Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Stuck Starter---Maybe

Old 01-07-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck Starter---Maybe

I posted a thread about a month ago about a mystery electrical problem (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...tarter-196971/). I wound up pulling out some fuses after the car had sat for two days, and then the car fired up with an extremely rough start, it kicked out some white smoke. For ahwile I thought I had a coolant leak, and the leaking coolant had hydrolocked my engine, and that is why it would not start. However, Since then, after some injector cleaner, an oil/filter change, and 1400 miles of road tripping, I have had zero problems--and lost no coolant what so ever.

So this evening was our first rain in awhile here in Mexico City. I drove my 4Runner to work this morning, and back home with absolutely NO problems what so ever.

I hop in my truck after a few hours of rain, I go to turn over the engine, and I am back to my mystery problem from a month ago:

The car has a full charge, and I go to the crank the engine, and it is obviously sending a full charge to the starter, but the internal lights dim (gauges and clock) and nothing happens---no click, no nothing.

Can a stuck starter receive electricity and not budge at all? Should I tap the starter with a wrench and see if the bristles are stuck? Can the rain have anything to do this?

I pulled the fuses to the ignition and charging system, and they are both fine. I tried starting the car with the clutch start cancel engaged, and nothing.

I am going to try again tomorrow. At least for now, I am thankful that this happened in front of my house, instead of during the 1400 miles we just hauled through the back country of Oaxaca.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:18 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

First off does your windshield leak at all that water could be getting into the underdash area at all.

I have had no end of problems with the clutch switch on my 87 toyota pick up and 4Runner that I now just jumper them out.

look real close at your ground cables this could be a problem.

Bad spot on the starter that is a possible cause . did the little wire that energizes the solenoid fall off

A quick check vehicle out of gear E-brake on run a jumper from the positive side of the battery to the to the small terminal on the solenoid or you can cheat and jumper it right off the positive cable at the starter.

At that point if you have nothing I break out the jumper cables and run a ground from the battery right to the starter and try again.

If it now cranks it is a poor ground repair that see if that fixes the issue if not there is also a problem in the start circuit somewhere.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:27 AM

Check your voltages at the starter when the key is turned to on (both your constant and your switched) you might need a mate to help...there is only TWO possible scenarios. Either power is not getting to the starter, or the starter is faulty...they do not 'stick'.

If you have a good constant supply to the starter and your switched power is good then you have an issue with the starter. Alternatly if you dont have good power (most likely an issue with your switched power) then you have a problem with the starter circuit.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by milehigheric
Check your voltages at the starter when the key is turned to on (both your constant and your switched) you might need a mate to help...there is only TWO possible scenarios. Either power is not getting to the starter, or the starter is faulty...they do not 'stick'.

If you have a good constant supply to the starter and your switched power is good then you have an issue with the starter. Alternatly if you dont have good power (most likely an issue with your switched power) then you have a problem with the starter circuit.
So I do not have a voltmeter, but I do have test light. I checked the power coming to the solenoid, when the car was cranked to start, and the light lit up. So I believe the starter is receiving "switched" power. How would I go about checking constant power?

I have not tried jumping the starter. In fact, I am a little hesitant to try it while it is still raining cats and dogs here, so I think I shall wait for the weather to clear before I try it. Can I simply use a piece of electrical wire to connect the terminals? Somewhere I read about using a flathead screw driver to get the two terminals on the starter to touch.

I will check for any leaks through the windshield when I get home from work.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:38 AM

I am going through a similar prob right now; just the loud ' click' as the solenoid, is obvioulsy charging, but no turning over. Mine is turning out to be a
bad starter... new they are about 200 to 250 bucks, with exchange and installation.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:49 AM

You can rebuild most toyota starters yourself for ~$30-40 in parts. Hardest part is removing the starter.

Search for Starter Contacts.

I don't know if that will help the OP's problem, but if the solenoid is clicking, this may be your problem. Try tapping/banging your starter with a hammer then try to turn the truck.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm sure you already did this but just in case.......

I had the same problem and it turned out to be a loose connection of the ground cable from the battery to the engine block. I didn't find this out until after I'd replaced the starter, I actually found it during the install of the new starter.

Check all your connections.

Oh and you can rebuild a Toyota starter for very little if you have some time.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:25 AM

Definitely I have some time. I will check all the connections first, starting with the battery ground. Also, going to give the starter a decent crack with my hammer, and see if that brings a little magic.

