86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Strykersd's Turbo 4runner build

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strykersd's Turbo 4runner build

A little under a year ago I sold my last 4runner ( https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-build-199851/ ) and picked up this

Although I still have the bike, after a few months, the bug finally bit me and I needed a new wheeler!

Here's my new rig, a 1986 turbo automatic 4runner. I drove 740 miles round trip to get it and towed it back!

The story behind this one is that it’s been sitting for ten years. I picked it up for $1500 (plus another $300 for the gas and tow dolly rental to get it) with only 128,000 miles. Like my last one this one has almost every factory option, power windows, power locks, cruise control, power antenna, sunroof, A/C, tilt and altitude gauges, manual locking hubs and map lights. The only thing it’s missing that my last one had is a clock, which I might just add myself later. To make the deal even better, the dash isn't cracked!

This one needs a decent amount of work before it’s trail ready. The problems I’ve found so far
-passenger door is dented in badly. So badly that you can stick your hand into the 4runner with the door closed. That’ll soon be replaced.
-My power steering high pressure hose is cracked and leaking badly. Turns out Toyota wants $300 for a new one, I’ll have to wait until I find one at a junkyard.
-leaking radiator
-wrong size battery without stock tie-down. This one starts the car just fine, but I'd like to have the correct capacity for when I'm in the middle of no where.
-Passenger window doesn’t work. The motor is fine, not sure what it is
-Rear window control from the driver seat doesn’t work but it works with the key. I’ll have to figure that out later
-the handle on the inside of the tailgate doesn’t work.
-broken power antenna. On my last 4runner I went through the effort to repair it and have it working, on this one I just want to replace it with a whip antenna I don’t have to worry about every time I go off roading
-broken rear passenger side taillight cover. I found a new cover for $28
-broken front passenger parking light. I found a new one for $24
-passenger seat doesn’t slide forward, but that’s to be expected on these 4runners. I’ll just order another cable from the dealership
-missing carpet. No rush there, I’ll get to it eventually

Although most people would convert this truck over to a manual W56 transmission, I’m planning on keeping the automatic transmission and giving crawling with an automatic a chance. If I feel that the automatic and hydraulic transfer case robs me of too much power, I’ll just swap the hydraulic transfer case for a gear driven one.

I’m stoked to take what I’ve learned from my last 4runner and use it on this one! Plus to make it even better, the guy I sold my last 4runner to did a solid axle swap on it and still has all my old parts: 4:88 locked front differential, BJ spacers, SDORI IFS truss and OME leaf springs.

I'll snap some pictures tomorrow morning and update this thread then!

Total Project Cost so far: $1500

Last edited by strykersd; 02-07-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice score buddy. Looking forward to see this one built
Old 02-06-2012, 06:41 PM

Nice!
Just get the clock at a junk yard. The wiring/plug is waiting for your behind the little knock-out in the dash. Trust me.
On the pwr steering hose, just get a new one at Autozone. Seriously. It may not last another 26 years but its inexpensive and available all over.
It's gonna be a fun project!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:53 PM

Yeah buddy! Looking forward to more pics!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These turbo toyotas can be a pain in the ass. I'm still gathering parts to do a head gasket,timing,turbo on it. You will probably be doing the some of the same in the near future. Of course hopefully the PO of yours doesn't leave you with all sorts of surprises of half-assedry every time you work on it.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:21 PM

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

Originally Posted by desertcamper67
Nice!
Just get the clock at a junk yard. The wiring/plug is waiting for your behind the little knock-out in the dash. Trust me.
On the pwr steering hose, just get a new one at Autozone. Seriously. It may not last another 26 years but its inexpensive and available all over.
It's gonna be a fun project!
Tony, good to know about the clock! And good looking out about the hose! For some odd reason I though Autozone wouldn't have it. Turns out they have them for $38! I'll pick one up tomorrow! I'm hoping to have it fully operational by Tiera Del Sol's Desert Safari in a few weeks!

Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson
These turbo toyotas can be a pain in the ass. I'm still gathering parts to do a head gasket,timing,turbo on it. You will probably be doing the some of the same in the near future. Of course hopefully the PO of yours doesn't leave you with all sorts of surprises of half-assedry every time you work on it.
That's why I was relieved to find a low mileage and what appears to be untampered 4runner turbo! I sure hope it's not a pain in the ass! I've done a decent amount of work on my past turbocharged vehicles so I do have experience. I'm hoping to put down some good power numbers with this build. The plan is to throw in a set of 22re pistons, a 22re head and a set of ARP head studs and up the boost to 9PSI. Maybe I'll start thinking about replacing the turbo, I'm not a fan of water cooled turbos.

Last edited by strykersd; 02-07-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:59 AM

we need some more pics
Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 PM

Here are some pics of the 4runner

The body is in good shape other than the pounded in driver door and dented tailgate. The 4runner came with a passenger side taillight and parking light, but I removed them to be replaced. The taillight lens was cracked in two and the parking light was just wire tied in place. The front bumper is pretty rough too, but I'm not worried since I plan on removing it and installing a tube bumper anyways. The rear bumper is pretty nice, but I'm selling it to help fund a wrap around tube bumper.

Today I did replace my high pressure power steering line, so that's no longer spraying ATF! Thanks to living in a large town, I was able to find one at my local O'reilly's for $40 out the door. While replacing it, I remembered how much of a pain it is to remove the lines from the power steering gearbox. To make this easier, most people just cut off an inch or two of the lower portion of the driver side metal wheel well. This allows you to use a open ended wrench perfectly perpendicular to gearbox. Since my PS line was already cracked, I took the easy way out of cutting the line as close to the PS gearbox as possible and using a deep socket.

