86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Still blowing efi fuse

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still blowing efi fuse

cannot for the life of me figure out this problem. Ive checked recheck a checked again all my connection wires and components. Does anyone know of a good diagram for exactly where grounds are supposed to be connected on a 1993 toyota pickup dlx 2.4. I just cannot seem to locate the short. Really need help. Anyone have any advice on what i should do. Is there maybe a certain machine that can locate shorts. I have put so much money blood sweat and tears and time into this rebuild and just need help to locate this stupid short or bad connection.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you add your location to your profile? Possibly a member who lives in your area would be willing to take a look at it with you.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:55 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Sometimes a second set of eyes just looks and sees the problem.

I do this at work and it makes the younger techs mad.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:23 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
On another post...
Originally Posted by mattg1982@yahoo.com
...I'm almost positive it is the white red stripe wire that sends power to the injectors and comes from the efi relay...
Nope. IF your schematic is same as first-gen 22RE, injectors do not take power from EFI Relay. They take power from 30-Amp fusible links via "F" wire and IGN2 contacts.

... where grounds are supposed to be connected on a 1993 toyota pickup dlx 2.4...
You do not really need to know exactly where grounds are. Rather, you want to see where insulation of your your hot wires (12V) has worn out and allowing the 12V wire to contact bare metal of body, OR white wire with black stripe (ground wire for Toyota's of that generation).

Got schematic?

Let's start with these...

When exactly does EFI fuse blow?
EFI fuse blows as soon as you turn ignition on?
EFI fuse blows only when you you put ignition switch to Start? If only when you put in start, could be wiring between Circuit Opening Relay and Fuel pump.
Oxygen sensor wiring not shorting to ground?

To play it safer and not waste fuses, do resistance checks.
Remove EFI fuse. Find side of EFI fuse socket that gets 12V. Do NOT use that side. Use the side that does not have 12V when IG is on (White wire with blue stripe on first gen 4Runner 22RE).

Multi-meter set to ohms, not beeping continuity. One probe to White-blue side of EFI fuse

One side to ground.

You should get high resistance. Close to 1 ohm means there is that short we are looking for.

Disconnect EFI main relay, and try to replicate the problem. This will isolate the following wiring:
C.O.R.,
O2 sensor,
VSV to ECU,
AFM wiring,
Wiring to ECU pin "B"

Also here's 1986-1988 22RE schematic. Should be pretty close to yours. Low resistance reading (i.e., close to 1 ohm) indicate short condition exists. Inspect all wires and components in red rectangles. Find out which when disconnected gives you resistance readings much higher than 1 ohm.
Name:  EFI_Fuse_Blows_Probe_zpsf04b23de.jpg
Views: 3670
Size:  97.1 KB

Anything?

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 06-23-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: updated schematic to show where to probe for resistance.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:08 PM

Ok fuse is not blowing anymore buuuuuut

Soo i figured it out there was a wire coming from pos terminal on batteries i had it bolted down to the frame like a ground duuuuuh but im not sure what that wire is supposed to power its really close to where the ac compressor is located and it really does look like a ground wire no plug just a hole for bolt to go through ???!?!? Does anyone know what this wire is for????
Old 06-23-2014, 08:09 PM

THanks for the help guys
Old 06-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you post a pic?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:01 AM

Soo i figured it out there was a wire coming from pos terminal on batteries i had it bolted down to the frame like a ground duuuuuh but im not sure what that wire is supposed to power its really close to where the ac compressor is located and it really does look like a ground wire no plug just a hole for bolt to go through ???!?!? Does anyone know what this wire is for????
Pls post a pic. Nevertheless, a wire connected to battery positive terminal bolted to ground will not, absolutely not blow the EFI fuse. That wire would melt IF your battery is strong.

Did you do the checks I listed above which will help you find the short?
Old 06-24-2014, 12:56 PM

Thumbs up

Now I would have loved to see that .

Touch the ground terminal to the battery post poof !!

How long till it opened ?? Would depend on the size of the wire and the magic smoke in the battery .

Not near as exciting as when a big cap lets go.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:21 AM

Ok i was wrong about the power wire bieng grounded but nonetheless i got the fuse to stop blowing and i got fuel preasure. Awesome right no!!! It fired right up and sounded great for all of 3 seconds then died ahhhhhh wth. So tried to crank it again nothing rechecked all my wires. They where all good fuse wasnt blowing but it just wouldnt turn over like its bound up or somtn. So i put a breaker bar on the crank pulley and it would not turn either direction. So what now??? Thanks for the help guys i really need it this is my baby and its my only vehicle. What should i Do?
Old 06-25-2014, 11:55 AM

Pull the spark plugs out and see if it will spin over by hand or with the starter.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:18 PM

Red face

Did you have it in gear??
Old 06-25-2014, 06:58 PM

still nothing but click when i try to crank it with the key. I got it to spin freely with breaker bar on the crank and everything felt smooth after a few turns. then i hooked everything back up and tried to start it but nothing only click. I even tried to jump it with my buddies truck but nothing and thats when i threw my breaker bar at it. fml what should i do why is this bs happening????????????????? want to break out my 357 mag python and shoot it till its super dead. please help me!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:11 PM

Sounds like the starter contacts now. Have you tried to push start it to get it running?
Old 06-25-2014, 10:24 PM

still nothing but click
Exactly what clicks? C.O.R.? Starter relay? Starter solenoid?

A problem well-stated is a problem almost solved.

Originally Posted by JasonYota
Sounds like the starter contacts now...
Maybe but not always.
IF this Special Service Tool makes starter solenoid click but still no crank, then possibly solenoid contacts.
IF SST consistently allows cranking, see my cranking system explained.
Also post schematic of your truck so we can see if it has the cranking system flaw I explain on link in my sign.

Have you tried to push start it to get it running?
This will test your ignition and fuel systems, but not tell you what's wrong with your cranking system.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:42 PM

I owned a 22re that blew the efi fuse once a week and I just kept replacing it till I decided to try to swapped out my tps and just so happened the efi fuse did not burn out.My efi fuse was so badly burnt out that I soldered a new 15 amp plug in for the efi fuse.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Blackulua
I owned a 22re that blew the efi fuse once a week and I just kept replacing it till I decided to try to swapped out my tps and just so happened the efi fuse did not burn out.My efi fuse was so badly burnt out that I soldered a new 15 amp plug in for the efi fuse.
... and how did you solve the problem?
Old 06-25-2014, 11:19 PM

I was trying to check my timing and if unable its usually the tps is bad so when I did the swap the efi fuse stopped blowing and I was just lucky to have it repaired both ways.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:13 PM

i live on ft riley kansas if anybody is close by
Old 06-27-2014, 03:14 PM

blackulua ur truck looks just like mine and my banjo bolt to my fuel preasure is stripped now so everything is on hold until i can stop the fuel from spraying everywhere. Then i think I'm going to try to push start it just to see what happens. Then maybe remove starter battery and alternator and take them to get tested.

Last edited by mattg1982@yahoo.com; 06-27-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Still blowing efi fuse