86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Supra motor Swap Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supra motor Swap Questions.

My best friend has a 88 4 runner he uses for a trail rig only.. has the 22re in it with the automatic... we also have a 86 or 87 supra we were just gonna part out but his motor on the runner is making lots of noise so we figured why not just swap the motor into the runner? seems like it would be alot of fun..we both are mechanics and pretty knowlegeable but I was just curious if anyone else on here has done this swap or seen it done...any problems or suggestions from anyone would be helpful. we have a ride on new years day then after that we are gonna hammer down on it
Old 12-26-2008, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BEATERYOTA93
My best friend has a 88 4 runner he uses for a trail rig only.. has the 22re in it with the automatic... we also have a 86 or 87 supra we were just gonna part out but his motor on the runner is making lots of noise so we figured why not just swap the motor into the runner? seems like it would be alot of fun..we both are mechanics and pretty knowlegeable but I was just curious if anyone else on here has done this swap or seen it done...any problems or suggestions from anyone would be helpful. we have a ride on new years day then after that we are gonna hammer down on it

There is a member on here corax he did a 3.0 7MGE swap, and it is quite impressive. Check his thread and related links:
http://www.supracharged.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1644

He's in California so everything is smog legal which was what impressed me. Search through his posts, I think he had a write up here too. Very clean detailed work and notes. Nice guy too. I PMed him and we talked about it a bit. Im sure he would be willing to shar some knowledge of point you in the right direction.

EDIT:
Heres the other thread, not on here:
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=4256.0

Last edited by stagger_lee; 12-26-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:54 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
if he did a writeup, then its in the motor swap part of the forums...
Old 12-26-2008, 07:01 AM

Aside from your specific question, just be aware that you y'all do the swap it will have to remain a trail only rig, as it's an illegal swap otherwise.

Fred
Old 12-26-2008, 07:18 AM

Oh I see the problem. You can only swap an 88 or newer motor in that runner. Good catch Fred.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:19 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FredTJ
Aside from your specific question, just be aware that you y'all do the swap it will have to remain a trail only rig, as it's an illegal swap otherwise.
Not necessarily. Depends on your state laws. Being that the motor is older than the original, you're more likely to have issues though.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Fred
since they're thinking of doin the swap to an '88, and the 7MGE was available till '91 it should be legal. Engine swaps where the new engine was NOT offered in that truck are legal, provided they are the same or later year, all emissions equipment is brought over from the donor vehicle, the new engine is from the same emissions class (i.e. passenger car, truck, etc -or- you swap an engine from a passenger car into a truck) and the vehicle passes inspection at a referree station.

Mine passed visual and functional, however I never did get the CA Smog referee sticker because the day before I was supposed to go back for a recheck on the tailpipe they shut down the referee stations due to "the ongoin budget crisis in California" -- then I moved back to the east coast

Last edited by corax; 12-26-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:30 AM

point of reference - the 7MGE or 7MGTE was offered from 1986.5 -> 1991

I got all my parts from a pull-it-yourself junkyard from several different model year Supra's and told the smog ref it was all from an '89. The ECU, wire harness, vacuum routing, etc is all the same on those years so it only really matters what you say - if you do decide to do this (as with any swap) keep a journal so you know what you put into it (and remember there was a clutch throw out change around '89, went from a push type to pull type pressure plate)
Old 12-26-2008, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for some of the input...this truck will never see the road..strickly trail beater....the new thought is to put the supra body on the frame as well haha. play around alil bit with some ideas. ive seen it done with different stuff but not a supra. should be a fun project.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by tc
Not necessarily. Depends on your state laws. Being that the motor is older than the original, you're more likely to have issues though.
I can't, for the life of me, figure out how y'all can't seem to grasp this concept:

IT'S FEDERAL LAW.
State law has NOTHING to do with it.
States can be more restrictive than Federal but not less, however it's not the States place to enforce Federal law, which is why people can get away with illegal swaps in some states, because the particular state doesn't care.
Still doesn't make it legal.
Fed. fines are pretty large.

