Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Temperature Switch??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temperature Switch??

How do I replace the temperature switch. I dropped my truck off at an import shop because it kept stalling out on me. They ran a diagnosis and said the temperature switch is failing. They mentioned something being messed up with the throttle position as well, but I'm waiting to hear more info from them on that.

Either way, they wanted $272 for parts, labor, and diagnosing. I don't think so buddy...
So I'm going to order this switch online or from an auto store... but how do I replace it? Where does it go?

Thanks in advanced...
Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 AM

Well, since you didn't tell us what motor you have, I don't know. I think on the 22R-E, the temp switch is up by the thermostat, right in front of it. Real easy to replace, as long as the motor is cold.

My guess is that the TPS is having more to do with your running problem than the temp sender, or at least half the problem. It might be out of adjustment, or it might be bad. They should be able to tell you that much.

Do you have a manual yet? Need to get one. You can download one from a link on here somewhere. It's the best thing to ask questions like this to.

Good luck!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 AM

It's the 22R-E. I have the FSM from the link below:
http://myweb.dal.ca/is353832/93fsm/index.html

They called back and said that whoever owned the truck before me, put two springs on the throttle? He mentioned that the throttle body plate was not closing all the way and that's why it's stalling. I explained to him that I just cleaned it out before I gave the truck to them. He said I need to put it back to normal, but I don't know what the hell normal is. I bought this truck about 2 months ago and after it driving fine for 2 weeks, it has been nothing but problems since. I need to sell the damn thing, but I need to figure out what the problem is first!

I have no idea how to adjust the TPS. I've read a bunch of threads on it before I posted this, but that is out of my realm.
I told them I would pick up the truck tonight, pay the $70 for their diagnostics, and replace the temp sensor myself. I don't know what to do about this throttle position thing though...
Old 04-19-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Did they say you need a new TPS or that it needed adjusting? I'm having an issue, but it's only initially when going into open loop(when the Sensors all kick in). My o2 was causing the 'wanting to stall' issue for me. .....But you have a dual O2 system, right?(Post 87 I think?) Just curious, when does it run like crap? All the time? Just when Cold? After warm up only?

PS> Why you wanna get rid of it? Once you figure this out, as long as it's otherwise sound, ...IT'LL GROW ON YA! ....
Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 AM

Because it's a money pit. Bought the truck for $1,700... ran good for 2 weeks.
Then I needed to buy:
Radiator, water pump, all 3 belts, tune-up, fuel filter, air filter, cleaned the throttle body, replaced the ECU (because I thought the original was bad), and it needs a front piece of the parking brake.

The truck fires up and idles fine for a while (45 minutes +), but once I start driving, it stalls out after about 10 minutes. Once it stalls out, it takes 10-15 minutes before it will restart.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 AM

I just talked to them again (3rd time today!) and he said the temp sensor was reading really out of whack. That was the only bad reading he was getting. He said don't both doing anything with the throttle body or the TPS until I replace that temp sensor. He thinks that might be the reason it's stalling out too.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:04 AM

That is 20$ at Napa, Kovz! All the stuff you're mentioning isn't a huge cost, thus far...and you got a great deal. Besides, you know that the next one you buys, 'WHO KNOWS what's up with that one', right? Anyway, if you are set on selling it, and you of course need to fix it, just get that temp switch. You can order it from Toyota of Carson for about 100$, or just go after market and get a Napa unit for 20(think I paid 18). It's easy to replace yourself, and it's the sensor to the right(out of the two below the thermostat, facing the grill). You can figure this stuff out with a lil searching and a Multimeter(pretty easy to use), for about 40$. Try just changing that sensor, see what it does, and if the ECU can't adjust it on it's own, you might just need a TPS adjustment. There is a GREAT link on this site for that.

PS> I used a flare wrench for that sensor and it was a 5 minute fix. JUST DON'T FORGET THE WASHER! lol Good Luck!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:43 AM

Lol, thanks man. I'm not set on selling it... just extremely frustrated right now. If I can get it running good, I'll probably keep it and clean her up like I originally intended. I am going to pick up the truck from the shop tonight or tomorrow and I will get that temp sensor replaced. I hope that solves my problem!
Old 04-20-2010, 06:50 AM

I know EXACTLY what you mean on the "Frustrating" end. However, that's how most 'project' lovers like it...."SOMETHING TO FIGURE OUT AND DIY AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE". I'm learning, FAST, and I can't wait to get to a point where it's TIGHT(Never perfect.....there's ALWAYS gonna be something,eh?lolol)

