Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Strange intermittent noise from hub when locked

Old 01-17-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strange intermittent noise from hub when locked

1986 5spd with manual aisin hubs

This only happens when the hubs are locked. Typically when it happens its in 2Hi and there will be a terrible vibration/grinding noise from the drivers side hub. The noise/vibration is relative to speed. This happens about half the time.

I can make the noise stop by either slowing to a near stop and it goes away, or by shifting into 4hi and applying throttle. If i just throw it into 4hi while rolling(no input from the trans i.e. clutch in) the noise continues. I can shift into 4hi and be going downhill and it will stop too (because there is input from the trans) sometimes it comes back as soon as i put it into 2hi again… and its sometimes there in 4hi when theres no load...

What causes this? I have read that maybe the brass bushing or it needs to be greased..

I replaced the cv's when i regeared a few months ago but it didn't help ( i remember having the problem last winter) it seems to be getting worse.

I can just get the parts and rebuild the hubs but id like to know why this is happening and what is causing it before I start.

its very frustrating as id like to be in 2hi on the mostly bare pavement but about half of the roads are packed snow here and the hills are pretty nasty to be driving with the hubs unlocked

Thanks
Old 01-17-2012, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried 4 hi without locking hubs? With the hubs locked and 2 hi the dif. is still moving by the front wheels. 4hi without the hubs locked dif. is moving by the TC.

Last edited by sechott; 01-17-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Pull the hub off and visually inspect it.

:wabbit2:
Old 01-17-2012, 03:38 PM

I could pull it off and inspect it…again... but being as this is the only pair of manual hubs I have ever looked at I wouldn't know if something is wrong. I had the hub off when I did the cv's….and didn't notice anything wrong with it. It'd be handy to have some pictures of a good hubs innards or a good hub to reference when I'm looking at it...

It feels and sounds to me like the hub is partially coming unlocked when this happens…

sechott: Are you suggesting to do that to eliminate the differential? because it did this with the old 4.10 front third too.

Thanks for the replays guys, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by jeetS; 01-17-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
My bet, you put the big spring in backwards when you removed it or put too much grease in it and the pawl isn't fully engaging/disengaging the axle splines.

:wabbit2:
Old 01-17-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeetS
I could pull it off and inspect it…again... but being as this is the only pair of manual hubs I have ever looked at I wouldn't know if something is wrong. I had the hub off when I did the cv's….and didn't notice anything wrong with it. It'd be handy to have some pictures of a good hubs innards or a good hub to reference when I'm looking at it...

It feels and sounds to me like the hub is partially coming unlocked when this happens…

sechott: Are you suggesting to do that to eliminate the differential? because it did this with the old 4.10 front third too.

Thanks for the replays guys, I really appreciate it.
Yeah just trying to help you trouble shoot.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 PM

thanks guys

This has got me thinking… If i remember correctly, this truck used to have Warn hubs, and the previous owner replaced them with the aisins that are on it now.

maybe he missed something…I don't remember a big spring in either side…but it was several months ago so I may have missed that….

i guess wait till it thaws and bust out the FSM and see if anythings missing or backwards in there…