Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

still smoking on startup. still frustrated.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
still smoking on startup. still frustrated.

I'm about to do a leakdown test on my truck the next time winter permits. But until then, I'm still in the dark.

6 months ago I did the head gasket. It smoked intermittently before we did that. Now, it smokes after startup after it's idle for a few hours and cools off.

I dont want to have anything done professionally because it's expensive. A leakdown test will cost $100. For $100, I can have the head redone (which may solve the problem.) But the problem is, when we did the head gasket we did have new valves put in and new seals (not sure about valve guides)

So my question is: Where can oil leak into the engine and cause it to burn up? It only smokes for a few seconds on startup and then goes away. Does not leave a trail as I drive.

I did a compression test in all the cylinders but the compression, for the most part, seemed to be fine. I really dont think it's piston rings.

Would it be worth it to remove the head and redo EVERYTHING? (anyone have a head they want to sell me?)

I'm just trying to find this leak without spending a fortune. I want to replace the O2 sensor and muffler and cat, but not if it's going to get clogged and damaged from this smoke.

By the way, it's definitely oil burning smoke, not coolant. It doesnt smell sweet at all.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smoke when you first start is usually from the valve stem seals. The seals usually fail for 3 reasons. They can just wear out from high mileage or running low on oil alot. They can become dry and brittle from old age or the valve guides can be worn out and wipe out the seals from the valve moving around too much. Most cars get new valve seals without pulling the head, but the 22re, you have to pull the head bolts and there is a mixed review on putting them back in without replacing the head gasket. Hope this was some help
Old 02-05-2009, 11:41 AM

I replaced the stem seals myself. Must not of done it right. I also heard the valve guides can do it, which is why I was concerned about those.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:46 PM

When you redid the head, did you have it resurfaced or checked for warpage? When you put the head on, did you chase the threads in the block and make sure that they were clean? The valve guides in 22re, Im not sure if its brass or steel, but they seem like there not a huge problem, but any engine thats been run low on oil for a while, will wear out the guides pretty quick. Im not sure if a leakdown test can pickup on valve stem seals, more for valve seat wear and ring wear is what we used it to pick out. What kind of head gasket was it? Its pretty tough to screw up valve seals, so you probably didnt put them on wrong, but if the guides were shot, that wobble in the valve will wipe the new seals out really quick. Is there one spark plug more fouled than the rest?
Old 02-05-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 22mr2
When you redid the head, did you have it resurfaced or checked for warpage? When you put the head on, did you chase the threads in the block and make sure that they were clean? The valve guides in 22re, Im not sure if its brass or steel, but they seem like there not a huge problem, but any engine thats been run low on oil for a while, will wear out the guides pretty quick. Im not sure if a leakdown test can pickup on valve stem seals, more for valve seat wear and ring wear is what we used it to pick out. What kind of head gasket was it? Its pretty tough to screw up valve seals, so you probably didnt put them on wrong, but if the guides were shot, that wobble in the valve will wipe the new seals out really quick. Is there one spark plug more fouled than the rest?
All the spark plugs look the same.

When we did the head, we didn't have it resurfaced, but we did have it pressure tested (we saw a scratch and thought it could be the start of a crack) and we did get new head bolts. We even had it hot tanked and cleaned the head bolt holes. We did also check it for severe warpage. It seemed good.

-edit-
as for the gasket brand, i'm not too sure. originally i got just a head gasket (felpro) and my fiance's father (who helped me) returned it for me and got a complete gasket set instead. It was from autozone, so I'd imagine it was felpro again.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 02-05-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:43 AM

Yes, if you got it from the zone it was felpro, which is decent quality. When u did the compression test, did u do a wet and dry test? How many miles on the lower end? How much oil does it burn? Qt every 500 miles?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:48 PM

Sounds like Valve guide seals to me. Mainly because it only smokes on started up but without knowing the color of the smoke its hard to say for sure. Valve stem seals if not installed correctly can wear out VERY fast. There is a few ways to test to see if its fuel or oil thats causing it. This is rather old school but chemtool spray when you 1st start it up. Take off intake tubing and spray directly into the throttle body. This isnt sure fire but if the smoke goes away then its more then likely fuel issue. If its oil then the smoke shouldnt be effected. Just dont spray a lot of chem tool in at once.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:43 PM

Color of the smoke is bluish white. Definitely oil and not coolant.

It burns oil, but not a whole lot. Since my last oil change I've only had to put a quart in, and that was about 2 months ago. So it is burning oil, just not a lot.

As for the compression test, i did it wet and dry. Both results were about the same. Upon startup after I did the wet test the exhaust smoked a lot. A lot more than when I start it up in the morning. i was trailing smoke for a few miles while I tried to burn off the oil.

I thought it might be the valve guides. Just wasn't sure. Now it seems more likely now that everyone else thinks so.

Anyone have any recommendations on where to get valve seats ground and new guides pressed? I got this done at carquest, and It's probably too late to go back and have them do it right again. (Plus, I wouldnt trust them again if they messed up the fist time). Any shops or chains to recommend? Anyone in the Loveland/Fort Collins colorado area have any places?
Old 02-06-2009, 03:23 PM

Curious what your compression is at for all 4 cyc. because even if they are even you could be getting blow by. Wet test should show that but not always.
If its the actual valve guides themselves then the new seals should have stopped it for the most part till they fail but I believe you said it smoked ever since new head gasket. If thats so then I would say that one or more of the valve stem seals wasnt on correctly and its seeping.
You said you pulled the plugs and all of them looked ok. I would say let the truck over night. Then start it up for like 10 seconds then shut it down and pull the plugs. If its got oil in one of the cyc then after a few strokes of the motor it might show signs of it on the plugs. Besides that if it isnt burning a lot of oil and it stops once its warm then it might not be worth your time tryin to figure it out. You can always go buy some seal sweller and see if it makes a diff.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by crazykooter
You can always go buy some seal sweller and see if it makes a diff.
been trying to find that stuff in all the auto shops I go to. i can never find it.

I believe the compression test was about 160 psi for all the cylinders. Somewhere about there.

Forgot to mention that bottom half has about 280k miles on it. It's been well cared for and the previous owner was a mechanic. Top half has maybe 3000 miles on it now.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 02-06-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If it runs well and only uses a bit of oil why worry about it?
Old 02-06-2009, 05:43 PM

I wouldnt reccomend FelPro for headgaskets. But I wouldnt be tooo concerned now either.

1 qt every oil change isn't bad at all. I was burning through 1 qt every 1000 miles and i wasnt showing any blue smoke, not even on startup.

New head now, I probably kill half a qt between oil changes. Which proved to me it was all in my top end that was leaking the oil (and i had no external leaks either)

Usually when they do a pressure test they re-surface the head.

probably guides/seals that are leaking.. allowing oil to pool in cylinders. I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it's only on startup and 1 qt every oil change.

280k on the low end is a lot though.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:14 AM

Napa sells the engine sealer, its either crc or siloo who makes it. I have tried it once or twice on oil puffers but never had much luck. Someone had told me the additive that swells the seals is very similar to brake fluid but im not sure if thats accurate. With 280 on the block, its a coin toss on how much life is left in the lower end. From you said, it sounds like seals or guides for sure. Talk to some parts stores or stop by a few local garages and ask who does there machining work. You may want to consider swapping another 22re out of a lower mileage truck instead of redoing that head though.