Anyone recommend any threads about rebuilding the starter? Do i have to get Toyota specific parts, or can general parts be used for replacement? As I mentioned, I am in Mexico City, and only new Toyotas are on the market here--I am living in Nissan Country.

Thanks again for all the useful advice. This is by far the best forum for the Toyota owner.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

It might help.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:08 PM

It's hard to remove the starter? I was allways under the impression that this was pretty easy...
Old 01-08-2010, 08:35 PM

Sounds like a ground to me. Check not only the ground on the battery, but also the engine grounds, there should be 3 i believe.

I had a problem a while back with my 86 not starting, after testing the battery and the alternator, and rebuiling my starter with no success i finally took it in to be diagnosed, turns out all of my engine grounds had somehow broken off.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:07 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

you also might want to check for corrosion on the plug to the starter solenoid.

As I said before the clutch switch can drive you crazy .

there is also the start relay on the right side of the firewall. another good place to check for corrosion

I have found the easiest way to get the starter out is from the front on the floor after removing the oil filter .

Two long 3/8" extensions your good to go.

I think I drop the front drive shaft on the front to give me room

For me the hardest part is getting it back up in place and getting out once it is loose

Old 01-09-2010, 02:47 AM
Contributing Member

I had this problem,turn the key and nothing. finally after trying a hundred times it would start. Problem would come and go, worse when it was cold. did everything everyone has mentioned. I added a relay for the starter, and it cured my problem. It has something to do with the switch wire being weak or something like that.
4Crawler has the how to on his site. it is fast and simple.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:49 AM

Some came with start relays others didn't...I forget which year was the cutoff however. That is why I suggested starting with some voltage readings (on both the constant supply for the starter motor and the solenoid switch power wire) at the starter whilst attempting to start. If you don't have battery voltage (+/- .5v) then you have a voltage drop issue (in which a relay would help).

If you fail to get power on either terminals then you will troubleshoot back down each circuit...If you do get readings near battery voltage then you should check grounds and if the problem persists after a ground check then pull the starter and get it tested.

Electrical circuit troubleshooting is all about finding out what it can't be and the one thing remaining is your answer/issue.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:51 AM

Update

So, it finally stopped raining.

Here is what I did:

Checked for internal leaks under the dash, and all is dry.
I went out and checked the ground wire connection from the battery to the solenoid, and it appeared to all be in tact. Tried to start the car with clutch engaged, and nothing. I tried with the clutch start cancel, nothing.
I do believe all I hear is a click.
Went back with a wrench and wacked the starter two or three times.
Went back, with clutch engaged, and started the car---HOWEVER, it was a real rough start, a had to pump the gas to get it to catch, and keep the gas pedal depressed to keep it from dying, it kicked out a large cloud of white smoke. This happened last time, and it made me think I had a coolant leak, but like I said, I have not lost a drop of coolant during the last 1300 miles. Both times that this has happened, the car has sat for over two days--can that cause the white cloud of smoke.

I need to get a voltmeter, so that I can get a reading from the power supply as per milehigheric's suggestion.

Also, having it start after a few smacks from a wrench would lead me to believe that I need to rebuild my starter. The starter seems like it is in a pretty unfriendly location. Anyone have experience with pulling these out?
Old 01-10-2010, 09:57 AM

...yes you are right, it does sound like your starter is going out on you...
this is exactly what mine did; a few times I got it to start, it was a tough start. It took a few seconds before it would kick over and catch, and while it was cranking , it sounded like the battery was weak at turning it, even though it isn't. And let me tell you, it only was able to start up like that 2 or 3 times...
after that..... dead starter.

Last edited by rangerruck; 01-10-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:13 AM

stand by for alot of cussing like a little girl and throwing tools across the garage.. floor
Old 01-10-2010, 11:15 AM

just rebulid your starter.. its simple..
Old 01-10-2010, 12:46 PM

that is a good price from the dealer no doubt, I am getting mine, plus installation for 200; I guess it depends on where you are , what part of country, who you are getting it from , etc,., on the cost. So the 200 to 250 is me assuming you would be having a mech getting it for you, and installing it...
You could proly go to a junkyard and get it for 50 bucks, and install it yourself.
I happen to really like, and thoroughly trust my mech. So for me, the 200 bucks or so, is fine with me, plus he will lifetime wrrnty it.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:58 PM

make sure your battery cables are in good condition

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuck Starter---Maybe