Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Taking grille off/headlight replacement

Old 08-08-2009, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking grille off/headlight replacement

Took out the side lights, I got off all the top clips, and it seems like I have all the clips on the bottom either out or broken...

The grille will not budge, at least from the bottom. I have the replacement headlights, just can't get the old ones out.

What a pain.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Vanman
Took out the side lights, I got off all the top clips, and it seems like I have all the clips on the bottom either out or broken...

The grille will not budge, at least from the bottom. I have the replacement headlights, just can't get the old ones out.

What a pain.
I've never taken the grille off a 2nd gen before but there may be a screw securing it on.
On my '85 there was a bracket that extended from the bottom of the grille down to the cross member.

Pics would help a lot.

Fink
Old 08-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't have to remove my entire grill just to replace the bulbs

it's a tight fit with a screwdriver yeah, but it can be done without removing all the crapola

I finally just invested in some H4 conversion lights so much easier just to pull the bulbs out from behind

Old 08-08-2009, 02:10 PM

you have to take the bumper off too!!, Yeah its that stupid!! there is a part of the grill that the bumper holds to keep it from moving...you can always cut it off to make it easier, or get a new bumper like I did (even though now my winch is in the way!!
Old 08-08-2009, 02:16 PM

According to the owners manual, there are the clips on the along the top and the bottom. That is it. Doesn't really seem to be the case. Where do I get the "retrofit" H4? Do those just slide into place, like replacements are supposed to? Or is ther grille modifications to do?

Last edited by Vanman; 08-08-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

My 91 had a screw near the center of the grille on the bottom. It was lame, so it stayed out. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to the owners manual, there are the clips on the along the top and the bottom. That is it. Doesn't really seem to be the case. Where do I get the "retrofit" H4? Do those just slide into place, like replacements are supposed to? Or is ther grille modifications to do?

Search for H4 replacements on here, there is a big thread about it. They are on E-bay (cheaper) or you can get the Hella kit. I bought the DOT legal lights and did not see as big an improvement as others. Read the thread, it has all of the info in it. Ah heck, here is the link:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...talled-159609/
Old 08-08-2009, 04:57 PM

I decided to for-go taking the grille off. I was able to get 3 of 4 of the little retaining screws off the bracket that holds the headlight in place. With a little nudging, the screwdriver fits. But the 4th one is friggin rusted/something in place and it doesn't budge. Too small of a fit for a vice grip or pliers. I give up for tonight. Going to try to drill out the screw tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

I decided to for-go taking the grille off. I was able to get 3 of 4 of the little retaining screws off the bracket that holds the headlight in place. With a little nudging, the screwdriver fits. But the 4th one is friggin rusted/something in place and it doesn't budge. Too small of a fit for a vice grip or pliers. I give up for tonight. Going to try to drill out the screw tomorrow.
Did you see the posts about taking the bumper off?
Also the part about the screw on the bottom part (which is what I was trying to explain about the bracket).

I would soak it in Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster all night, I bet you'll be able to get it out without drilling it.

Fink
Old 08-08-2009, 06:34 PM

I thought it was a joke, about the bumper. I cannot, for some stupid reason, find any other screws holding the grille on. Now if I have to take off the bumper, who knows what that will lead to...
Old 08-09-2009, 11:19 AM

Well, I was able to bend/move/adjust each side of the grille enough to get at the 4 light bracket screws. Not easy, but replaced both headlights. Man, I hope the newer Toyotas do not have this issue (that is if I can ever afford one).

Thanks for all the insight.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I've never had to deal with the bumper to remove my grill.

Just the side lights and clips.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc
I've never had to deal with the bumper to remove my grill.

Just the side lights and clips.
Me either. I had to lower the bumper a little, but that's because I kinda moved it up a little bit off roading.

I replaced the sealed beam lights with the Hella H4 conversion kit and would recommend it 100% to anyone looking for an upgrade. Yes, it's pricey, but I like being able to see.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Is it just me that thinks the grill is easy to remove?

There are little tabs on the edge of each clip, just push them, in with your finger and they release.

remove side markers and just pull the grill out. My oem bumper only got in the way once it was bent.

Hella h4 e-code lenses are what you want to buy. They will blow the doors of anyother light available, with the exception of HID's.

x2 Rob. Cost me $140 for everything shipped up to me. But heck it was worth it, for something im going to use every day... its worth the investment.

I recently cracked my passengerside lense Nice crack, light still works %100. Not sure if im going to replace it yet

Last edited by Jay351; 08-09-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you guys do the Hella H4 upgrade with the 4crawler wiring "upgrade"? Or just the Hella kit....

I may invest $140 since the stock headlights do suck, but just wanted to make sure there were no other factors involved. Thanks
Old 08-10-2009, 12:38 PM

"My oem bumper only got in the way once it was bent."

Well, I guess that might have been half my problem. The lower part of the bumper (not the upper chrome) is bent to heck. Oh well, hopefully they will last a few years.

Bill
Old 08-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostinChick
Did you guys do the Hella H4 upgrade with the 4crawler wiring "upgrade"? Or just the Hella kit....

I may invest $140 since the stock headlights do suck, but just wanted to make sure there were no other factors involved. Thanks
You need to test the voltage at your lights when your truck is running. If you are losing more then a volt from the battery to the lights, then your wiring should be repalced. I was loosing just under a volt so I left the stock wiring there.

Click on my cardomain page to see light output pictures. My lights overshadow thoes of newer cars.

"My oem bumper only got in the way once it was bent."

Well, I guess that might have been half my problem. The lower part of the bumper (not the upper chrome) is bent to heck. Oh well, hopefully they will last a few years.

Bill
Might be your problem. Mine was bent up so it pinched the grill in...
Old 08-10-2009, 04:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
Hella h4 e-code lenses are what you want to buy. They will blow the doors of anyother light available, with the exception of HID's.

x2 Rob. Cost me $140 for everything shipped up to me. But heck it was worth it, for something im going to use every day... its worth the investment.

I recently cracked my passengerside lense Nice crack, light still works %100. Not sure if im going to replace it yet
My brother works at Lordco. Got them for under $100. I also picked up some protective headlight film. Works great so far. No chips or anything. Probably won't help with a rock...but...fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by BoostinChick

I just went with the Hella kit and a set of GE Nighthawks. The difference between the old and new is amazing. Even lighting all across the road on low beam, and the highbeams are excellent.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:41 PM

I took the grille off my '88 in about 5 min. The top clips and screws are easy, but you might need a long screw driver to get the clips on the bottom. You must be careful not to let the clips slip back in, because they do so very easily and it gets frustrating. Once the clips are all undone, you have to wiggle the grille out, it doesn't pull straight out. And just extra: when your putting the grille back on, take the clips from the truck, snap the correct end into the grille, and then put the grille on. Its much easier that way. Hope to have helped. (: