Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

They stole my truck, then we found it...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They stole my truck, then we found it...

My truck: 1988 Toyota 4runner. Rusty, midwest truck in the Pac NW now.

Thursday night, my truck was stolen from outside my GF and I's apartment. Friday morning, after filing out a stolen vehicle report and talking with the Seattle Police officer who responded, we learned that vehicles that are stolen are often found nearby and in short time (people doing drugs, using for illicit transport or crime, theft of parts, etc...) My girlfriend, in her foot patrol of the neighborhood, found the truck, literally two blocks away. After the officer arrived to evaluate it, she took it home, it exactly the condition she found it, and this is what the damage was...

-aftermarket oil pressure gauge ripped from dash
-Pioneer stereo ripped from dash but left in truck (faceplate and all) - they took the iPod interface module and my ipod, but they trashed an cable that is necessary for either item to work, so now we are both screwed-practically every metric socket and box-wrench I own were in a toolbox in the back (I just replaced the steering gearbox and hadn't taken the tools out yet)
-Hi-lift jack
-other tools (drifts, hammers, tie rod/bj seperator, screwdrivers, vice-grips, etc...)

Yes it was locked, yes I should have made sure tools were removed or out of sight. It's such an invasion. I won't go into how it makes me feel or anything. I want to focus on making sure it remains a safe reliable vehicle (for what it is.)

I need to replace the following...
-hi-lift jack
-jumper cables
-milkcrate that had a spare quart of oil, grease, gearoil, rags, breaker bar for lug nuts, a sparse assortment of wrenches, antifreeze, wiper fluid, blanket, etc... Just a safety net of sorts for while driving.

What concerns me is this. After jimmying the lock and gaining access, I wondered how they started the truck (no wires dangling or signs of damage on the ignition switch.) I tried insert a random key (bike lock key)into the ignition, and sure as heck it turned on. Short of using a club (which I'm sure a good car thief could remove), do I need to replace the ignition/door locks? I've never had to deal with this crap before, so it is all over my head, and a bit overwhelmed.

Also, what have other 1st gen 4runner people done to secure/hide the rear cargo area? Has anyone made a soft cover, or would a hard cover be better?

Sorry for the ramble. I'm a little scared and nervous and pissed and worried and determined and unsure at the moment. I will continue to scour the board for answers and ideas, but I had to start somewhere...

Thanks all,

-chris in seattle

Last edited by dropzone; 12-03-2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: language
Old 12-03-2011, 09:13 AM

Not too sure what to do about your ignition but I would look in to doing a fuel pump cut off switch. Basically you wire a switch to the power for your fuel pump. You hide the switch in a hidden spot like under a seat, dash, glove box but anyways when you plan on leaving your vehicle for a while just turn the switch off. No gas, no go. Fuel pump switches are cheap and you can even have more than one if you really want.

Is your insurance gonna help you out on the stuff that was taken?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bummer for sure. I bet your tools start showing up on CL or in pawn shops real quick.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:46 AM

Chris, I feel for you, sorry. People suck. I live in Greenwood and have to deal with the same stuff. I've owned 6 convertibles in the past and an 85 runner.
Heres what I've done:

- Never keep ANYTHING inside
- Mount stereo with removable face plate in the glove box and make sure it locks
- No subs, amps, etc.
- Tint windows
- Never lock it to avoid lock damage
- Taped little printed (size of credit card) signs in windows next to door pulls
"NOTHING inside, NO stereo"
- Mount army ammo box and chain it to the roll cage, then lock with another master lock (for valueables like my wallet, watch, etc when i go surf).
- Always use the club
- Mount a quick battery kill switch on the battery
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CH8Q8gIwAQ
- Then run a chain or steel cable b/t hood latch hoop and frame so they can't pop the hood to check on the battery.
- sometimes just yank the lead off the coil

The fuel pump switch idea is a good one too.... yanking fuses works too.

I've parked in some bad places and never really had issues that i know of, other then some jackass leaving the doors open after rifling through it and the dom light draining the battery one time so since then i've yanked doom light bulbs and installed stick on/push button led lights.

Hope this helps a little.

Btw, I could open and start my 85 with ANY key that fit and even the small blade of my swiss army knife, just fyi.
Also, you may want to look into quick disco removable steering wheels/hubs. All over ebay for about $100.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 12-04-2011 at 05:23 AM. Reason: langauge
Old 12-03-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alarm and a Dan Wesson 1911 the best peace of mind there is
Old 12-03-2011, 09:57 AM

Alarms in the city don't work much but I forgot to mention, heres mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd38Efl_d80
Old 12-03-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by drmix
... I would look in to doing a fuel pump cut off switch... Is your insurance gonna help you out on the stuff that was taken?
Interesting thought, so long as I could keep things simple enough for the girl to understand for when she uses it. And insurance was liability only, policy doesn't appear to cover anything. Gonna double check when I call to clear the report with them though. Good call.

Originally Posted by rworegon
I bet your tools start showing up on CL or in pawn shops real quick.
I know, right? I've been scouring CL since I got home last night. Hi-lifts aren't cheap, and even though cheap sockets/wrenches are out there, nice Craftsman/Allen/Thorsen stuff is hard to beat...

