Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Timing!?!?!

Old 12-07-2009, 03:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Timing!?!?!

ok so i was going to check my timing again last night...so i hooked up the light..killed the garage lights..unhooked the vacuum lines and started the truck and....wtf where is the timing mark!?!?!?!?!?....it doesnt show up AT ALL..NONE..no matter where i put the distributor....i can fully advance it..nothing..fully retard it...still nothing...WHERES IT AT!?!?!?

when i had my VC off a couple nights ago i noticed that my timing chain was a tad bit more loose than what i think it should be.......could it have jumped a tooth?!?!?!?...it's a brand new timing chain..only has about 3500 or 4000 miles on it
Old 12-07-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
U got the light with a dial on the back? if so....is it set to 0? Happened to me before, and I was dumb and didnt notice the dial was at 50* btdc....lol
Old 12-07-2009, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
ok so i was going to check my timing again last night...so i hooked up the light..killed the garage lights..unhooked the vacuum lines and started the truck and....wtf where is the timing mark!?!?!?!?!?....it doesnt show up AT ALL..NONE..no matter where i put the distributor....i can fully advance it..nothing..fully retard it...still nothing...WHERES IT AT!?!?!?

when i had my VC off a couple nights ago i noticed that my timing chain was a tad bit more loose than what i think it should be.......could it have jumped a tooth?!?!?!?...it's a brand new timing chain..only has about 3500 or 4000 miles on it
Find it on the pulley and mark it with a paint marker, makes it easier to see.
Did you replace the chain tensioner when you did the chain?
Pressure could be bleeding off from it.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
Gentlemen,

Ignition timing has nothing to do with cam timing. Your cam timing could be off 1 tooth and your ignition timing could be right on. Or your ignition timing could be off and your cam timing right on.

Did yor pull the right vacuum line off the disty and plug it before you checked the timing?

gNARLs.
I took it as he just couldn't see the timing mark........how does the truck run?
Old 12-07-2009, 05:27 PM

Gentlemen,

Ignition timing has nothing to do with cam timing. Your cam timing could be off 1 tooth and your ignition timing could be right on. Or your ignition timing could be off and your cam timing right on.

Did yor pull the right vacuum line off the disty and plug it before you checked the timing?

gNARLs.
Sorry Wrong answer
Ignition timing is directly related to crankshaft position hence the term "before top dead center"(piston rising on the compression stroke)
since the distributor is driven by the camshaft, If cam shaft to crank shaft relation ship changes(ie cam chain jumps a tooth)
then ignition timing will also change

in answer to your question, if you cant see the mark the truck probably wouldn't run, my guess is, and I have done this myself before, make sure you are on number one plug wire and if it has an advance feature, 0 it
Old 12-07-2009, 06:52 PM
BT

Gentlemen,

gNARLs.
I never thought of this before, but it makes sense. The cam just times the opening and closing of the valves, right? So a mis-timed cam could cost a lot of power, but the ignition would still be firing when it's supposed to in relation to crank position.

But this is a whole new thought to me, so maybe I'm way off.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:06 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by wlabrum
Sorry Wrong answer
Ignition timing is directly related to crankshaft position hence the term "before top dead center"(piston rising on the compression stroke)
since the distributor is driven by the camshaft, If cam shaft to crank shaft relation ship changes(ie cam chain jumps a tooth)
then ignition timing will also change

in answer to your question, if you cant see the mark the truck probably wouldn't run, my guess is, and I have done this myself before, make sure you are on number one plug wire and if it has an advance feature, 0 it

he is correct, if the cam jumps time so does the distributor since the distributor drive gear is attached to the cam. advance the cam by 3 degrees, ignition timing will advance 3 degrees.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:25 PM

everything on the motor has been replaced except for the intake and exhaust and pistons..

it runs like SH@! plain and simple..i didnt get around to checking to see if the cam had jumped a tooth..will do it tomorrow (it's kinda chilly LOL)..

and yes i removed the lines and plugged them..lol..

no dial on this old light LOL..i bad a gooood one..but i guess somebody thought they needed it more than me
Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 PM

I remember my brother telling me that is harmonic balancer went and he couldn't time the engine. Not even sure it is related or exactly what it is but thought I would toss it out there.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you hook up to the correct spark plug wire?
Sorry, had to ask.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:11 AM

Gentlemen,

Ignition timing has nothing to do with cam timing. Your cam timing could be off 1 tooth and your ignition timing could be right on.
gNARLs.
Incorrect Correct Statement

Or your ignition timing could be off and your cam timing right on.
gNARLs.
correct statement

If the t-chain jumps one tooth on the cam sprocket, the cam timing will off by about 9 degrees, not 3 degrees.

gNARLS.
The 3 degrees I mentioned was only an example which can easily be achieved running the LCE cam gear. And for those who believe your first statement, and did not re-adjust ignition timing after adjusting the cam timing.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:29 AM

you said if the cam timing jumps (retards 9 degrees) that your ignition timing can still be on. Tell me why the distributor does not retard as well since it is attached to the cam.

the only way I can think that if the cam timing is off a tooth and the distributor (ignition timing) can still be on is if the cam was installed 1 tooth off and then the distributor was installed afterwards and timed correctly. But if the cam jumps while the engine is running I see no way that the ignition timing can not be off, since it is basically attached to the cam.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 12-08-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:46 PM

so i dont think my timing chain should be as loose as it is...i dont remember it being that loose before

on the exhaust side of the cam sprocket..i can move the timing chain about 3/4".....

but on the top i can move it about 1/4"..and on the intake side i can't hardly move it at all LOL.

everything is in time so it hasn't jumped a tooth...

yes i'm sure i got the light on the right plug wire Abe..lmao

i roughed up the timing mark on the crank pulley (just to make it bare metal again)..and im about to check the timing again to see what i can get...
Old 12-08-2009, 01:22 PM

Did you replace the chain tensioner when you did the chain?
Old 12-08-2009, 03:40 PM

yep...same time as the rebuild..about 3500 miles ago or so
Old 12-08-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
yep...same time as the rebuild..about 3500 miles ago or so
OEM or aftermarket?

Seems to me the tensioner is the only thing that could make the chain loose.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:03 PM

well i got it from engnbldr?..i guess aftermarket lol..it'd be like $300 from the dealer..eff that lmao

im gonna throw some marker on the timing mark and see if i can see it...maybe i just can't see it lol
Old 12-08-2009, 04:40 PM

stick your head a little closer to the balancer, make sure the engine is running.

have you tried checking it from the bottom? Maybe your timing light is broke?
Old 12-08-2009, 04:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is the tensioner operated by oil pressure? That's what i was led to believe. If the tensioner is operated by oil pressure then it would have little or no pressure at startup. Only after the oil pump spins and the system is pressurized will the slack be taken up right? Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty darn sure that's how it works.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
Is the tensioner operated by oil pressure? That's what i was led to believe. If the tensioner is operated by oil pressure then it would have little or no pressure at startup. Only after the oil pump spins and the system is pressurized will the slack be taken up right? Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty darn sure that's how it works.
If it is working properly it will hold the pressure....don't know how long but 3 days after my chain broke the tensioner was still doing it's job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing!?!?!