Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Stumble, Misfire on 3vze

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stumble, Misfire on 3vze

I'm having some issues. Have a 95 4runner with the 3vze (160K miles). A couple times when I started it in the past it'd run rough for a few seconds, idle low, stumble a little bit then be perfect. The other day when I started it, it made a constant cho cho train sound like one cylinder was missing. Not to many miles ago I replaced all of the spark plugs, then when it started missing I did all of the wires, cap and rotor. Now its constantly idling rough, and at 40+ MPH I can feel it surge every couple seconds like the engine is cutting out.

There is no check engine light, and I jumpered the diag terminal to see if it had any stored codes, no codes.

My thoughts are first thing is I'm going to take out each spark plug and see how they look, but some suggestions on the order of checking things would be helpful. I'm guessing it either has to be missing spark or bad/clogged injector.

Oh, and one thing that makes me kinda worried is while driving it the other day, sitting at a light the tach went to zero but the engine was still running, kinda wondering if I have a bad coil/igniter
Old 11-19-2013, 06:40 PM

Any update? Did you fix it? Same problem With mine.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is how you diagnose a 3.0

Take a regular 6 sided dice. Write head gasket on 5 sides. On the 6th side, write roll again.

Roll the dice..

Kidding aside, this is a dead 2 year old thread. If you are having an issue...start a new thread with as much info on your truck as you can. Year...engine..trans...pictures...good description of symptoms.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by thafluffinato
Any update? Did you fix it? Same problem With mine.
From what I remember the intake hose that ran from the airbox to the intake manifold was dry rotted and cracked at the manifold, I wrapped a bicycle innertube around it and it's still working like that. Hah...

Check for an air leak in your intake.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:39 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Desp
From what I remember the intake hose that ran from the airbox to the intake manifold was dry rotted and cracked at the manifold, I wrapped a bicycle innertube around it and it's still working like that. Hah...

Check for an air leak in your intake.
They tend to crack in the folds of the joints. Take it off and hold it up to the light while bending it. If you can see light getting in, you found your crack.

thafluffinato- Have you checked your plugs/wires/cap and rotor? My co-workers 3zve just started doing the same thing, we replaced plugs/wires/cap and rotor and now it runs like a top.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by rattlewagon
They tend to crack in the folds of the joints. Take it off and hold it up to the light while bending it. If you can see light getting in, you found your crack. thafluffinato- Have you checked your plugs/wires/cap and rotor? My co-workers 3zve just started doing the same thing, we replaced plugs/wires/cap and rotor and now it runs like a top.
Yup did all of those, turns out it was the injectors. Bought a reman set from flamethrower on here,replaced them. Ran great for about 20 miles, right back to the same problem. It had me scratching my head like what else could it be? No check engine light, good compression on all 6, new cap, rotor and spark plugs and wires. Found the misfire moved from cylinder 1 to 3. Removed intake manifold, and turns out one of the reman injectors was bad, had 1.8 kilo ohms resistance when the rest had 12 ohms. Replaced that injector, runs better then ever before!