Total Project Cost so far: $1540

Last edited by strykersd; 03-05-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by strykersd
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

Tony, good to know about the clock! And good looking out about the hose! For some odd reason I though Autozone wouldn't have it. Turns out they have them for $38! I'll pick one up tomorrow! I'm hoping to have it fully operational by Tiera Del Sol's Desert Safari in a few weeks!

That's why I was relieved to find a low mileage and what appears to be untampered 4runner turbo! I sure hope it's not a pain in the ass! I've done a decent amount of work on my past turbocharged vehicles so I do have experience. I'm hoping to put down some good power numbers with this build. The plan is to throw in a set of 22re pistons, a 22re head and a set of ARP head studs and up the boost to 9PSI. Maybe I'll start thinking about replacing the turbo, I'm not a fan of water cooled turbos.
That sounds like the way to go. Keep the turbo pistons though,don't use the 22re pistons. Use the 22re head though. Turbo pistons with RE head should put you around 8:5:1 CR. That's the route I'm going (engnbldr street/rv head and 270 cam).The factory turbos are junk and from everything I've heard have a life expectancy of 60,000 miles. I'm putting a ct26 off a supra on mine. Why are you not a fan of water cooled turbos?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson
That sounds like the way to go. Keep the turbo pistons though,don't use the 22re pistons. Use the 22re head though. Turbo pistons with RE head should put you around 8:5:1 CR. That's the route I'm going (engnbldr street/rv head and 270 cam).The factory turbos are junk and from everything I've heard have a life expectancy of 60,000 miles. I'm putting a ct26 off a supra on mine. Why are you not a fan of water cooled turbos?
I'll probably start off with just a 22re head and ARP head studs, but whenever I need to tear into the block I plan on swapping in 22RE pistons. I've turbocharged vehicles up to 11:1 compression without a problem, just have to make sure it has a good tune.

I just dislike water cooled turbos because of all the extra coolant lines, just more things that could fail.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:58 PM

Do you plan on running a stand alone? Getting a good tune is gonna be hard with the primitive engine management on these things. And even with arp's high CR on these motors won't mix well. Do a little reading on http://www.22rte-trucks.com/simplemachinesforum/
Old 02-09-2012, 02:09 AM

Nice find. I would have been all over that.

Turd nice forum link.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:29 PM

Here's a few more pictures of the 4runner, including pictures of the damaged driver door

And the engine!

I've been working a ton lately and managed to get a case of food poisoning, so the only thing I've done to it in the last few days was to replace my passenger side front driving light and passenger side taillight cover. Bought both new for $53.

In other news, I'm planning on getting all my old parts from the guy I sold my last 4runner too. He still has my old locked 4:88 front differential but I need to pick up a rear differential. After asking a few friends I discovered that one of my buddies has a 4.88 e-locker rear axle just sitting around that he'll sell me with wiring for just $500! I'll probably pick it up sometime this week!

Total project cost so far: $1593

Last edited by strykersd; 05-10-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:24 AM

$1889. Nice. I would to find a turbo runner for that price.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:43 PM

Know how every time someone buys a solid axle for a solid axle swap they show the obligatory axle shot. Well why can't I have an IFS shot?

I bought the setup off my old 4runner off it's new owner who swapped a solid axle in it's place. What I bought back
-4:88 differential with lock-right locker
-OME rear leaf springs
-BJ spacers
-manual locking hubs
-SDORI IFS frame brace
-V6 rotors
-Idler Arm

All for $280! I'm planning on selling off my stock leaf springs, the manual locking hubs and stock differential and try to make some of my money back!

That's all for now!
Total project cost so far: $1873

Last edited by strykersd; 05-10-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:48 PM

very nice find. diggin the build so far.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 PM

Been working on the 4runner a ton lately!
-installed my front 4:88 front differential and lockright locker
-installed BJ spacers.
-installed my rear OME leaf springs. That was a huge pain! The front leaf spring mounting bolt seized onto the metal sleeve in the leaf spring, so I had to cut the bolts out. I was hoping the stock shocks would be long enough for now, but they are barely long enough to bolt up at ride height. Eventually I wanted to have 12" Bilstein but I'll probably buy them soon since I don't want to buy a set only to upgrade again in a few months.
-I welded in my SDORI IFS brace. On both my past 4runner and this one, the differential sits on the brace itself, but it never rattled in my old 4runner so I doubt it will on this one.

All pretty boring stuff, but I'll try to post up a picture of how it sits now tomorrow when it's light out.

I also started selling off my stock parts. I sold my extra set of IFS hubs for $80! Bringing the total project cost so far down to: $1793

Last edited by strykersd; 05-10-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Nice project!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:52 PM

Got some more parts and some work done on the 4runner. I picked up an trussed and armored, 1986+ width, 4:88 elocker rear axle with a longer than stock Earl's/Pro Comp steel braided brake line for $500. Although I don't need the longer brake line at the moment, I'm hoping to get 12" of travel out of my rear end in the next few months.

Here's a pic of the axle after I picked it up

Here it is installed

Although it bolted right in, I do have a few things I still want to do to it before I call it good. Firstly, my buddy didn't run an load sensing proportioning valve, so I need to either weld on a bracket to keep my LSPV or delete the LSPV like I did on my last 4runner. Long term, I want to delete it, but at the moment it would be cheaper to just keep it. I haven't decided which way to go yet. Secondly, I need to wire it up. And finally I want to get an e-locker motor guard. Is Inchworm the only one who makes these? I can't seem to find them anywhere else.

Next up on my list is to find a set of wheels and 33X12.5 tires!

Although I spent $500 on the rear axle, I sold my stock leaf springs, front differential and rear axle for $310, bringing my total project cost to: $1983

Last edited by strykersd; 05-10-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:54 PM

JUst read the thread you are a master of the budget build looks good man.

Quick Reply: Strykersd's Turbo 4runner build