Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

t and e1 terminal help

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
t and e1 terminal help

i have a 22-re out of a 86(i believe) motor home in a 88 p/u

i have read tons of different articles explaining how to jump the terminals and where they are and what it all does..
(http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...CheckConnector)

my problem is, my truck has NONE of those connectors. i swapped the motor about three yrs ago and cant remember if i tore stuff out or what, but i know the truck ran perfect for over a year. i could burn my 33's no problem

i went through with a paperclip checking every female connector on the wiring harness and jumping every possibility to see if i could get codes to flash, didnt work.

any ideas?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 wont have the rectangular diagnostic connector. you need to look for two round connectors that dont go to anything on the drivers side of the vehicle near the ignitor... one of them will be the jumper for the diagnostic, the other is a jumper for the fuel pump. (assuming it has all of the 86 harness in it.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
It explains how to do it on the very page you linked.

READ the page completely and you will understand.

86 Doesn't have E1 and tE1 to jump
Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
On the '86 models, they're labeled as T and E1.(Edit: they're not actually labeled on the vehicle, but they are labeled as such in the manual). If those yellow plugs are gone on your vehicle, you'll need to track down the wires, atleast. The wires, when shorted, signal the ECU to go into diagnostic mode or base timing. You might be able to live without checking DTC's if you ever get one (which at some point you probably will and will not be able to live without), but you won't be able to accurately set ignition base timing. It would be nice to install a plug of some sort, but you atleast should find the wires, cap them off, and stow them somewhere for handy use. Can you get any pics of your engine compartment?

You're looking for the wires that would go to the round plug on the left.

Corey!!!!!!!!!! WTH are you doin!!!!!!!!!??????? Where ya been? My wife and I were talking about you just the other day.

Last edited by thook; 07-12-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Mathew... I finally crawled out from under my rock... Trying to get my offshore boat sold so I can get back into wheelin...

Go here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f147...heelin-215984/
Old 07-12-2010, 01:45 PM

Thanks for replying, Corey. I'll have to get your phone number again. I lost it when my computer crashed.

I'll have to check that thread later. Feedin' time for critters. Later.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:13 PM

thanks thook for taking the time to read, understand and reply! deathcougar didnt read MY post all the way he he(unless hes talking about something i overlooked)

anyway...

i understand what i am supposed to do, but tracking down two wires that have no connectors is gonna be tough, i will probably end up mangling my harness.

i went through and tested every female connector on the truck, even ones that didint go directly to the wiring harness. it took a few hours and was frustrating.

ill get a pic up of the engine compartment in the a.m.

i used the 86 harness from the ecu to the fuse box and injectors. the drivers side stayed the same, i think i unintentionally eliminated the diagnostic port. i remember the small box being there at one time.....
Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 PM

So, you have the little box set up in the truck instead of the plugs? Were/are you planning on wiring the harness up to the '88 diag. port? CougieCakes may actually know better than I, but I think on the '88 the port should be mounted on the pass side behind the battery on the wheel well. It is on 4rnr's, anyway. And, that would be labeled Te1 and E1. The label doesn't matter so much, though, as the stinkin' circuit serves the same function.

Whatever the case, you may have to do some mangling. But, I think what I'd do first is locate the terminals on the ECU and then look at the connector to see what colors the wires are. Then, go back to the other end of the harness and try to find them. Of course, you'll need an ECM diagram to know which terminals are T and E1. Hmmmm......try pm'ing 4runnerx3 for an ECM diagram. Otherwise, you can try going by the colors of the wires in the pic above.

Have fun.....

Last edited by thook; 07-12-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:49 PM

This might help...

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...ne/44engin.pdf
Old 07-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Staff

I think reading through a second time has given me a clue as to what happened.

You have an 88 chassis, and you used an 86 wiring harness. So yes, you eliminated the diagnostic port comepltely. The 86 diagnostic ports are in the body harness on the drivers side, and the 88 diagnostic port is on the engine harness on the pass side.

Since you have the 88 body harness and the 86 engine harness, you now have no diagnostic ports what so ever.

