86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

switching out engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
switching out engines

3.0 for 3.0 got this one handed to me i test drove it before i pulled it and it drove alot bttr then mine because i got a blown head and running on 3-4 cylinders.

Anybody got any tips before i pull mine and murder this engine.

Just any tips im starting on it tonight just some ideas maybe?

cleaning the engine tonight and putting a new oil gasket.

Then tomorrow morning @ 8 am the work begins.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not too big of a deal to swap the same engine back in. Just buy, rent or steal a picker and keep the accessories and wiring organized as you pull them off the old engine. The worst part is when putting the new engine to get it lined up with the spline in the bellhousing (assuming you have a stick)

Rob
Old 10-17-2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by rdlsz24
It's not too big of a deal to swap the same engine back in. Just buy, rent or steal a picker and keep the accessories and wiring organized as you pull them off the old engine. The worst part is when putting the new engine to get it lined up with the spline in the bellhousing (assuming you have a stick)

Rob
i have a cherry picker.

and an engine mount for my other engine to sit on.

And yeah i know the lining up is kinda hard i guess

Im thinking numbering every wire. 1:1 with tape and on the engine put 1 and 2:2 and so on. just to keep everything organised.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:27 AM

what years are the engines?
I am considering doing the same thing. I currently have a '92 3L with way more miles than my parts '89 3L. I am trying to do some research to see if anyhting at all is different.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by EricBirk
what years are the engines?
I am considering doing the same thing. I currently have a '92 3L with way more miles than my parts '89 3L. I am trying to do some research to see if anyhting at all is different.
its a 89 yes. every single thing is the same. i have it up at my ranch where i do all my worko n my trucks.

the engine i have looked it up and down and all around. nothing looks different to me. and if you know that 89 runs great.

then i would do the switch
Old 10-17-2008, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No need to number everything, really. Toyota is really good for not duplicating connectors.

Nothing new, but generally I throw out the procedure book when removing and installing engines. Look at the motor, and seperate everything that's between the motor and the vehicle. A/C compressors, P/S pumps, harnesses, intake plumbing, starter... anything that's got a connection to the vehicles body. When I can see daylight all the way around except the two motor mounts, I move in with the picker. Chain up the motor and pull the motor mounts. Lower the motor a few inches, grab the 60" extension and pull all the bellhousing bolts out from underneath. Lift the motor back to "ride height", and pry it off the tranny.

Oh, and take the rad out. "I've got lots of room..." -Last words my radiator heard before it went to the big scrap heap in the sky.