Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Swapping Parts Between Pickup and 4Runner

Old 12-04-2008, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Swapping Parts Between Pickup and 4Runner

Hey guys, I've searched the forums and the google and can't really find a solid answer on something I want to try. My 1990 truck has got some rust and dent issues on the front end, and I want to use mixed parts to get the job done.

I like the look of the grille/bumper/valance on the 4Runner ('92-'94) and I want to know if it would be a relatively direct bolt-in to swap these parts on a 1990 pickup. Or similarly, would the grille from a '92-'94 pickup be direct bolt-in as well, or require some modification? I prefer the 4Runner look but I wouldn't mind using the pickup parts if they are easier to install. Has anyone here done this before?

Are interior parts bolt-in? In particular I want the dome light/rear view mirror assembly from a 4Runner. Also, my instrument cluster doesn't have a tachometer and the speedometer bounces up and down when accelerating, what kind of instrument cluster do I need if I have a 1990? I've seen some with a tachometer for sale on the internet but I don't know if they will work with my truck.

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:26 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
For the front grille and vallence from the runner to the pickup, you would have to take the whole core support and cut and weld it in...not bolt in at all.

If your speedo bounces you'll probably need a new housing on the tranny side
You could just put in an aftermarket tach, or do a cluster swap from an SR5

Old 12-04-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the reply. Hmm I didn't realize I'd have to mess with the core and all that, probably better to leave it be. What about a '92-'94 pickup to a '90? Same problem I assume?

Also, I assume I have a mechanical cluster in my '90, so any aftermarket mechanical cluster should work?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:44 PM

1. I do not know, Normally people want the runner grille and all, and thats been discussed plenty of times, so i just know.

2. I dont know of any companys that make aftermarket clusters, I assume you could make your own cluster with aftermarket gauges...

Old 12-23-2008, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're still payin attention to this, I have a 94 runner and I want to do a 90-91 style front bumper conversion so when I lose my lower crappo plastic valance, my turn signal lights dont fall off! I could just get the 90-91 4runner front bumper, but from what I can see, they all come in 3-piece with end caps, and the trucks version comes as 1 solid smooth piece. I was wondering of I could use the bumper mounting brackets and bumper from the pickup and fit that on in place of mine so I don't have to look at those ugly 3-piece thingers. Otherwise, I'll just do it that way. I plan on painting the bumper color-matched green and putting the sonoran steal filler plate in black on with that, and I know it works with the pickup front bumper, its on their shop truck!
Old 12-23-2008, 09:15 AM

From what I have seen lookin at pictures, You said your concerned with taking of your lower valence and the front signals coming off...
Looky here, the 93 + runner pics I have seen look like my bumper/valence..

The Blinker lights actually go into the bumper, not the valence...

If all you want to do is lose the valence, try taking it off real quck...
Im sure you'll be pleased with the look, and your turn signals wont fall off

As for your fitment questions...I dont really have experience trying to swap this and that...But I would guess the bumper from 90-92 would be a direct swap from 93+
Hopefully DeathCoug can chime in...

but that should hold you over until then...

Old 12-25-2008, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by scuba
From what I have seen lookin at pictures, You said your concerned with taking of your lower valence and the front signals coming off...
Looky here, the 93 + runner pics I have seen look like my bumper/valence..

The Blinker lights actually go into the bumper, not the valence...

If all you want to do is lose the valence, try taking it off real quck...
Im sure you'll be pleased with the look, and your turn signals wont fall off

As for your fitment questions...I dont really have experience trying to swap this and that...But I would guess the bumper from 90-92 would be a direct swap from 93+
Hopefully DeathCoug can chime in...

but that should hold you over until then...

The lights might not physically fall out of the bumper, but they look like crap. I'd say you should go get a 90-91 bumper and body-color match it and get the sonoran steel filler plate like me! What your picture perfectly shows is how the pickup bumper follows all the way around the corner in one piece like the 92-95 4runners. The 90-91 4runner bumper comes in 3 pieces bolted together. The pickup version of the 90-91 is one solid piece all the way around with the lights surrounded by metal. I know I can go into a junkyard and pull a 90-91 4runner bumper with mounts off, spray it green and bolt it on, but I really want the pickup bumper. I saw one of those total POS lookin oldschool 1-ton (I think) dually pickups in aweful condition the other day with the bumper I wanted. It made me a little mad inside. Anyone know the answer to my question? I sure don't want to 'be that guy' and start another thread...

P.S. I think your truck looks yota-fabulous otherwise. I'm just a junkyard upgrade junkie! What tire size are you running? I couldn't find it in your signature or a build thread that you've started per-say.

Last edited by NYChopshop; 12-25-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:00 AM

Don't know about all of em but my 91 pu had a 3 piece rusty bumper when I bought it. If I rember my reseach right both the pu & 4runner were 3 piece till 93. I purchased a new 93 style and installed it. The turn signals fit fine. The metal valance panel did not. Had to finagel that a bit, but with a couple of new holes drilled and some cussin got it on. The relief area at the top side of the bumper where the grill drops is a little different but caused no issue.
Hope that helps a little.
Jim
Old 12-25-2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by foot0069
Don't know about all of em but my 91 pu had a 3 piece rusty bumper when I bought it. If I rember my reseach right both the pu & 4runner were 3 piece till 93. I purchased a new 93 style and installed it. The turn signals fit fine. The metal valance panel did not. Had to finagel that a bit, but with a couple of new holes drilled and some cussin got it on. The relief area at the top side of the bumper where the grill drops is a little different but caused no issue.
Hope that helps a little.
Jim
The reason that you had the drillin and cussin to do is probably because you didnt grab the bumper mounting brackets. If you get the entire bumper from the frame out, you shouldn't have had any problems. On the other hand, take a look at the last picture I posted of the sonoran steel filler plate, hes got the 1-piece bumper on his. I only assume its 90-91 pickups, I havn't studied the differences in the pickup parts as much as the 4runner parts. On the other hand, assuming all I got wrong was the year, does anyone have any clue whether I can make the 1-piece fit with only a moderate amount of drillin and cussin?