Last edited by DeathCougar; 07-12-2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Fixed for Thooky
Old 07-12-2010, 09:57 PM

(ehem....'88)
Old 07-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Staff

87 and 88 are teh same thing Mr. smarty pants thooky poo
Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 PM

Tehehehe........XXXXXOOOOO
Old 07-13-2010, 07:43 AM

hmm. so the 86 ecu wont have the wires coming out of the bottom of it would it? if it did what thook said would be easy nough.

any ideas on how i can fix this?

im afraid if i start hacking my harness up ill end up with it in the trash can! im gonna get pics of my engine compartment up right now
Old 07-13-2010, 08:06 AM

heres my drivers side( behind fuse box) and pass side(where plugs should be)

t and e1 terminal help-pict0091.jpg

t and e1 terminal help-pict0092.jpg

t and e1 terminal help-86-ecu.jpg
this is my 86 ecu. is shows a 10prong spot, a 18 prong spot, and a 14 prong spot. thats the same as my 88 ecu.

i should be able to tap into it- IF i can trace which wires are te1 and e1 from the bottom of the ecu to the harness in the eng compartment. RIGHT??

im not even gonna attempt this until im sure it will work. there arent enough toyotas around here to just go get a new harness. not even in junk yards. the closest one i can find is two hours away!
Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by yotarunner87
hmm. so the 86 ecu wont have the wires coming out of the bottom of it would it? if it did what thook said would be easy nough.

any ideas on how i can fix this?

im afraid if i start hacking my harness up ill end up with it in the trash can! im gonna get pics of my engine compartment up right now
There has to be wires/terminals for testing purposes at the ECU that would otherwise go to a diagnostic port or plug or else you couldn't trigger the ECU. I think what DeathTulip is trying to say is that the two wires (T and E1) run from the ECU, but are/would be grouped with the '86 chassis harness to be able to run it around to the driver's side as opposed to under the manifold and that general area. So, you'd have to look for the wires to be group with headlamp wires. With that in mind, and given your swapping around from year model to year model, your wires in question were probably cut somewhere near the ECU where they'd split off from other engine/EFI wires?

I will look at my '86 this afternoon and get back about it a little later today. I simply don't remember offhand how they're all run. Never paid much attention to that little detail. But, for some reason I'm thinking the two wires might actually be grouped with the wires to the ignition coil and igniter. Not sure. I'll just have to look.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by yotarunner87
heres my drivers side( behind fuse box) and pass side(where plugs should be)

Attachment 83028

Attachment 83029

Attachment 83027
this is my 86 ecu. is shows a 10prong spot, a 18 prong spot, and a 14 prong spot. thats the same as my 88 ecu.

i should be able to tap into it- IF i can trace which wires are te1 and e1 from the bottom of the ecu to the harness in the eng compartment. RIGHT??

im not even gonna attempt this until im sure it will work. there arent enough toyotas around here to just go get a new harness. not even in junk yards. the closest one i can find is two hours away!
Well, don't worry. I'm sure we'll locate the wires. They have to be there somewhere.

For the moment, yes, you could simply find the pins at the ECU and tap in a wire at the back of the corresponding terminals on the connector with the connector, of course, connected to the ECU. That is until you locate the business end of the wires.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by thook
For the moment, yes, you could simply find the pins at the ECU and tap in a wire at the back of the corresponding terminals on the connector with the connector, of course, connected to the ECU. That is until you locate the business end of the wires.
That would be what i would do... any book should show a pin diagram for the ECU.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:08 PM

On my '86 4rnr, the diagnostic wires run along with the headlamp, coil, and some other wires......starting at the fuse box, across the radiator, and split off on the driver's wheel well. The engine harness comes from inside the firewall, pass. side of course, and over to the manifold. But, there are two wires that split from the harness, run to the silver aluminum thingamajigs next to the fuse box, and then to the fuse box. Unless I missed something obvious (I was kinda in a hurry), I don't see how else a/the diagnostic port connects to the ECU except the two from the harness, to the thingamajigs (someone please tell me what those are), and ending at the fuse box. Maybe it connects somehow to the main relay? I'm just guessing there, as I didn't have time to look closer.

Anyway....

I think someone else is going to have to advise you on where you stand with the wiring on your '88 truck (or is it '87?....<<<snort, snicker>>>). I don't know how everything runs or how to make something work for you without actually seeing the vehicle better. Logic tells me you could simply splice some wires in behind the connectors at the ECU and run it out the firewall with the rest of the harness. It's backyard style at it's best, but it would work. That is only for setting timing and atleast pulling codes, though. Testing fuel pump, oxygen sensor, open/closed loop operations, and anything else....I don't know. Sorry.

You might try pm'ing ChefYota4x4. Get him to chime in. He has an '88....
Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 PM

okay thanks for the advice thook.

i am gonna try to find the wires you mentioned tomorrow. the two silver things on the pass side are relays for the starter( at least one of them is? i think anyway hehe)

if those two wires dont work, ill look at the pins on the ecu and trace the wires on the harness and tap into them in the eng. compartment. sounds easy enough now. i just didnt wanna screw my harness up.

thanks again for takin the time to check your truck out

Quick Reply: t and e1 terminal help