Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

supercharged 3vze

Old 09-01-2014, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supercharged 3vze

Im looking into makeing a eaton m90 supercharger work with a 3vze i have already turbo charged my 3vze but its just a bit to laggy since its so far back. And dont want to build a smaller y pipe and stuff to get exhaust velocity up. I already have water meth injection on its way for fuel and wideband from turbo and all that fun stuff. Either im going to mount it off to the side almost near the altenator or on top with a custom intake manifold or modify the existing One and tig welding a base then cutting a square out of the top of the intake and blocking off the original entry. If you have and ideas or suggestions let me know.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was looking into something like this but the head gasket issues with the 3VZ stopped me from doing it. They have a habit of popping and forced induction doesn't help. I was going to remove the A/C ad mount it there.

How much boost are you putting out with your turbo?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
for the amount of research of doing a turbo or supercharger on a 3vz. you can figure out how to do a 5vz swap.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:26 AM

Subscribed!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:58 AM

I was running 5psi of boost. And it did wonderful besides bad gas millage. I dont want to be like every one else with the 3.4l everyone does it. Only reasonable engine swap would be either a 4BT or ford 460bb for me but both of those require exstensive frame reinforcement. And what not. The head gasket isnt a problem i have headers. The good thing about the m90 are they are easy to get and cheap. $100-$190.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbopickup24
The head gasket isnt a problem i have headers.
beg to differ, I blew a top end with headers. there's no stopping it, just delaying it. think terminator. judgment day is inevitable.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:19 PM

Only reasonable engine swap is a 4bt cummins or BBF? Be different and supercharge the 3vz. How long has your motor been boosted? Original or has it been rebuilt before?
Old 09-02-2014, 01:23 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
You're going to need some of this stuff
Old 09-02-2014, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by JasonYota
Only reasonable engine swap is a 4bt cummins or BBF? Be different and supercharge the 3vz. How long has your motor been boosted? Original or has it been rebuilt before?
Its a rebuilb with 15-20k miles on it. My last one had a bad rod bearing. Its been boosted about 5 months now. You cant tell me a cummins 4bt wouldnt be freakin cool or a BB for that matter.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Robert m
You're going to need some of this stuff
Thats awesome i dig it.😁
Old 09-02-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Turbopickup24
Its a rebuilb with 15-20k miles on it. My last one had a bad rod bearing. Its been boosted about 5 months now. You cant tell me a cummins 4bt wouldnt be freakin cool or a BB for that matter.
True it would be very cool. But you said reasonable, a jet engine would be cool but not reasonable.
Any-who keep is updated if/when you supercharge the 3vz
Old 09-02-2014, 07:53 PM

Supercharger would be cool,, But I would think looking into a better EFI system would be better start or your going to keep running into the same walls.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Punchy
Supercharger would be cool,, But I would think looking into a better EFI system would be better start or your going to keep running into the same walls.
The efi system isnt that bad. Its real close to whats on the 5vz. And coud use upgrading walbro 190lph and the supra injector weather there high or low impedance you can get both and a adjustable fuel pressure regulator it all can be done with a little money
Old 09-02-2014, 10:42 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Punchy
THIS! these ECU's are just too dumb to keep up with anything performance wise. I'll be going stand alone for my swap soon because i've hit limitations with the ECU.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Eaton M90 is good for up to 5.0 liters so the 3.0 should be well within its range without running out of air. When I was considering supercharging I really spent some time researching the 3.0 engine. If it were me I'd go with at least forged dished pistons to bring the compression down into the 8ish range and run forged rods. In the end I still wasn't confident that I could solve the head gasket problem and didn't think I could get the exhaust side of the heads to flow well enough to make use of the blower but that's just me.

5 lbs boost isn't bad. I would think that a properly sized turbo for that range should spool up pretty quick so the turbo lag should be minimal. I'm running 18-19lbs on my 88 turbo coupe and it's got some lag below 2400 rpm. Now that I'm not using the M90 for the 3.0
I'm looking at using it to twin charge the turbo coupe. Should be able to use the SC to eliminate the turbo lag down low and get the turbo to pick up when the SC runs out of breath. This should allow me to run a larger turbo that picks up around 3000+rpm and get more high end boost. Found some really good info on some VW forums (surprised me too) as VW has put out some production twin charged vehicles

You could consider twin charging as well but if you are looking to run in the 5psi range I'm not sure it would really be worth it.

On a side note if you were really wanting to run a super charged engine in your rig you might want to consider swapping in the entire engine from a Super Coupe. The Ford Super Coupe 3.8s are built to run boosted and are pretty tough. I think there's some info in the engine swap section that covers the 3.8

When I gave up the idea of putting a blower on the 3.0 I pulled the engine and put in a 3.4
Not as much power as a super charged engine but I'm really happy with it

PS: Congrats on getting a turbo on a 3.0
It takes allot of innovation and creative thinking to get there. Well done
Old 09-03-2014, 07:29 PM

The 3vz ECU is one generation ahead of J-Tronics and 3 generations behind the 5vz.
Only real difference between the 3vz and 22re ECU is the finals are beefier to support the 2 extra injectors, The distributor is what determines how many cylinders.
Another thing is that the vain airflow meter are directional and forcing air through it gives different readings then drawing air through it, If you have a leafblower you can test that yourself.

Looking for a 2jz-ge ecu and harness myself but that's a whole nother build thread.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Innocent Fool
The Eaton M90 is good for up to 5.0 liters so the 3.0 should be well within its range without running out of air. When I was considering supercharging I really spent some time researching the 3.0 engine. If it were me I'd go with at least forged dished pistons to bring the compression down into the 8ish range and run forged rods. In the end I still wasn't confident that I could solve the head gasket problem and didn't think I could get the exhaust side of the heads to flow well enough to make use of the blower but that's just me.

5 lbs boost isn't bad. I would think that a properly sized turbo for that range should spool up pretty quick so the turbo lag should be minimal. I'm running 18-19lbs on my 88 turbo coupe and it's got some lag below 2400 rpm. Now that I'm not using the M90 for the 3.0
I'm looking at using it to twin charge the turbo coupe. Should be able to use the SC to eliminate the turbo lag down low and get the turbo to pick up when the SC runs out of breath. This should allow me to run a larger turbo that picks up around 3000+rpm and get more high end boost. Found some really good info on some VW forums (surprised me too) as VW has put out some production twin charged vehicles

You could consider twin charging as well but if you are looking to run in the 5psi range I'm not sure it would really be worth it.

On a side note if you were really wanting to run a super charged engine in your rig you might want to consider swapping in the entire engine from a Super Coupe. The Ford Super Coupe 3.8s are built to run boosted and are pretty tough. I think there's some info in the engine swap section that covers the 3.8

When I gave up the idea of putting a blower on the 3.0 I pulled the engine and put in a 3.4
Not as much power as a super charged engine but I'm really happy with it

PS: Congrats on getting a turbo on a 3.0
It takes allot of innovation and creative thinking to get there. Well done
Thanks for all the good info i just want to go fast well not crazy fast but more of a get up and go quickness. Dont need anything thats going to get me another speeding ticket.