Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Summer build/work

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer build/work

So i don't have the photos uploaded yet, but I thought I would update you all on my summer project i got going right now. I have been needing to do my clutch as the throw-out bearing has been making some noise and the clutch has had some chatter now and again. picked up the MC heavy duty clutch kit and pressure plate bolts.

Other part of this work time was putting in my Detroit EZ-locker. I pulled my diff and took it to the shop and had them install it and setup the gears for me. I would have done it myself, but I am going to be driving a lot to college the next 4 years and I just wanted to make sure it was done right.

Only problem i had was the drain plug on the diff stripped out. buggered the threads on the housing. Hopefully going to get the tap tomorrow to clean them up and will be able to put it all back together tomorrow night. Got new plugs too. Anyone else have that problem?

The flywheel i am going to have turned tomorrow and have it by about noon, so i am hoping to get the trans and the new clutch in by tomorrow night. hopefully the diff tuesday morning. Flushing the diff, trans and transfer case fluids with Valvoline 80w-90.

One question: What's a good rule of thumb for breaking in the clutch? How many miles before I let's say: tow with it, and/or take it off road?

will post some picks soon!

Last edited by Alex 400; 08-17-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I spent a good 3000km breaking my clutch in. No heavy throttle, don't go over 3,000rpm... Just take it eassssy.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jay351
I spent a good 3000km breaking my clutch in. No heavy throttle, don't go over 3,000rpm... Just take it eassssy.
wow, that far? I mean i want it to be done right but, that is quite a ways. didn't think it was that far. thanks for the info.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I went for the "better safe then sorry" route. Im sure you could get away with a shorter break in period.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Well, I went for the "better safe then sorry" route. Im sure you could get away with a shorter break in period.
well two reasons that distance alarmed me. 1. i don't drive that much maybe 350 miles every two weeks. the longest distance i drive is to go wheeling hahaha. 2. I have heard 500-800 miles of city driving, getting it up to temp (not all highway) and letting it kinda set in.
of course this is not very intense but still working it a bit.

Last edited by Alex 400; 08-18-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:35 PM

pictures

Dad cutting fill plug off.

i was tired

diff back from shop

you can kinda see the locker in there

there's the trans/transfer combo

no oil leaks, well, from the main seal hahaha

drain plug, whoops.

MC heavy duty clutch kit

double wound shock springs

1200 pound pressure plate

hope to work finish up maybe tonight. thanks folks.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice, Alex! Didn't go cheap on the rear main, did you? I wish I'd gotten a better one than I did. Now, I have to wait until the next clutch job....and, it's the Marlin HD. That'll be a while...pfffth!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Nice, Alex! Didn't go cheap on the rear main, did you? I wish I'd gotten a better one than I did. Now, I have to wait until the next clutch job....and, it's the Marlin HD. That'll be a while...pfffth!
no the main isn't leaking at all actually. what you see is residue from my recently fixed leaky valve cover gasket.

what do you think of the marlin HD? From the looks of it, I think it has to be one of the better ones on the market.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I really, really like it. It grabs well and it feels good. Especially since I have a new MC and slave. Flawless.

How old is your rear seal, Alex? Those aren't at all hard to change, eh.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by thook
I really, really like it. It grabs well and it feels good. Especially since I have a new MC and slave. Flawless.

How old is your rear seal, Alex? Those aren't at all hard to change, eh.
to be honest i don't know. can't do it now, got the clutch on hahahhaa. it actually looked really good, no seepage or anything. i did question it though. got the flywheel and clutch on.

flywheel

pilot bearing

clutch

got to wait for my fasha to get home so we can jack the trans up in there.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:00 AM

Finished!!!

finished about an hour ago. took it out for a drive and man, the clutch is so smooth! can't believe how great it feels. the locker is great. the slack isn't bad. It is hard to tell how well/smoothly it ratchets because it is down pouring right now and all of the roads are slick because it hasn't rained in a while. so i don't know that much. drove it about 2 miles and it feels great. will drive it a bunch more tomorrow. and i will post a picture of the beast that i was driving around when my 4runna was out of commission. A 1965 chevy C20. oh yeah.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:13 AM

thats some nice work..how about a Write up or a step by step guide...lol

good job
Old 08-20-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Myron
thats some nice work..how about a Write up or a step by step guide...lol

good job
thank you!

might try and do that. didn't take enough pictures to do a real good one but i could walk someone through it in words if need be.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:44 PM

here is the red beast hahahaha

Old 08-23-2008, 08:24 AM

alright, the detroit is leaving. the damn thing will never unlock. in the time that i have had it i think it unlocked 3 times and all the other times it just drags the wheels around the corners, with no ratcheting. got on the freeway the thing popped and one side completely lost power almost sending me into the lane next to me. I jumped the gun on this one. having them put the old spider gears back in it, and going to leave it open until I have the money of enough dedication to get an ARB for the back.

it sucked. gaaaaaaaaah

on the plus side, the clutch is amazing

Last edited by Alex 400; 08-23-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:44 AM

maybe u should just have the detroit installed correctly, since you already have it. why pay more for ANOTHER locker.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by pepsibluefloat
maybe u should just have the detroit installed correctly, since you already have it. why pay more for ANOTHER locker.
I had it set up by 4 wheel parts. I installed the third in the truck I am going out their today and having them drive with me to see if it is working right or not. I jumped the gun and got what i paid for as far as i am concerned. I want to put my spiders back in until i can get a selectable locker. I don't plan on getting one right away, though.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:43 PM

So i just got back from 4 wheel parts and my ride along session with the mechanic. I backed out of the parking spot, he said, "hmm, it didn't unlock." Then I made a turn in the parking lot and proceeded to drag the wheels and have them squeal around the corner and he said, "ok, you can park it now, that is not normal." they told me to bring them the third on monday and they will completely disassemble it and figure out what is wrong. If they fix it, I will use it and make sure they give me my spider gears and bits back so I could go back to my standard diff if i want to. I am starting to be a little more optimistic now.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:31 PM

good. they should take care of it. If not, they should give you your money back for parts AND labor and re-install your spider gear for you.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by pepsibluefloat
good. they should take care of it. If not, they should give you your money back for parts AND labor and re-install your spider gear for you.
That's what i am thinking. I want it to work right and it obviously wasn't. they were very nice about it and they said bring it in, tonight i am pulling it again. I will take more pictures this time so I might be able to make a step by step instruction for guys who want to see how to take out the differential.

Quick Reply: Summer build/work