Anyway, let me know what happens, k?
Old 04-20-2010, 07:02 AM

Will do. I think I'm picking it up tonight if I can make it there after work before they close.
My main frustration is that I didn't want this to be a project truck, lol... I already have one of those... and my gf's 2 vehicles that I help her modify. I just wanted a reliable winter driver and hauler. Hopefully this fixes the problem and I can enjoy it for a while with all the new parts I've put into it!
Old 04-21-2010, 07:24 AM

Well I picked up the truck last night from the Import Export auto shop. When I started it up, it was running really rough. It even stalled out when I went to take off. So I fired her back up and drove about 2 miles down the road to the auto parts store to order the coolant temperature sensor (gotta wait 3-5 days for it to come in). Well when I left the auto parts store, I get in my truck and went to start it up again... crank, crank, crank, no start.
I jumpered the pins in the diagnostic box and got codes 22 and 51 on my CEL.
After waiting 15 minutes for the engine to cool off, I tried again and it started right up. Drove another 2 miles home and parked it in the driveway. Went to start it up again after that and same thing... no start.

Does this sound like the only issue I have here is the temp sensor, or could it be something else???
Old 04-21-2010, 07:59 AM

It could be just the temp sensor, if it is really screwed up. The computer uses the temp. to control fuel delivery, etc., especially at start up. Too bad you have to wait for the part. I hope that's all it is.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:33 AM

I really hope that's all it is too. They said it was reading really out of whack...

I will update once the part comes in.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:30 PM

They said 'what?' was reading out of whack? The Coolant Temp. Switch? Or just the motor in general?

I HATE to be suspicious of shops.....I want to believe the best in people, ...but you might just want to check the TPS adjusting screws and see if they're 'turned' it at all. It would be clean on a spot where it's been 'adjusted', know what I mean? Seems strange that it's running, seemingly, MUCH WORSE, after you get it back, but hey, it happens.

You really need to get a Multi-Meter on this thing, bro. It's a worth while investment.

The 'wont restart after driving a while' thing?....need to really search on here and every other site you can find to get an answer on that. Could very well be the Cool. temp. sw., after all, you said you threw a code for that, eh? But, that sensor being out and throw all kinds of things out of whack.

I also wanted to ask, ....."replaced my ECU" and it made no difference? Where'd you get it? They CAN go out, my friends just did, and it was reading like 9v and it's never supposed to be over 5...it was sending all kinds of bad signals and throwing the thing for a loop. He actually got a new one(YOU DON'T WANNA KNOW), and 'purrrrrrrrrrrr'. Do the resistance test on that thing, too. Pick up that tester when you get the sensor...you can use it ALL OVAAAAAA, ya knows? lol
Old 04-21-2010, 10:33 PM

One time, 66 Chevelle was doing that(Stalling and not wanting to run after turning off), ....it stalled in an intersection and when I opened the hood the Positive wire to the battery was SO HOT it melted the shrink right off and was smoking on the header. YOU NEVER know what it could be, with any car. Just keep searching and testing and you'll have a sweet ride for a long time.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:15 AM

They said the temp. sensor was reading really out of whack, not the engine. I think the temp sensor is the problem though because it's probably telling the ECU that the truck is running really hot, when it's not at all... so it's shutting down and not letting it restart until it's cooled off.
I replaced the ECU with a used one from eBay. There is a rust hole in the passenger side wheel well, right in front of the ECU... and the stock one looked like it got wet and corroded a bit on the corner of the metal. The internal circuit board looked fine... but I didn't want to chance it. I got one from eBay for $80 hoping that was the problem... but it is still doing the same thing. So I'll put my stock one back in and sell the one I just bought.
The truck runs and drives fine, it just was running really poorly when I first started it in the shops parking lot.
I have a cheap multi-meter from harbor freight... and I've read that TPS page at least a dozen times and I have no idea what I'm doing. If this new temp sensor doesn't fix the problem, I will have a couple friends check it out who are certified mechanics. Maybe they can help me adjust the TPS if it needs to be.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:44 AM

I got the coolant temperature sensor in yesterday. I tried looking under the hood last night for about 20 minutes and gave up. I have no idea where this thing goes.
Can someone please give a detailed description, or post a picture of where it goes on the 22R-E engine?

Thanks in advance...
Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 AM

Here are a couple of pictures. The first one shows the general vicinity, but you can't see the sensors. They are under the sticker on the upper radiator hose in this picture.

The second one shows the actual sensors. I'm not sure which one it is, but I think they are different, so the connector will only fit one of them. (Yes, I have a small, slow coolant leak. One of the little things I still have to fix.)

I'm anxious to hear if this fixes it.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:48 AM

You sir, are the man!!!! I thought that was it last night! I started messing around with it but I wasn't sure, so I put everything back together. Thank you very much!
I'll update when I get the new sensor in!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:23 AM

I'm glad I could help. I really hope this takes care of it for you.

Quick Reply: Temperature Switch??