86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

swap Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swap Help

ok i have an 89 pickup with 3.0 and im really wondering how much would it cost to do a 3.4 swap and if its worth it. Also what all is needed to do the swap,..

Thanks
Old 01-31-2009, 09:42 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
figure that its prolly in the ballpark of 3 grand...

in fact, if you wanted to, there is a whole forum section dedicated to motor swaps and in the threads people list what parts are needed as well...

welcome to YOTATECH and good luck!
Old 01-31-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What SpaceJunk said.

I love mine. No regrets.

http://www.andrewzook.com/content/view/22/48

Andy's site is one of the best references on the swap.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is very much worth it. My approach to doing the swap will be to leave as much stock and use as much available stuff as possible. Almost everything in a 3.4 swap can be done differently depending on what you want and cost so let me give you a little INTRO (so there's more info on each topic than I'm listing) from the info I have read on this forum and links to others so I'm sorry if I don't remember where I got it from but it's not mine You would be better off slowly reading about this on your own by using the search feature at the top of this forum because if you read all this at once you might get scared off.

What you'll need from the donor 4runner, tacoma, or t100.
You'll need two (2) O2 sensors, the MAF sensor if your motor has one, All the VSV's, the EVAP Box, and the engine wire harness, The ECU and the body side wire harness plugs that connect to the engine wire harness. The under dash ODB connector would be nice to grab too, if you need all that to work for emissions testing. That whole package costs about $2000.

About the Engine Compartment Layout.
They are different comapring it to your pickup. All the components are on the opposite side- air box, battery, EVAP box, everything. You can add a battery tray to the other side of your engine bay if you want to use the 3.4l air box or use your stock battery location and put a short intake on the 3.4l.

Engine Mounts and Transmission
The engine bolts right up to the transmission using the 3.0L motor mounts. You should buy new motor mounts if yours are worn out.

Oil Pan, Baffle, and Pickup Tube
The 3.4L Tacoma and 4Runner pan, baffle and pickup tube won't work, as the front differential is on the passenger on the newer trucks. use your 3.0L pan, pickup tube, baffle.

Belt Drive Accessories
Use the 3.4l stuff. 3.0l stuff fits but like I said this is just a intro so read/search to make sure what fits and what doesn't.

Radiator and Coolant Hoses
3.0L radiator. You will need to find all new radiator hoses though. The upper and lower are the same on a 3.4L The upper hose is about 2" longer and, the lower hose is about 2" shorter than the stock 3.4L hoses. The heater hoses bends are pretty minor, so there is no kinking. You only need to replace the ones that connect directly to the motor. The others will be the stock fit for your vehicle. For upper rad hose you can use 3.4 just trim a couple inches, lower use 22re trim a little.

Exhaust System
The exhaust system is on the passenger side on a 3.4L motor (drivers on a 3.0L), custom Y-pipe. Flip 3.4l crossover, mod. The "fliped 3.4l crossover" is awesome because it's cheap so you don't spend hundreds of dollars.

Fuel Lines
The flexible fuel line coming from the 3.4L engine is on the driver’s side (passenger side on 3.0L vehicle). And return. Swap inlets to pass side on fuel rails. If not: You will need to relocate the steel line coming from the gas tank.

The Wiring. Either do it yourself or pay for a harness. I think a member on here was going to be making them so check that out.

Tachometer
You’ll need to modify the 3.0L tach. You have to take out the gauge cluster, remove the tach and solder in a 10K ohm resister to a specific location on the back of the tach (on the circuit board). Good time to get a sr5 cluster.
The 10K ohm tach mod recommended for the V6 tach also works great on the I4 tach. You do have to turn the calibration pot a tad so it will read accurately.

This would seem to suggest, for you SR5 cluster swap dudes who can't find just what you need, that an I4 tach will work on the 3.0 V6 as well, or vice-versa (same year application of course).

Power Steering Hoses
You'll need to use the 3.4L power steering pump...which works fine with the 3.0 power steering box, but the hoses don't reach. For the high pressure hose, you'll need to have one custom made unless you can do it.

Other stuff:
you swap in the 3.0L oil pressure sending unit

depending on the casting year of the 3.4 you may need to drill a hole for the dip stick

Regarding the harness, you'll need to use the 3.4 harness and harvest the plugs from the 3.0 (N2 & N3) that attach to the body wiring. You can purchase one from Offroad Solutions or make your own if you're savvy with electronics. Either way, you need the correct EWD (electrical wiring diagram) for the motor and it would help to have the EWD for your truck as well. There is quite a bit of work to make this as you need to basically cut & splice every wire going to the ECU to do this properly.

The OBD-II port can easily be used by adding on the diagnostic plug, you can install an OBD-II plug right above the hood latch pull. your check engine lamp will work just fine. you need to be comfortable with crunching through the wiring diagrams as you'll be building this mess from scratch.

still verify your connections with a DMM before soldering and shrinking

Regarding the gauges- the temp gauge sender is the same resistance range as the 3.0 so its a direct hook up. the 3.0 oil pressure sender will screw in to the 3.4 block but needs to be extended slightly to clear the alternator. The tach will not work without an adaptor

The bellhousing will bolt right up to the new motor as well as the 3.0 motor mounts- However, the right side motor mount may only hit 2 or 3 bolts on the block, depending on the casting and whether or not you use the 3.4 A/C bracket. If the 3.4 A/C bracket and compressor is used and swapped the top of the compressor from the the 3.0L the hoses bolt right.

ideally find a 2000 - 2001 Tacoma or 1999 to 2000 4Runner. To my knowledge, these are the ones that ran the larger injectors, no EGR and no drive by wire throttle system

Regarding your question about the plugs- You will be harvesting the plugs referred to as IH1 & IH2 in your truck EWD. They will contain the speed sensor, check engine light, 4wd indicator, back up lights, starter signal, batt & ignition power, O2 sensor, etc.. Don't even try this without the correct diagrams. If you need to purchase them, go to www.techinfo.toyota.com and get your vehicle wire diagrams and the XXXX Tacoma, 4Runner or T100 EWD. (XXXX represents the year of the donor motor). Response by TSP:The wiring is long enough for the 90-95 4runners. It’s just long enough to get the stock location. If the ECU is flipped upside down, the plugs are on top, then everything can plug in.

Now's a good time to do things that would otherwise be a pain like flushing the heater core out

I think that should give you a little idea of it. Now click on search at the top of the page and search for 3.4l swap and also navigate to the 3.4l swap sub forum here at yotatech.

Originally Posted by schipper1990
ok i have an 89 pickup with 3.0 and im really wondering how much would it cost to do a 3.4 swap and if its worth it. Also what all is needed to do the swap,..

Thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine swap section: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f159/