Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Swapped tranny output and TC input seals, am I screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapped tranny output and TC input seals, am I screwed?

I accidentally swapped the seal that is supposed to go on the transmission output shaft and the seal that is supposed to go on the Transfer Case input. I am pretty sure that the OD and ID are the same.

I reinstalled the transmission before realizing my error. At the moment, I am thinking that the only real negative would be if the seals leak now because the little sipes on them are facing the wrong direction.

Is this a big enough problem that I should pull the TC right now, or should I wait and see if it leaks? Is it possible to pull the TC with the transmission in place? I really do not want to pull the tranny again.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:55 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

As long as they are the same size .

Get two new ones and look at them to be sure.

I don`t recall a seal on the transfer case if there is one unless your dealing with a automatic.

Then I have no clue never saw one.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:40 PM

They actually ride on the same piece of metal, which I assume has a consistent OD. Both were also nice snug fits in their respective cavities.

At $18 apeice at the dealer (not in stock) buying two just to compare the size is not really an option. If it starts leaking, I'll go that route.

Honestly, at the moment my main question is whether anyone else has done this before and not been screwed, and if the transfer case can be safely removed without taking out the tranny.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:24 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
If the seals are the same ID and OD, what exactly is the difference between the two??
I would think that which side was put in, or out, as the case might be, would likely determine whether a leak will occur or not. Most seals are made to seal in one direction.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:05 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Sturmcrow
They actually ride on the same piece of metal, which I assume has a consistent OD. Both were also nice snug fits in their respective cavities.

At $18 apeice at the dealer (not in stock) buying two just to compare the size is not really an option. If it starts leaking, I'll go that route.

Honestly, at the moment my main question is whether anyone else has done this before and not been screwed, and if the transfer case can be safely removed without taking out the tranny.
Sturmcrow, I'm pretty sure you can not pull the transfer case witout pulling the tranny. After the shop rebuilt my tranny, the seal between teh transfer case and tranny extension housing was leaking a little. I took it back, and he had to pull it out to redo the seal. I said he couldn't pull just the transfer case. Although, as I was looking at it I didn't understand why it was so.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

That very seal is what keeps you from getting the case out.

You can`t get the case back far enough to start dropping it down.

Now this was about 10 years ago so I could be wrong.

I know it is impossible to get it back in at least for me
Old 08-29-2014, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll leave it as is for now.

To Millball, some oil seals have little fins on the inside that are supposed to encourage the oil to go back into the case, if a little leaks past the first seal. If the seals I am talking about have those fins, they would be pointing the wrong way now. In the long run, probably not a big deal, but I figured I would ask before I got the driveshafts and crossmember back on.