Fred
Old 12-26-2008, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by corax
point of reference - the 7MGE or 7MGTE was offered from 1986.5 -> 1991

I got all my parts from a pull-it-yourself junkyard from several different model year Supra's and told the smog ref it was all from an '89. The ECU, wire harness, vacuum routing, etc is all the same on those years so it only really matters what you say - if you do decide to do this (as with any swap) keep a journal so you know what you put into it (and remember there was a clutch throw out change around '89, went from a push type to pull type pressure plate)

^^ I told you he was cool ^^

I am just started to get my runner together I was hoping to head up your way to do some wheeling Corax! Then you go and move out east. I hope all is weel for ya.

Last edited by stagger_lee; 12-26-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:18 AM

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how y'all can't seem to grasp this concept:

IT'S FEDERAL LAW.
States can be more restrictive than Federal but not less, however it's not the States place to enforce Federal law, which is why people can get away with illegal swaps in some states, because the particular state doesn't care.

Fred
wouldn't really matter much since it's a trail only vehicle not registered or driven on public roads . . .

My best friend has a 88 4 runner he uses for a trail rig only...
...this truck will never see the road..strickly trail beater.....
California is recognized as having the most restrictive emmissions program, one that goes above and beyond what Federal Regs specify, and I easily passed the visual and functional tests - meaning it was a completely legal swap. The only thing that prevented me getting the sticker was high NOx caused by a torn injector seal (vacuum leak, single cylinder leaned out and the resultant high combustion temps that formed the NOx).

Last edited by corax; 12-26-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:25 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It would be unConstitutional for you to receive fines from one governement agency when another said it was OK and had certified it.

The law may be Federal, but it is administered by the states.

As for your blanket statement about state laws having to be more stringent than Federal, how do you explain legal drugs (medical marijuana in CA), gambling (many states), and prostitution (NV) when they are illegal by Federal law? In actual fact, the only thing limiting the laws within states are the state and Federal Constitutions. State laws do NOT have to align with Federal laws.

Last edited by tc; 12-26-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:49 AM

They don't have to align, but federal can shut it down or overide the stae at any time like in California in regards to marijuana. Federal shut down multiple distribution centers.

Last edited by stagger_lee; 12-26-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
how would you know that stagger?
your distro center get shut down? lol...

and to fred, like corax said, it dont matter as long as the state air resources board passes it...
Old 12-26-2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
if he did a writeup, then its in the motor swap part of the forums...
copied my post from the other site to here for future reference
Old 12-26-2008, 02:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
Aside from your specific question, just be aware that you y'all do the swap it will have to remain a trail only rig, as it's an illegal swap otherwise....

IT'S FEDERAL LAW.
Still doesn't make it legal.
Fed. fines are pretty large.
Originally Posted by tc
It would be unConstitutional for you to receive fines from one governement agency when another said it was OK and had certified it.

The law may be Federal, but it is administered by the states.
And let's not forget that the EPA offers two choices for other states: follow Federal or California regulations, implying there are two choices, and if California regulations permit it, Federal law cannot supercede it until it is presented to the Supreme Court and a determination that the Federal law is Constitutional and does not violate the rights of the state.
As for your blanket statement about state laws having to be more stringent than Federal, how do you explain legal drugs (medical marijuana in CA), gambling (many states), and prostitution (NV) when they are illegal by Federal law? In actual fact, the only thing limiting the laws within states are the state and Federal Constitutions. State laws do NOT have to align with Federal laws.
Matter of factly, the Constitution allows the Federal government to administer any laws which a state does not reserve for itself. Los Angeles was the first region in the nation to enact emissions requirements thus setting the precedent for the first California regulations in 1959. Federal investigation into air pollution began in 1955 with the passage of the Air Pollution Control Act which led to the Clean Air Act of 1963: http://www.ametsoc.org/sloan/cleanai...airlegisl.html
Since California passed the laws first, theirs take precedence over any Federal law established later, at least with regards to California. California's emissions requirements are more strict than Federal and this is why the EPA offers the Fed or Cali standards for other states to comply with.

As for the issues of marijuana, gambling, prostitution, etc., as above, the preceeding law would recognized before the newer one. Depending on which was written first (the state permitting it or federal denying it) would determine which is effective and enforcable. Any law passed by a state before federal action is taken cannot be invalidated simply by passing a contradicting federal law and likewise a state law enacted after a federal law cannot invalidate federal law. This does not preclude federal legislation from restricing states which have not enacted their own legistlation.

Last edited by abecedarian; 12-26-2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: punctuation and reformatting