Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Suspension tips and help?

Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension tips and help?

Hello Everyone,

Since I initially joined I have done a lot of work on the now affectionately-named Buela. The following is what has been done:
  • Radiator replacement
  • Power steering pump
  • front axle
  • oil cooler O-rings replaced
  • Clutch hydrollic cable replaced

The truck is running pretty strong... I did find that after replacing the radiator the water inlet at the top of the engine has a weak seal and occasionally lets some coolant "pee" through the seam. Easy fix!

I was planning to do an OME lift that would only bring it up about an inch or so but the internet searches seem vague at best in terms of what to use. I was curious if anyone here has done the OME lift and knows exactly what our trucks need to make this work...

Also, I was curious if any of you are in the Colorado Front Range area like Denver/COS, as I would like to have a few local folks who could throw me some advice and maybe pick up some extra cash/beer in exchange for some help here and there?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by twcolo; 02-18-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
The OME lift for our generation of trucks is pretty simple because it's not that aggressive of a change. There is considerably more threads to reference now, but when I first got my OME lift a few years ago there was hardly any feedback at the time.

There are several ways to use their products, but the minimum you will need is the rear leaf springs (2 versions - medium and heavy, don't get heavy unless you always haul or have a load in the bed at all times) and a t-bar crank to adjust the front (plus all the goods for the leafs like bushings, ubolts and shackles). OME does make new t-bars, but these are considered fairly stiff unless you have extra weight in front, like a winch and offroad bumper, or plans to do high speed offroading. Lastly, OME makes great shocks to be paired with their components.

On my 93, this is what I did: OME medium leafs, OME leaf bushings, OME shocks, 1.5" BJ spacers, and new u-bolts, then got all 4 OME shocks and steering stabilizer. I chose to skip the t-bars because I wanted super soft front suspension for good articulation offroad. I also skipped the shackles at the time, but now find the need for them after a few changes on my rig since then. If you do a search, I put down the exact part numbers for what I installed on my rig. If any questions, you can PM me or just ask.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery
The OME lift for our generation of trucks is pretty simple because it's not that aggressive of a change. There is considerably more threads to reference now, but when I first got my OME lift a few years ago there was hardly any feedback at the time.

There are several ways to use their products, but the minimum you will need is the rear leaf springs (2 versions - medium and heavy, don't get heavy unless you always haul or have a load in the bed at all times) and a t-bar crank to adjust the front (plus all the goods for the leafs like bushings, ubolts and shackles). OME does make new t-bars, but these are considered fairly stiff unless you have extra weight in front, like a winch and offroad bumper, or plans to do high speed offroading. Lastly, OME makes great shocks to be paired with their components.

On my 93, this is what I did: OME medium leafs, OME leaf bushings, OME shocks, 1.5" BJ spacers, and new u-bolts, then got all 4 OME shocks and steering stabilizer. I chose to skip the t-bars because I wanted super soft front suspension for good articulation offroad. I also skipped the shackles at the time, but now find the need for them after a few changes on my rig since then. If you do a search, I put down the exact part numbers for what I installed on my rig. If any questions, you can PM me or just ask.

Good luck!
Thanks for the quick feedback on that. I'll search for the part numbers and see where I come in. I've barely started to crack open the lid of doing my own work so I'll admit, I've got some nervousness going on about changes, hahaha. However, outside of the few remaining cooling system problems my suspension is the worst problem the truck faces today... And some body work issues.