Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Stupid stupid fuel issue: 86 22RE

Old 03-25-2010, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid stupid fuel issue: 86 22RE

I have had a really irritating fuel issue with my truck for awhile. At least, I am quite sure its a fuel issue. Its a 86 22RE. Before, it would hesitate and cut out under acceleration. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and ignition coil were replaced. Also the MAF was swapped with another one, and the TPS as well. The timing appears to be alright (so says a mechanic anyways). I changed the fuel filter as well

I checked the fuel tank, and there we have it, some nice rusty, watery gas came out. I cleaned out the tank real well, and re installed it. I put some methyl hydrate in with the gas to ensure there was no remaining water. I hooked it all back up, and it worked, somewhat. It was very hard starting, but once it started, it ran like a dream. So the truck ran for just over a day, and then it stalled and would not start in an intersection. I had to get it towed back to my parents place. I can start it, but it will stall on its own after about a minute of idling, and if i hit the gas pedal with any force it cuts out and dies.

The only thing i can think of, is that I am not positive that i got the vapor/return lines on without mixing them up. I marked one when i took it off, but the paint got washed off. That and I will try changing the fuel filter again. Any suggestions?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Methy hydrate? Oh, you mean methanol.
How much of this waterized fuel was in the tank? Did you top up the tank with fuel after you added the methanol?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:37 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
fixed your thread title
Old 03-26-2010, 02:55 AM

My 86 has a machanical fuel pump I assume your does too?
Might want to try that, Autozone has them for $40.

Be sure that your Choke is working correct, maybe it is not opening?
It is the butterfly on the passanger side of the carb.

Next time it dies, give it a shot of starting fluid before you do anything to see if it will fire right back up. If it does it would seem fuel related.
Mine never dies while running, but will not start after sitting all night with a shot of starter spray.

With that kind of stuff in the tank, your carb might need cleaned? You could try some spray cleaner for that, if that helps, run a bottle of Lucus gas treatment in it for the next few tanks.

I agree with trying a new filter after you cleaned the tank.

Good luck.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by seagullplayer
My 86 has a machanical fuel pump I assume your does too?
Might want to try that, Autozone has them for $40.

Be sure that your Choke is working correct, maybe it is not opening?
It is the butterfly on the passanger side of the carb.

Next time it dies, give it a shot of starting fluid before you do anything to see if it will fire right back up. If it does it would seem fuel related.
Mine never dies while running, but will not start after sitting all night with a shot of starter spray.

With that kind of stuff in the tank, your carb might need cleaned? You could try some spray cleaner for that, if that helps, run a bottle of Lucus gas treatment in it for the next few tanks.

I agree with trying a new filter after you cleaned the tank.

Good luck.
The OP has a 22RE, fuel injected.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:24 PM

I'm pretty sure it was methyl hydrate I was told to use.. And IIRC thats what I put in my tank, about 2/3 of a litre. I then put $20 of gas in my tank.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:26 PM

anyone?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:20 PM

BUMP! Anybody?
Old 04-01-2010, 02:06 AM

Sounds like a gummed up fuel filter.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you have covered the obvious, the next step would be to test if you have a weak fuel pump. The Fsm requires you to test at the cold start injector with a special service tool (sst), I doubt if you have that so the first things to check would be to short terminals Fp and B+ of the fuel pump check connector. If you don't know where these are, you will find them on the drivers inside fender behind the power steering resevoir. You will see three round yellow plugs with black rubber covers over them one with one wire, one with two wires and one with three wires, these are check connectors, but they are not the fuel pump check connector. It is another yellow plug that has two female spade connectors orientated 90 degrees from each other, the wire colors are B+ = Green and Fp = brown. Jumper these together use a stort piece of wire with two male spade connectors, some have used a paperclip, which ever way you do it make sure you have a good connection.
Once jumpered turn the ignition key to the run position, you should hear the fuel pump running and if you can squeeze the rubber fuel hose to the fuel rail you should be able to feel pressure you should also be able to hear the fuel returning to the tank in the return line.
If you can hear the fuel pump running, but can't feel pressure or hear fuel moving in the lines, then you may have a faulty pressure regulator, a weak fuel pump, or the fuel pump screen in the tank may be plugged.
How did you get the crud out of your tank? Did you remove the pick-up assembly and clean it out that way, or flush it through the fill pipe? If you had very much crud in your tank, I'd be checking the screen on the fuel pump. It is very fine mesh and it wouldn't take a lot to plug it. Try these things first, if they don't work then you will have to figure out a way to test your fuel pressure.
Fuel pressure is supposed to be 33-38 psi and the system is supposed to maintain above 21 psi 5 minutes after the engine is shut off.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:39 PM

Thankyou for all that information. I will have to try that out. When I cleaned out the tank i had it out of the truck, and I took the fuel pump out and stuck a pressure washer down in there and cleaned it out that way. I also cleaned out the fuel pickup/pump in a solvent tank and blew it out with compressed air afterwards.

Another thing I forgot to mention is the fuel return/vapor lines. I am not 100% positive that I got the lines put on properly without mixing them up. Could this cause the truck to run well for a day or so, then quit?
Old 04-05-2010, 01:17 AM

Another tidbit of info on this. After letting it sit without being touched for 3 or so days, it started up easily and idled fine for about 2 minutes before it started sputtering..fuel filter? I am going to change that filter tomorrow or the next day, as soon as I have time, i really hope thats it. Such a PITA to change though, i have done it once before
Old 04-05-2010, 01:01 PM

Did changing the fuel filter fix the problem?
Old 04-05-2010, 01:38 PM

Similar to the issue I'm having check out my thread " half tank sputter 22re" I'm still getting everything sorted out