Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Still Not Right

Old 07-07-2008, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still Not Right

Well, my truck was running like crap, so i replaced the distributer cap, rotor,
o2 sensor, air filter, plugs, wires, TPS and put suction to the egr valve which is fine. it ran a little better but not like it did. come to find out the back fuel injector was not working due to faulty wiring. fixed the wiring and runs alot better, but still runs strange. when i first start it after the engine has cooled,
it acts like it doesnt want to stay running and i have to give it gas. when i give it gas the rpms drop and it boggs down and then corrects itself. then when i take off it keeps jumping or putting when im still in first gear just creeping slow. once it warms up it seems to stop and runs and idles just fine. im stumped. any suggestions?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Did you change the fuel filter ?, a plugged fuel filter can cause the problems your having. Are you sure all the injectors are working ?, if they are then they might be plugged. You might also consider just sending them into a place that can clean and flow test them.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
replaced the fuel filter about 20,000miles ago. i'll check the other fuel injectors tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I did mine, I sent all the injectors for cleaning. I also took the lines and the fuel rail off and flushed/cleaned them as well. A new filter wouldn't hurt.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
ah the old "Change parts til its fixed" routine.

#1 Get yourself an FSM
#2 Start troubleshooting.

I seriously doubt the fuel filter is causing the problem, tho i have been wrong before. Start out testing the electronics....ie AFM, TPS, etc etc.

If all those pass, then start looking to the fueling system.

Search this Thread