86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stripped Head bolts please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripped Head bolts please help!

I have seen some posts on exhaust bolts but cant find any info on the main head bolts . I put a new oil pump in and found a huge leak on my engine. When I replaced the head gaskets I went to tourq them down and they were mostly all stripped , I realy cant afford much is there any GOOD way to fix this with out a new block?
Old 06-26-2008, 04:43 PM

I would first contact a local machine shop with your problem.Permatex sells a product to repair striped threads.But its hard to beleave that all of the bolts are stripped.Have you tried new head bolts?
Old 06-26-2008, 04:47 PM

well its 5 bolts , I couldnt even get them to 30 ftlb. permatex o.k. I will call around, thank you very much for the info!
Old 06-26-2008, 06:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
make sure there is no oil or debris in the bottom of the holes
you might find that the holes are deeper than you thought.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Machine shop is the best bet. I had a similar incident happen before and thats or the repair kit is all you can really do.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:41 PM

if you know someone at a toyota dealership, they have this special tool to get stripped bolts out.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:26 AM

If this was a part of the engine that repeated bolt removal has been done, i could see that they could be worn out,or when the head was installed someone used a Impact to install the bolts.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope. Your all wrong. As I was having my head job done,I found out that once the original head blots are removed. You CAN NOT reuse them. They are considered "stretched". You need to get some new ones.
Might wanna get a part time job though. I paid $300 for an entire set(both heads).
Cheers!
Old 06-28-2008, 01:40 PM

holy s^&( ,for some bolts?
Old 06-28-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you're talking about a 22r engine here, right? Typically, for discussion, on a 22r, you are safe to re-use your head bolts, but NOT on a 3.0.
Regarding your stripped threads in the block... I can't imagine how a heli-coil could be installed down in that block, but that would be the ONLY fix I can think of that would actually work. The head bolts are THE ones that are the MOST CRITICAL regarding torque. If you really want to drive your truck a while, find a reman shortblock, or get a good rebuildable core. You're far enough into it, you should just pull that dogged out block, and change the whole enchilada, block, clutch, get the head looked at, replace the timing set, and miscellaneous external parts.... then drive it for a couple hundred thousand more miles.
And dont spend $300 for your next set of head bolts for your 3VZE, I have a new set that I did not use, from ENGNBLDR, I'll GIVE you for the shipping.. ;-) I think they were $25...

Last edited by misterzee; 06-28-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:18 PM

No offense misterzee...but why don't ya just tell the poor guy to buy a complete new Yota?
For the cost of replacing everything in the driveline (engine,clutch)as misterzee had mentioned,might as well just go buy another Yota and eventually end up with a similar problem.
Dude. Just take misterzee up on his offer for the bolts he has. It's worth it to just replace the bolts.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by h22ajspec
I realy cant afford much is there any GOOD way to fix this with out a new block?

Guessing that misterzee didnt read this part of the original post.
:>)
Old 06-28-2008, 03:36 PM

you can reuse the bolts.. i did
Old 06-28-2008, 04:09 PM

I suppose its remotely possible that you could drill and helicoil those stripped threads... in the vehicle... YIKES

h22, feel free to PM me, I would love to send you my set of v6 headbolts. FREE :-)

Originally Posted by dutchboy
No offense misterzee...but why don't ya just tell the poor guy to buy a complete new Yota?
For the cost of replacing everything in the driveline (engine,clutch)as misterzee had mentioned,might as well just go buy another Yota and eventually end up with a similar problem.
Dude. Just take misterzee up on his offer for the bolts he has. It's worth it to just replace the bolts.

Last edited by misterzee; 06-28-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:18 PM

I have to laugh every time I read "the 3VZ head bolts are torque to yield". Where did that crap come from? The sticker on the valve cover tells a mechanic to torque to a value then turn 90 deg twice if I remember correctly. When you yield carbon steel it work hardens and lengthens. Why would you want to do that to a head bolt? Please enlighten me. What many head bolts do suffer from is corrosion, torsion, tension, thermal conditioning and thermal shock. That is reason to replace them.

My $0.02
Old 06-28-2008, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by SEAIRESCUE
I have to laugh every time I read "the 3VZ head bolts are torque to yield". Where did that crap come from? The sticker on the valve cover tells a mechanic to torque to a value then turn 90 deg twice if I remember correctly. When you yield carbon steel it work hardens and lengthens. Why would you want to do that to a head bolt? Please enlighten me. What many head bolts do suffer from is corrosion, torsion, tension, thermal conditioning and thermal shock. That is reason to replace them.

My $0.02
I agree with you for all the aforementioned reasons, PLUS they're cheap! LOL ( $39.00 from engnbldr ) Why scrimp, and then get to enjoy the opportunity to practice on your motor again in a few months.....
Old 06-28-2008, 04:36 PM

Just replace the bolts, you'll thank yourself later. I shelled out almost $80 for ones for my cadillac, it was worth it.

PS, I don't care what the labor rate is, with a caddy, its worth it.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by SEAIRESCUE
I have to laugh every time I read "the 3VZ head bolts are torque to yield". Where did that crap come from?
"Crap", as in it ain't true? Or "crap" as in, what a stupid system?

If the latter, I agree.

I have no knowledge as to reliability of the fix over time, but the head bolts have to hold a bit over 50 ft./lbs., and Helicoils should be up to that. It can be done in the vehicle as easily as on the bench.

The best fix is what was described, replace the block, necessitating a rebuild, and it only makes sense to do the clutch at the same time. That may not be the most convenient fix, but it is the most quality fix, and in my experience the fix does not often ask us which option is more convenient. Unfortunately.

Helicoils are better than no truck at all though. If you fix it thusly and flip it, don't hide the fact that it was repaired this way. These things have a way of coming back to you.

There is another possibility, however: if the threads are pretty well carboned up, it is possible that the carbon is actually creating 30 ft./lbs of resistance, and the bolt is not yet fully seated. If this is the case, and this should be possible to confirm by continuing to tighten the bolts that are not yet torqued to 58 ft./lbs. until they seat and the torque value goes up, then the fix is to pull the head, chase the holes with a thread chaser, clean and blow them out, and try again with new head bolts. And a new head gasket possibly. Don't just torque them and call it good, because you have measured how hard the bolt is to turn, not how well clamped your head is, and it could very well likely warp.

You can reuse 22RE head bolts, but given what happens to them over time (mostly carbon, drivers side toward the rear), I wouldn't.

Last edited by Red_Chili; 06-28-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:53 PM

I'd start by taking all the bolts back out, cleaning, and re-tapping all the holes.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by chevota88
you can reuse the bolts.. i did
Is it still running,without leaking heads,or is the vehicle you reused them on long gone and you have no clue what the reused bolts did?

I've heard of cheap,but when it comes to head bolts,if the man. recomends replacing them after they are removed,at any nominal fee,I'd replace them.
Yeah,I got burned almost $300 for mine (stealership ripoff artist),but it's better then wrenching everything back together and later having to tear it all down again,due to...ignorance of cheapness.
Some things are just not woth cutting corners on.

Quick Reply: Stripped Head bolts please help!