Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Throttle body and intake filled with gasoline.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle body and intake filled with gasoline.

Any ideas on how to stop this? So it's just a flooded engine. Jesus. Why is it doing this? I removed the intake and opened up the throttle and gasoline started rushing out. I look inside and there is a steady drip of gas going in the manifold from the top. Any help?
Old 11-05-2013, 08:03 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
not sure how that is possible, the fuel pump should be shut off?? but it sounds like it's coming in from the cold start injector, which is located at the top center of the plenum... on a 22re, anyway, not sure what you have.

if gas flooded a cylinder, it could hydrolock the motor... maybe pull the plugs, and crank the motor over with a socket on a rachet, from the front pulley bolt.

I wouldn't try turning it over with the key, you don't want a spark around open gas coming out of a cylinder.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:19 PM

I have a 3VZE. It is coming from there very top of the manifold from a little tube. And just drips but it's more than normal. I took out one spark plug and automatically smelt gas. I'm not sure if I sound like a complete idiot or not. But, I opened the throttle and it poured out. Tons of it.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:24 PM

Yeah, it is the cold start injector. Does this mean a bad gasket? :/
Old 11-06-2013, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, this means your cold start injector is toast. It's leaking profusely when it's not supposed to be at all. You're probably getting terrible fuel mileage and performance, since it never stops dripping/spraying.

You'll need to either get a new one or try your luck with a junkyard. You'll need to replace the gasket too, but that doesn't cause leaks.

Be very careful. I would not start the engine until it's fixed. If you get some backfire, you could blow every vacuum hose and the air intake off if that fuel ignites.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:08 PM

I removed the wiring connection to it, clean it out with some q-tips and water, dried it out, plugged it, drove around a bit and left it to sit over night. Came back and it started up in just a second. About to spend hundreds when it was just that. I'll keep a close eye though before I think it's safe to drive like a crazy person again. Thank you for the help and info!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might have been a weak electrical signal or some sort, or possibly buildup keeping the nozzle open.

If you do end up pulling it out again, I submerged the nozzle end of mine in a narrow glass of gasoline overnight. Gasoline is an excellent cleaning agent and there was a layer of black soot at the bottom of the glass in the morning that the gas had cleaned off. The rest scrubbed off real easy.