Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

supra afm in 3.0 please help I will do a detailed write up when I get it right

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking supra afm in 3.0 please help I will do a detailed write up when I get it right

i have a 3.0 and a supra afm (I think it's an 82 it looks like all the pics people put on here for thier 22re supra afm swap) is it just the connector and the pins coming out of it that you that people are switching for their 22re's cause i think the potentiometer lookin thing is part of the door). what are these "guts" everyone speaks of i've been looking. everything on both my stock afm and the supra afm look identical. i hooked it up and had to adjust the air/fuel so far to get it to run that now the door is a couple millimeters away from closing and the one pin coming from the connector doesn't touch the pin that is should when it idles and if i do touch the pins together while it's idling it dies. otherwise it runs pretty good i like how it sounds and looks. it seems like it has better throttle response and the 3.0 air filter fits perfect in the supra filter housing, but i dont think it's right it seems like it's running rich and sometimes when the engine first fires when it's cold it starts fine has a high idle for a little while like it should then the rpm's go down and it almost dies unless i give it some gas and even the idle out then it's fine. i'm not sure what to do next....if i can get it right i will definitely post a writeup, pics and even a video for anyone interested. and sometime tomorrow night i will post pics to help everyone better under understand my question.

any response positive or negative will be greatly appreciated as i am almost at a stand still

Thanks Drew
Old 02-14-2009, 12:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The '82 Supra AFM is compatible with 22REs, not the V6. I think that there is a MAF off a 2.8L Camry of the same vintage that may be larger (more power potential).
Old 02-14-2009, 12:33 AM

hey matt16,
didn't you do this to your 22re? what are these guts everyone swaps? the inlet hole is larger on the supra afm and it already runs pretty good so i can't stop myself from messin with it now. I have two stock afms so if it works out i'm gonna go back and forth between afms to see if i can notice a difference.

Drew
Old 02-14-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 89pickupsr5
hey matt16,
didn't you do this to your 22re? what are these guts everyone swaps? the inlet hole is larger on the supra afm and it already runs pretty good so i can't stop myself from messin with it now. I have two stock afms so if it works out i'm gonna go back and forth between afms to see if i can notice a difference.

Drew
I ended up finding two '82 Supra AFMs, I'm installing one on my 22RE when it gets here (10 day?) and I'm selling the other one. I may take apart an old AFM i have in the garage to see how it all goes together and then maybe, I'll look into converting newer Supra AFMs to use the 22RE circuit board.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:30 PM

I found an AFM out of a 1990 4 cam which needs alot more air than a single over head cam 3.0 the throat is way bigger and i got 60 km per tank with more throttle response...I put a rectangular K&N filter and tore out all the crap in the front " breather box" rerouted the vacuum lines to the main 3" intake tube and it works great.....
Old 02-14-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Irwin Goodlove
I found an AFM out of a 1990 4 cam which needs alot more air than a single over head cam 3.0 the throat is way bigger and i got 60 km per tank with more throttle response...I put a rectangular K&N filter and tore out all the crap in the front " breather box" rerouted the vacuum lines to the main 3" intake tube and it works great.....
edit: nevermind...... I misread your post.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:04 PM

i got the afm for free so i just wanna make it work. the more i drive it the more i like it. i just wanna see if i can get that door to close. like it should. it doesn't wanna die any more, i adjusted it a little better. i like it. even if i can't get that door to close i'll still do a writeup of what i did.

thanks for the replies, please keep em comin
Drew