Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

TBA - Throttle body Differences

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
TBA - Throttle body Differences

This is sorta related to my other thread concerning my daughters 93 4runner idle issue. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...eaning-213387/

The issue at ahnd is I was able to for a very minor investment, I obtained the TBA from a 1992 4runner 3.0 V6. Fortune would have it that I located the complete rear tire carrier from a 1990 from a guy and while I was there I was able to get the TBA off a 1991 4runner 3.0 V6. Ifigured if I had the extra incase theone I take off of her's is not repairable the odds would be in my favor if I get one cleaned up it could eliminate other issues as well. Well as luck would have it, I got the 91 home after stopping and picking up a can of carb/TBA cleaner. I started to spray them down and then I noticed that these two TBA were different.

Here they are: 1991 on the left and 1992 on the right.

At first glance they appear to be the same but I noted a few subtle differences.

Looking down the "throat".

In this shot you can see the differences right away, One the TPS is mounted 180 degrees from the other. But the big givaway seems to be in that the 92 has a dashpot with a butterfly attachment on the butterfly shaft to impact the dash pot.

Here they are again each is its own picture here. 1991

There seem to be a few minor differences as far as ports but the extra one I noted on the base has a hose bib end that is closed off, effectively not used for anything. You can see it right at the base of the photo. With the exception of the dash pot and extended operating shaft that goes through the TBA to the TPS side of the TBA they appear to be the same.

My question now is does it really make any difference which TBA I use? Now that I do have both apparent "types", I feel I have a good chance of being able to replace the correct one on my daugthers truck. any suggestions on these and why they were different on the same motor?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The only problem I could conceive of is the TPS positioning and that throttle dampeners would be better for auto trannys.

On the TPS, you have to use one with the same connector that's on her vehicle. Now, considering they mount differently, one from one style of TB may not read right on the other style of TB. Not sure on that, but I'd confirm that possibly with a Toyota tech you trust or maybe DeathCougar could tell you. He's a superdupermod on here. Works for Nix99 used Toyota parts.

I forget all the in's and out's of exactly why the throttle dampener is good for the auto tranny, but I do remember that's an issue and worth checking into. If I have some time in the next day or two, I'll dig around for the info. I know I have it somewhere.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting idea about the automatic tranny. I do not remember what tranny was in the 91, but I do remember that the 92 came off an automatic. My daughter's is an auto so that may be the difference. Thanks and anything else you can come across is always welcome
Old 06-07-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you can run the tb with the tps facing 180* opposite, as long as the connectors match up.... I know cuz I have used the tb from a 91 on a 93, and the tb from the 91 had the tps facing 180* opposite from the 93.
You may need to adjust it after....but it will work.

However...if the tb from the 90 was for a 5 spd, it wont work on the auto tranny, due to no kickdown cable going to the tranny... u would have to mod the 91 tb, to fit the kickdown cable....

Last edited by Team420; 06-07-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:46 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, I forgot about that cable. Then, there's the CC cable, as well.

I'd always wondered if the TPS would work in the opposite direction. Long time ago when I'd rebuilt my 3vze, I'd considered turning the TPS around so the terminals would be easy to reach with the DVM. Since I couldn't confirm with anyone that it would really work, and since I had other troubles that would leave me wondering if the opposite postion was the problem, I left it in the standard position.

Anyway, good luck, amigo.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well, idk about swapping it from the stock position to 180* out.... just saying that the older models that had the tps connectors facing the drivers side (stock), will work in place of the original (connectors facing pass side) without turning it 180*..... but also as stated... you will prolly need to adjust it.... I havent tried swapping the original 180* to make it easier to get to the connectors... but Thook...you have inspired me to try it!

I'm moving this week and next, but once moved in and settle, Ima give it a shot, and see what happens!