect or is there something else we should look into?

I've hopped on a few threads and received some great feedback and wanted to ensure I'm not missing out on other tips if they are out there.

Thanks all!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Woot, first post! lol... Been a long time since I got one of those in, geesh,lol..

Anyway, I responded on my thread, which you read, so I'll just drag it over here and keep thinking about it. All in all, though... YOU CAN do this, but you MUST be careful. Read Toyospearo's write up on it and I'll try to find the ones that I'd seen before on here, months ago.

I"m a lil curious.....did you do a template for the bolt pattern? They are like 40%, at least, different lengths. I figure you did that, but just in case. I think I'm mixing you up with another where the guy said there were 3-4 washers on some, etc. IF that IS you.... get to a yard, bro, and pull a cover and slap em right into a template. OH, and don't forget that sealant on the bolt that goes under your timing mark, through the Oil Pump, k???????? lol... Yeah, I know, I should know....but at least I can say it wasn't me, right? lol.

L8r, best wishes, Bjork,

Mark

PS> For any who don't know... it's pronounced (B-York), ......right, Bjork? Geeesh, I hope so, .....otherwise, sorry, hehe.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-26-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:48 PM

I thinking mabye the timming chain did ware a hole to were coolent is being drained into the oil. Seen it happen a 1000 times. I would catch it now before something worse happens like bearings and seals go! hope that helps a bit.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Its possible to remove the timing cover to replace the timing with out removing the head. there is a bolt that goes into the timing cover that`s under the valve cover. most likely the timing chain guides have broken and allowed the chain to wear through the timing cover. You will need a timing chain kit and a timing chain cover. Its also a good idea to replace the water pump, and also inspect the oil pump and replace if needed while you have things a part.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 PM

YEP, the 'hidden bolt', Myyota speaks of... don't forget it! lol. PS, you can get the whole kit from engnbldr.com for REALLY reasonable, including an OEM oil pump and water pump, if I remember right. Anyway, for the price, WITH THE COVER? Hmmmm, lol. Couldn't hurt to call him, eh?

http://engnbldr.com/toyota_ala_carte.htm

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-26-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 PM

Don't forget, as well, if you find that your guides are busted, you'll need to FULLY clean out the pan.....there WILL be pieces in there of the guides.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:18 PM

Thanks everyone, I'll have a better idea of what I'm looking at tomorrow night and will post some pics.

Chef, yeah we did keep track of where the bolts go thank goodness.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:05 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
when i did mine, i was essentially in the same boat. timing chain guide failure. i did not have to replace my head gasket but i did. i did not want to be that deep into the motor again......and with alot of egging-on i pulled the head......i'm very glad i did....it's a much more involved job but you will be glad you did.

if you are just doing the timing cover though, the area under the head where the "hidden bolt" is can be a trouble spot in getting it re-assembled......it can be done as has been proven over and over and like i said , TOYOSPEARO has done quite a few as well as other members. the trouble spot is sliding the timing cover on without snagging the head gasket and crunching it.

post up pics...we LOVE pics
Old 10-27-2010, 04:00 AM

I replaced mine with out removing the head. The trick is lower or remove the oil pan. I removed the whole oil pan to replace the gasket and clean out the pan and pump line. When you remove the pan you have a lot of room to move around. I didn't remove it at first and did like 92 toy said. "snagging the gasket with the timing cover" O ya make sure you put gasket maker on the top of the timing cover were it meets the head gasket.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:10 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
i heard of using a a cut aluminum can to "shoe-horn" the timing cover in along the head gasket".....sounds like a plan....never did it though so i can't say
Old 10-27-2010, 12:54 PM

are you the guy that beats me to the salvage yards in salt lake and steals all the good toyota parts?? lol
Old 10-27-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DROPT
are you the guy that beats me to the salvage yards in salt lake and steals all the good toyota parts?? lol
It must be one of you guys. Those salvage yards in the Salt Lake valley SUCK when it comes to Yotas. The salvage places down south by Richfield are much better and they let you wander around in there all day.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:08 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by DROPT
I know I am one of those guys up here, good luck Jerry finding anything good hahaha.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:28 PM

Well I am definitely not the guy diving the yards here in SLC... at least not yet. Sorry everyone, no pics yet. We didn't get to it last night, been too crazy, but I should have some pics soon.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:23 PM

So I now have some answers and need some more as to what direction to go. My TC cover is off and we found the deep cuts along the driver side where the coolant was escaping. We also saw the chain is very loose because the tensioner on the driver side is toast. The head gasket also broke off while removing the TC cover, doh!

How difficult is it to get the TC put back on correctly once I take it apart? I fear putting it all back together and finding out I did it wrong when we go to start the truck... thoughts?

Below are some pics of the carnage

Last edited by Skibjork; 10-29-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
try a different hosting service like photobucket.com or even the YT gallery and use the [IMG]your pic[/IMG] code in your posts.
The pic links you posted are to thumbnails that are literally the size of a thumbnail...
Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 PM

Just go to this site and you should have NO probs, Bjork! ....

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml

Here's another........(good one, too!)

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timingchain/

You'll be fine, Bjork, just DON'T RUSH IT! Read over everything twice, each step... it's EASY to miss things... Just ask my FORMER MACHINIST! lol...

L8r,

Mark
Old 10-28-2010, 11:13 PM

i just did this like 3 times in a week due to mistakes haha.

but i feel its a simple job now. i made it a lot harder than it should have been.
I recommend removing the oil pump before you put the timing cover back on, it gives the cover a little more room to move around and wont crush that new head gasket either.
oh and when you put the timing cover back on, tighten the bolts in a sequence, like you do when putting on a wheel or something. just so you get a good seal.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:37 AM

OK, so the pictures are finally better above, it only took me forever to get it right! I was using the thumbnails and not the entire image, that's why they looked so small. By the way I use Google's Picasa Web Albums for these things.

Anyway, thanks guys for the tips... I'm toying with the idea of getting a new engine to drop in and start fresh with. What do you think? I know it's not as fun as fixing what I've got, but might be a good move for the future. 0 miles sounds fun

This brings up another point that probably deserves its own thread, but I've got two little girls, both still in car seats and the older girl will be in a booster seat soon and I've heard that to be in the booster seat they need a shoulder strap. Obviously I don't want to get rid of my 4Runner... so is there a way to modify/add something to suffice a booster seat?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:45 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Skibjork
OK, so the pictures are finally better above, it only took me forever to get it right! I was using the thumbnails and not the entire image, that's why they looked so small. By the way I use Google's Picasa Web Albums for these things.

Anyway, thanks guys for the tips... I'm toying with the idea of getting a new engine to drop in and start fresh with. What do you think? I know it's not as fun as fixing what I've got, but might be a good move for the future. 0 miles sounds fun

This brings up another point that probably deserves its own thread, but I've got two little girls, both still in car seats and the older girl will be in a booster seat soon and I've heard that to be in the booster seat they need a shoulder strap. Obviously I don't want to get rid of my 4Runner... so is there a way to modify/add something to suffice a booster seat?
When I got my 82 I knew the timing chain was almost gone but the compression was great in all cylinders. I told myself if this timing chain r and r doesnt go well and a catastrophe happens, headgasket tear, broke bolt etc. I am going to yank the whole motor out and put a new one in. I have a motor built sitting in the shop. Things went well with the timing job and I am driving it to this day.
I would say do what you can to fix it and see what happens. A timing job is pretty quick and that motor will probably go a lot longer.

Quick Reply: Timing chain and escaping coolant