Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Swapping ecu's that dont match.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Swapping ecu's that dont match.

Use this Info at your own risk, I am not responsible for any damages you may incur from using this info!

Ok, so there have been a bunch of questions in the past about weather or not you can use the ecu from an auto to manual and vice versa....

I have done a little experimenting, and hopefully my findings will help someone out....

First... I have the 91 p/u v-6 5spd, it had a cel code 21 when I got it..... so I ordered a new o2 sensor for it, wired it in, and dont ya know it, still got the cel 21.... so I did a lil searching, and found that the part #'s for 91 p/u v-6 o2 sensor are different than that of a 4runner w the same motor.....why you ask? Well I dont know, but they are.... so I looked and sure enough...the idiots I got the new sensor from was for a 4runner...not a p/u. This got me thinking, I have an extra ecu for a 93 4runner v-6 auto, just for kicks, I decided to try it on the p/u....I didnt really expect it to work, but fig'd I'd give it a shot anyway, and wouldnt ya know.... with this ecu.... no more cel. The thing ran great!
So what does this prove exactly?? Well...it proves that if you get an o2 for a 4runner from an idiot at the local parts store, an ecu from a 4runner will make it work....

So next...I have the 94 runner v-6 5spd, this one has the upstream AND downstream o2's.
Recently on a light wheeling trip, I went over a stump and it ripped the cat, and everything behind it off, after this...there were broken pieces floating around in there, so ( not having the money to replace it) I decided to gut it before putting it back on, now of course, once I had it back on there, it would trip the cel for the downstream 02, being as the cat was just there for show, and not actually doing anything. I had another ecu for a 93 runner v-6 auto, the 93 it came off, had just the upstream (pre-cat) o2.... so I 6thought...If the ecu from a 93 worked on a 91, maybe it will work on a 94.... Put it on there...and dont ya know..... no more cel!!!!

So what this means for me.... In Maine...if you have a cel, you can not get an inspection sticker, they dont care if the cat works or not (as long as it looks like 1 is on there) but no cel.... so for now...I avoided the cost of a new cat( I think I was quoted $700 from toyota) and I can still get inspected.

I dont really recommend people go out and gut their cat, but if you are in a position like I was, this info could help ya out.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Hey...whatever works!

It doesn't necessarily have to make sense, be politically correct, or even legal.

"If no one broke the laws, the laws would never change."

"If the laws are unjust or immoral(or stupid), you are unjust or immoral(or stupid) to not break the laws."