86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Strange grinding, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange grinding, please help.

Alright, I have an 86 4x4 with a 22r, I was driving to work today, and a problem started. So to make it short and sweet, there is a loud grinding (not like if you're shifting and don't engage the clutch all the way) It's a little more whiny than that, and the noise starts when I'm driving and shifting. As soon as I engage the clutch it starts grinding, and as the motor looses RPMS, it slows and goes away. Then whIle I'm in gear, it doesn't make the noise as long as there is a load on the engine/transmission, say I'm going 65mph, and I get to a downhill part of the highway, as soon as I let off while still in gear, it grinds. When I got off the freeway, even in nuetral with clutch disengaged, it has spurts of grinding. I found that barely pushing in the clutch stops it. I'm pretty lost as to where to start looking. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds like the throw out bearing. How many miles since the clutch has been changed out?
Old 02-08-2017, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Sounds like the throw out bearing. How many miles since the clutch has been changed out?
Well the truck has 250,000. I changed the motor about 2 months ago, but as far as the clutch, I didn't really have the extra funds while I was in there to change it, I needed my truck back asap. And I'm not sure before that, I've had it for two years, so unfortunately that's unknown.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:45 AM

Did you use the old throw out bearing too?
Old 02-08-2017, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Did you use the old throw out bearing too?
Against my better judgment, yes I did. I have a clutch kit waiting for me when I get off work, so I'm going to drop the tranny tonight and get the clutch and TO bearing swapped, hopefully it works.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by ol_beardy
Against my better judgment, yes I did. I have a clutch kit waiting for me when I get off work, so I'm going to drop the tranny tonight and get the clutch and TO bearing swapped, hopefully it works.
Been there . . . good luck.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It does sound like it is your Throw Out Bearing. They can get noisey and I had a bearing to just lock up and no way of getting it to spin. I too will not swap out a clutch just because a motor or transmission is out just to save on funds. But if the Slave Cylinder is old or has not been changed out fairly recently, I will swap it out as it seems to me just as soon as I get it all back together, a short time later the Slave Cylinder will fail. That is one part I wont skimp on.