86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Still runs bad when warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Still runs bad when warmed up

Hey guys, I'm back again.

I'm STILL having issues with my truck after is warmed up. The first 5 minutes of driving makes me love my truck. Plenty of pickup, power, speed, etc... After that, it bums me out

I'm trying to determine if its possibly running too hot. Also, trying to figure out every part/sensor that is effected by the temperature change.

To bring everyone up to speed, I've changed all these parts within the last few months, trying to figure this problem out.

Head gasket, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, TPS, O2 sensor, cam shaft, rocker arms, fuel filter. All these parts are OEM. The head is about 2 years old from Enginebuilder.com

I've swapped AFM's, I've tested voltage readings at the ECU, tested fuel pressure, had my injectors remanned, tested distributor and ignition via FSM.

Compression is good with all cylinders at about 165.

I'm still unsure what could possibly be going on at this point. The truck feels like its running lean, or getting extra air somewhere, but my idle is pretty darn smooth.

Any opinions or help would be appreciated, once again.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
So what exactly is it not doing that is should?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

I'll try my best.

Once it warms up, it feels as if it is hesitating. It feels like I have a 500lb load in the back of the truck (double checked, and no I don't have dead fat guy in there). I can't go up hills unless I am probably pushing 3500 rpm.

When I did my head gasket, the first 2 days afterwards felt "tight"... Full power from 1000 to 4000 RPM, great acceleration, etc... Now, when I change gears, I have to rev the motor up inbetween shifts, otherwise it bogs down. Like I said the best way to describe it is that its under a lot of load. Its very bizarre.

I reset my re-torqued my head bolts, then valves, then timing about 500 miles after the head gasket job.

I honestly, cannot imagine on what it is. It feels like the mixture is not right, or the timing is off. But, from all the research and tests ive done, they all seem to check out.

Last edited by BajaRunner; 11-01-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
almost sounds normal to me. Depending on what kinda of hills we are talking. Remember you have a camper on the back of that as well.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like it has to be an EFI issue. I didn't see the coolant temp sensor in your list did you check that? Do you have a Denso o2 sensor? Can you swap the ECU somehow with a known good one?

I don't think it's normal since you like it while it's warming up. It should run better when it hits temp...
Old 11-01-2010, 01:10 PM

might be worth another go at the TPS adjustment. That bastard is hard to get perfect.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Hey guys,

Yes I know I have a camper, but its very lightweight... The truck has always done this

The ECT sensor spits out good readings when I test it with ohm meter, weather its hot or cold. Its original. I would have to buy an ECU from a yard I believe...Which I am almost willing to do here soon.

The TPS seems awfully perfect to me. I can't imagine it being that, but who knows!?!? It seems like its adjusted to the T.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:43 PM

Could be an EGR temp sensor. I started having the same issues recently but mine are intermittent, and mostly after I shut the truck off and restart it after it is warmed up. Too many darn sensors on these motors.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

The EGR temp sensor will throw a code though. I had to clean mine out.

Speaking of EGR, I have tried blocking off the EGR flow, and it doesn't change. I am currently running it with a 1/4" restricter plate.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

The last two items I'd suspect are the distributor & the VAFM. Not inexpensive to replace, for sure.

That said, USUALLY when a vehicle runs good cold then like crap when it's hot it means there's an unmetered air leak (vacuum hose or intake). But that usually means a miss at idle, which you said you don't have.....

?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah Rabbit, I hear you. I swapped the AFM with another 22re and it did the same thing.

Distributor I have not swapped. :/ Yeah they are not cheap .... mehhhhhh...
Old 11-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Lastly, the engine just sounds like crap when its warmed up as well. Its not chain slap, or the injectors or the valves, but, it just has this sound like almost like an exhaust leak, but its not. Only under load.

I think I am having some spark knock only when in 5th gear and I am sort of low RPMS... every other second i hear a little ping/knock noise.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
Lastly, the engine just sounds like crap when its warmed up as well. Its not chain slap, or the injectors or the valves, but, it just has this sound like almost like an exhaust leak, but its not. Only under load.

I think I am having some spark knock only when in 5th gear and I am sort of low RPMS... every other second i hear a little ping/knock noise.
Exhaust leaks WILL only show under load, especially if they are before the CAT.

Chronic pinging sounds a LOT like distributor...
Old 11-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

SO if I am sitting there, and rev the motor trying to hear exhaust leaks, I wouldnt be able to feel them with my hand at the manifold?

I know with past engines, I could hear and feel the exhaust leak when not under load.

I noticed that the manifold gasket I put on (new) has burnt edges where it contacts with the header. That would make sense since the engine ran great for the first 2 days, but crapped out afterwards. The gasket might have already failed? The head is new and the headers are new. They seemed straight to me. Maybe I should go at it with some copper RTV? What do you guys think?
Old 11-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

stuff a potato in the exhaust & hit the gas; any exhaust leak WILL show itself~
Old 11-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Hahahha! I love that idea... Ok I'll try it. ... WOuldn't it just kill the engine? I have to keep on the gas?

I also now remember the last time I did a sea foam treatment that smoke seemed to be coming from the engine bay somewhere. :/ I couldn't pin point it, but this time I will .
Old 11-02-2010, 09:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think my 4runner is related to your truck.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

OK I'll quadruple check the timing/idle. I am certain I have it correct... But, its been a while since I checked again.

This is what I do:
Warm up enngine, drive it around until its nice and hot. Jump connector, make sure its at 750 RPM. Adjust to 5*, pull connector, see that idle jumped a tad and advanced timing to about 12*. Set idle to about 850. Right?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
that's right, FYI when you jump the timing connector correctly the CEL will also come on to to let you know you have it right.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Well I didn't have time to check anything today, however I am sort of leaning towards the exhaust leak.

If anyone has noticed my threads the last few months, I've pretty much gone through every sensor, part, etc....

The fact that the truck ran REALLLY good for 2 days after I did all the head gaskets makes me think one of the gaskets failed. I can see that the exhaust gasket has black carbon burn marks from the header flange. I got felpro gasket set from NAPA. The gasket set I had taken off was completely destroyed by exhaust heat/gasses.

Does anyone use the copper RTV in conjunction with the exhaust gasket? Do people have problems with headers "burning" the exhaust gaskets? I honestly think this may be my problem. I hear a weird noise under load, which I could see being exhaust gasses escaping.

Quick Reply: Still runs bad when warmed up