Originally Posted by michalik_piotr
Heres what I've done:
- Never keep ANYTHING inside
- Always use the club
Btw, I could open and start my 85 with ANY key that fit and even the small blade of my swiss army knife, just fyi.
Many good ideas. I usually try not to leave anything it, but now I'm thinking the club isn't a bad idea either. And I feel there are many people on here who can jam random metallic objects into their ignition switch and start their trucks. It's like a mod

Originally Posted by Black_1985_SR5
Alarm and a Dan Wesson 1911 the best peace of mind there is
Oddly enough, the girl and I both enough shooting. Hmm...

FWIW, I just got back from the craft store with a huge sheet of marine vinyl and some grommets to make a cover for the cargo area. Not really gonna stop anyone who REALLY wants anything in the truck, but at least it's gonna hide the spare and a replacement jack when I can find one.

I'm double check locks and stuff, and look into repairing/replacing the lock on my glove box. Definitely a club or huge chain/lock in my future.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:27 AM

Clubs dont work. All they do is cut the steering wheel and take it off
Old 12-03-2011, 10:49 AM

If you get an alarm, get a 30 second delay and position it where it cause the most discomfort to the thug about to drive off. Maybe behind the seat pointed towards the headrest.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by drmix
Clubs dont work. All they do is cut the steering wheel and take it off
They add extra time 2 load n pump a 12guage on the poor fool
Old 12-03-2011, 12:19 PM

yeah, i keep my dogs in mine whenever possible.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:41 PM

Those are gorgeous dogs!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
Those are gorgeous dogs!
thnk you very much.. Koah is the Akita mix, and Kaizer Soze is the Pitbull.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:43 PM

Guns are grt but unfortunately Seattle is way too liberal and gives the criminals way too much freedom and too many rights. Sometimes I wish it was more like the south...

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/artic...ads-884675.php

Be prepared to do at least some time if you do kill someone and don't forget "I saw him reaching for a gun" officer.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 88 truck in texas had one seat spring that you, or anyone driving it, couldn't avoid sitting on. I went to radio shack, bought one of those cheap, arm/disarm, keypads, hooked that up to a 1 farad capacitor, (boomer cap), a little $10 70 decibel alarm behind the seat,and wired it in, to end the circuit in the seat spring. I also put in a bypass for the alarm pad, so if it was yanked, (and you durn near had to be sitting on that spring to yank it out, it armed and went off. Kazappo!! It hurts like a mofo. Just be careful though, as said truck thief "thugs" tend to get shocked into unconsciousness. Good time to get the cops, or your other "protection"
Old 12-03-2011, 03:38 PM

i bought a jobox welders box. it's 30x16x12". i use it to store my tools look into one and mount it to the bed or frame , some ppl need to beat down for stealing. if they wanted something they just need to ask .
Old 12-03-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by yotarover
i bought a jobox welders box to store my tools
I spent a decent amount of time looking at heavy duty boxes similar to this. The ammo boxes as stated earlier in this thread are also a good idea. Truth of it is, if someone wanted to get into my truck, they would. Preventing them from taking my stuff, or at least delaying that, would be good, but I would also hate for them to be so frustrated about not being able to get into that one very secure box that they take the vehicle, far away from where I could find it, and trash it in their efforts to get my stashed items. . just a crappy situation either way.

I've been scouring the forum for ideas on rear cargo area covers for the 1st gen and I haven't come up with anything. I've tried various combinations of the words: cargo, storage, cover, sun cover, tonneau, soft, shield.

Any other suggestions?

-Chris

Last edited by dropzone; 12-03-2011 at 06:02 PM. Reason: langauge
Old 12-03-2011, 07:46 PM

make it where your wheels,dif,case and all lockup. only way to move it then is to cut the drivelines or use a rollback and winch it up .

make a latch on the doors where they lock from the bottom of the cab straight up .

make your own bed cover get some decenlty thick steel, drill the holes and put locks all over it where you have to inlock all of them to get the cover off.

make bolt on window guards that quick attatch from the inside so you can lockup when your not in the truck. get back in throw'em behind the seat or in the bed.

Last edited by yotarover; 12-03-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:29 PM

That sucks dude
Old 12-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
this is one of the anti theft devices I use..works on non airbag equiped trucks..
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
I have been considering one of the Grant Removeable Steering wheel systems for a few years. TrekkerPaul gave me a Grant steering wheel out of truck he parted out so thought it was a good excuse to order one.
Cheapest place I found was from Jegs. Ordered on Friday, got here today(tuesday) awesome service IMO. About $50 lower than Auto Zone and $90 cheaper than Grant's List price of $215

Install time is probably 20-30 minutes or so.
Put the Grant Removeable steering wheel security thing in today:

Put the key in, a slight turn to the left and pop off the steering wheel:

Put the Red 'can't drive this one' warning in:

I think this will be a great way to help me keep my truck around...
turn the wheels to the side and makes is a PITA for them to tow.

edit: as far as the club: take about 10-15 seconds to defeat..won't say how but it is very easy...

Last edited by dropzone; 12-03-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Quick Reply: They stole my truck, then we found it...