86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

synthetics....

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
synthetics....

I did a search and it came up with about a bazillion posts and most of those were arguements about synthetics causing leaks, I know better than that.

I'm changing the motor oil, tranny, t-case, and diffs over to Amsoil synthetics. Have any of you done this? If so did you notice any real change in starting, noise, economy etc?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switched to synths on my '99 Accord at ~129k. PO was an older lady that had documented dino oil changes at the dealership. My concern was causing leaks. Put about 15k since switching, no leaks. Couldn't speak to economy, as I hadn't run it with dino oil for more than a week when I got it.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:54 AM

I always run synthetic in my diffs and trans (manual). Works great for shifting and makes the input bearing last a lot longer. I run regular oil in my engines though. I don't think synthetic is worth the money in the engine IMHO. I would rather change the oil on a regular basis. 2 changes for the price of one synthetic.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Flash319
I always run synthetic in my diffs and trans (manual). Works great for shifting and makes the input bearing last a lot longer. I run regular oil in my engines though. I don't think synthetic is worth the money in the engine IMHO. I would rather change the oil on a regular basis. 2 changes for the price of one synthetic.
Synthetic oil is worth the money. You get what you pay for and synthetic oil is proven to extend engine life. Im not speaking down on you but the extra money per quart/case does make a difference. And its not that much more expensive than conventional.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
I did a search and it came up with about a bazillion posts and most of those were arguements about synthetics causing leaks, I know better than that.

I'm changing the motor oil, tranny, t-case, and diffs over to Amsoil synthetics. Have any of you done this? If so did you notice any real change in starting, noise, economy etc?
Her is a FAQ;
Is it true that installing AMSOIL or other synthetic oils will cause my engine to leak oil?
Answer: In modern vehicles, there is no risk of AMSOIL motor oil leaking. In fact, AMSOIL motor oil is fully compatible with modern seal materials. It is properly formulated to condition seals, keeping them pliable to prevent leakage.

I run it in everything even the lawnmower. I changed the 4runner i bought over to all syn, engine,tranny and diffs. I have no leaks, a small ticking noise is gone,and it runs smoother,gas milage is up a little nothing to brag about.
Everybody complains about cost but if you change it every 25k or once a year it is cheaper.If you get your oil tested about once a year you will know exactly whats going on with yur oilo and inside your engine. Ive ran it for years i just started selling it,so i dont have a sales pitch about it just personal experience and stories from friends. hope this helps
Old 06-26-2008, 09:35 AM

How long do you plan on running an engine anyway. Any engine that I have ever blown up had nothing to do with the oil..............It is better oil but not nesesary.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How long do you plan on running an engine anyway.
Forever. Really.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:39 AM

How long do you plan on running an engine anyway. Any engine that I have ever blown up had nothing to do with the oil..............It is better oil but not nesesary.
Why were you having the oil tested to bring a problem to your atention like abnormal wear or water in the oil or fuel in your oil? Those are a few things you know from doing UOA
Old 06-26-2008, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get alot more than that from a UOA. Some people are just curious and don't have a concrete reason to get it tested.

Anybody interested in sythetic fluid talk go to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php and read to your heart's content.

Rob
Old 06-26-2008, 09:51 AM

I wish I listened to all the people who said synth will make seals leak.

I switched and maybe two weeks later looks like my front seal is leaking, I have 350k km
Old 06-26-2008, 09:55 AM

Who does that? Truck driver and heavy equipment operators. Synthetics are new to the general public. Did engines from the 70's and 80's not last as long because of the oil?
We can argue all day long about this and it has been done A LOT. All my vehicals that I buy are usually over 300k km. Running and burning synthetic in a half wore out motor is a waste of money. If I had a brand new engine from scratch I would probebly run synthetic as it is better, but will make no difference to an engine thats at half life anyway. I would but money on the fact that a 425k km 22re will not see 750k km no mater what oil you run. #$it wares out, fact of life. (its been done but the averages are not in its favor).

Last edited by Flash319; 06-26-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:04 AM

Who does that? Truck driver and heavy equipment operators. Synthetics are new to the general public. Did engines from the 70's and 80's not last as long because of the oil?
We can argue all day long about this and it has been done A LOT. All my vehicals that I buy are usually over 300k km. Running and burning synthetic in a half wore out motor is a waist of money. If I had a brand new engine from scratch I would probebly run synthetic as it is better, but will make no difference to an engine thats at half life anyway. I would but money on the fact that a 425k km 22re will not see 750k km no mater what oil you run. #$it wares out, fact of life. (its been done but the averages are not in its favor).
Bob is the oil guy would b a god site for you a mentioned above and read this:
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/faq...=haas_articles

Sounds like there is alot you do not know about how different oils can react to diferent applications. Thats why it has to be tested before you can talk about what oil does or does not do. I run Amsoil it test for me to be the best, i have had buddys test their oil and a few cases dino oil was better for them. You will never know until you test it, its that simple

Oh yeah Amsoil has been around since 1972 available to the public. Not sure what new to the general public is

Last edited by dbcx; 06-26-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:08 AM

I should also note mine sounded way better (got rid of the loud ticking) after switching and it ran better, better gas milage....just friggin leaks now
Old 06-26-2008, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by toyotatom93
I should also note mine sounded way better (got rid of the loud ticking) after switching and it ran better, better gas milage....just friggin leaks now
Whose oil did you try?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:20 AM

Mobil1, it was 40% off so I thought I'd try it.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:30 AM

your seal was bad already; synthetics do not cause leaks. I have found that they will amplify an existing problem a little but not enough to freak about.

And "new to the general public"? Huh?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Brenjen
your seal was bad already; synthetics do not cause leaks. I have found that they will amplify an existing problem a little but not enough to freak about.

And "new to the general public"? Huh?
Nobody understands that.
"new to general public"? x2
Old 06-26-2008, 10:41 AM

I realize my seal was bad, but the synth still caused it to leak. I just cant stand to see it leaking when it never leaked a single drop before.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by toyotatom93
I realize my seal was bad, but the synth still caused it to leak. I just cant stand to see it leaking when it never leaked a single drop before.
If it was bad synth didnt cause the leak. Not speaking for others but Amsoil does have additives that try and help that sort of problem by conditioning all seals. I have never had a leak just start from nowhere when swapping over. Ive swapped new cars with 5k and vehicles with 200k on them no leaks.

Last edited by dbcx; 06-26-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Some vehicles will leak and some won't. If it does start a leak it just revealed the leak that was already there but was gummed up with dino oil and the syn oil just cleaned it up allowing the leak to reveal itself. I don't think synthetic is the cause of the leak,it just reveals the existing issues.